THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 09:57:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilmington, DE Falcons 2014  (Read 17041 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20-Apr-14, 04:39:34 PM »

Just read and saw pics on BCAW that the 2 youngest have been removed from the nest by people there.  Guess it was felt that they weren't going to make it because they were hardly getting any food.  Probably for the best...

I agree!  I was hoping they would do it after watching the last few feedings.  They have a good history at this site of taking chicks in trouble out and then putting them back at fledge once they've grown healthy and strong. 

I thought maybe they might try and foster them somewhere, if possible.  I think it was the right decision...lil bit wasn't getting anything I could see.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23-Apr-14, 07:34:43 PM »

The wee one didn't make it.  crying

http://wilmfalcons.com/blog.htm
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23-Apr-14, 07:44:41 PM »

The wee one didn't make it.  crying

Aww...sorry to hear this.  I knew it was going to be tough for it to survive. Good news about the other one returning to the nest soon!
« Last Edit: 24-Apr-14, 07:39:34 AM by Kris G. » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24-Apr-14, 06:25:57 AM »

The wee one didn't make it.  crying

So sad! 6 is a rough number of mouths to feed. Sad

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24-Apr-14, 09:11:06 AM »

O-o-o-o-h, very sad.   crying  It's good to know that everyone tried their best, though, and that the other removed eyas is doing well.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24-Apr-14, 09:42:57 AM »

O-o-o-o-h, very sad.   crying  It's good to know that everyone tried their best, though, and that the other removed eyas is doing well.

I like when they attempt to help a struggling eyas!! KUDOS!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30-Apr-14, 07:57:08 PM »

Wilmington Falcons
It's with a heavy heart that we have learned the Chick #5 was unable to survive.

Although Craig worked very hard to keep its health up, it's condition started to deteriorate late last week and #5 was taken to Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research for evaluation and diagnosed with a condition called metabolic bone disease. The tissue and muscle were developing from the food consumed but due to a lack of critical elements and minerals, that were not likely available inside the egg, impaired future bone development. The skeletal system of the falcon was dramatically compromised with irreversible damage and required euthanization.

Craig reported that clutches beyond 4 or 5 potentially have reduced levels of essential vitamins and minerals necessary for proper development of the embryo. Unfortunately, this was the case for the last two eggs laid by this female. Peregrine nests with 5 eggs are infrequent but six eggs laid (and hatched) from a single incubation event is rare to unknown. In the Chesapeake Bay peregrine falcon population, Craig has witnessed only one other nest site with 6 eggs but one egg was very small. Oddly, the outcome was never known because the eggs mysteriously disappeared. With regards to falcon pairs with 5 egg clutches, Craig is only aware of three others between 1990 and 2014. Only one pair (not counting Wilmington) hatched and fledged all five.

crying  Fly free, little one.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30-Apr-14, 08:12:38 PM »

Oh, poor sweetie.   Sad Again, I am glad an effort was made to save him or her.  

Interesting to read that the person quoted in the article knows of only three five egg clutches where all five eggs hatched successfully from 1990 through 2014.  I've heard tell of one in Rochester in 2008.  happy Is he just speaking of Wilmington, or is what happened here in 2008 that rare?

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30-Apr-14, 08:41:26 PM »

I think he should have checked his notes before speaking this time...or he was misquoted...Craig Koppie is truly an expert. Mariah & Kaver hatched & fledged 5 successfully 4 times...2003, 2004, 2005, 2008.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 30-Apr-14, 09:21:43 PM »

I expect that he was speaking in the context of 'in my experience' - meaning what he personally has dealt with out in the field as opposed to what he's read on the internet about other sites.
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01-May-14, 08:13:38 AM »

I think he should have checked his notes before speaking this time...or he was misquoted...Craig Koppie is truly an expert. Mariah & Kaver hatched & fledged 5 successfully 4 times...2003, 2004, 2005, 2008.
Wow!  Thanks, Ei.  Four times?  Amazing!

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06-May-14, 03:33:19 PM »

Wow!  Thanks, Ei.  Four times?  Amazing!
That's because Mariah & Kaver were amazing as a couple, (hope she still is)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09-May-14, 10:38:12 PM »

From FB-Banding today...3 males and 1 female!   2thumbsup

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: