THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 05:13:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loch of the Lowes Osprey 2014  (Read 43539 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12-Apr-14, 08:15:39 PM »

They just tweeted - First Egg for Lady!!  notworthy notworthy

SWT Lowes Ranger -SWTLowesRanger 1m

We have an osprey egg at last -a great 50th birthday treat for swt!

I've been reading today that she looked eggy!  Good for her!  2thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12-Apr-14, 08:16:32 PM »

Oh funny, I was watching earlier but she was just on the nest!! Missed it!! THX!!!!!!    Go Lady!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13-Apr-14, 12:25:19 AM »

bravo

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
NCAFalcons
Juvie

Like Count: 51

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16-Apr-14, 12:37:21 PM »

Lady laid her 2nd egg:

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16-Apr-14, 01:08:31 PM »

Woo-hoo! What a Lady!!!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16-Apr-14, 03:39:51 PM »

Hooray for her!   clap

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16-Apr-14, 07:56:58 PM »

Me thinks she is a STAR!  star

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17-Apr-14, 06:05:08 AM »

Wonder where she goes on migration that she comes back so darn fertile?

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 17-Apr-14, 05:41:43 PM »

and my aren't they pretty eggs too
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20-Apr-14, 11:19:13 PM »

Easter egg today...#3!!!!   Shocked

DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20-Apr-14, 11:20:48 PM »

The Lady and Laddie now have three eggs!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 22-May-14, 06:28:00 AM »

Imminent egg hatching
Posted on May 20, 2014 by rangeremma
We are now at the point where we can start to expect signs of hatching.  Staff and volunteers at the visitor centre are all eagerly awaiting and watching for any signs of hatching at the nest.  We would expect the behaviour of the Ospreys to change when the hatchlings are preparing to break out of the egg.  Keep your eyes peeled for the following behaviours.

The eggs being turned more often by the parents during incubation
The female bird head tilting and listening to the chicks inside the eggs calling
The eggs themselves moving independently- not touched by the parents
The appearance of tiny holes or cracks in the eggs as they start to hatch.
Unfortunately as you may have noticed, our male Osprey has been leaving the eggs unattended rather a lot lately.  Last night around 16:48, our male decided to leave the nest.  Interestingly both Ospreys were observed from the hide, soaring and hovering within sight of the nest.  Eventually the female did go back to incubate but we have no idea why they were both so relaxed about leaving the eggs exposed.  Today the Ospreys have continued to incubate and our male has been dutifully delivering fish and taking his turn at incubating.  Although he has left the nest unattended 3 or 4 times with the longest stretch approximately 26 minutes.

All we can do now is cross our fingers and hope that we have a chick hatch in the next few days.

Keep watching the webcam, you might be lucky enough to see it all happen.

Emma – Visitor Centre Assistant

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24-May-14, 08:52:48 PM »

May 23

Still no egg hatching at Loch of the Lowes osprey nest -yet. Everyone has been asking us if we are worried or have given up hope and the short answer is : NO!  I have been joking that the eggs have been waiting until Ranger Emma is back from sick leave ( today) until they hatch -so it should be anytime now!

Today is only  day  40 f0r egg number one , day  37 for egg number two and day 34  for egg number three. Bearing in mind the normal incubation range is 35-40 days, you can see we are still well within normal parameters. It is impossible to be 100% certain which egg was lost in the crow attack ( though we have our strong suspicions) so we are keeping an open mind  and there is still plenty of time for egg two or three to hatch.

Whilst we have not been seeing a lot of behavioural changes in the adults ( such as head titling and listening to the eggs)  these can be very subtle and are not a very reliable indicator of hatching being close.

Lots of people have been asking if the birds know the eggs are not viable and if this explains why they have left them more often this year. We think this is highly unlikely as, if the eggs were unviable, the birds wouldn’t bother incubating them at all- ospreys have often been known to remove damaged eggs from the nest.

Blue YD our young satellite tracked osprey is back in the UK and we will bring you news of his further adventures as soon as we get it. The transmitter  has now moved to a cycle of uploading data every four days so we will bring you more information as soon as we have it.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26-May-14, 08:52:04 PM »

Osprey Diary 26th May
Posted on May 26, 2014 by rangeremma
The wait goes on………no osprey hatching yet, but as you will see on the webcam, it is rather hard to see the eggs condition in any detail just now because on Saturday evening the male bird put a great big lump of moss right at the front of the nest obscuring our view! We are of course concerned  and share everyone’s frustration, hopes and fears. Here’s our answers to the most commonly asked questions over the last few days on ospreys@swt.org.uk

Q: Are the eggs still there?

A: Yes both eggs are still present in the nest , just obscured at the moment.

Q: Will they still hatch?

A: We don’t honestly know, but we hope at least one will. By now egg number one is well overdue, egg number two is also at 40 days ( upper end of the normal range) but egg number three is only at 37 days of incubation tonight. This means all our hopes now really rest with this last egg realistically.

Q: When will you give up hope?

A: If we do not have  any hatching by the end of this week, it will be highly unlikely to happen and we will have to accept it has not been a successful breading year on this nest.

Q: What will you do if they don’t hatch?

A: We will continue nest protection watch until the female naturally gives up incubating  and then remove the eggs under licence and study them for clues. In 2011 this took 70 days.

Q: Are the eggs infertile and or have they been damaged by being left exposed for so long or by the crows ?

A: We don’t know- all these are possible. However, over the last two years, the unhatched eggs were mostly found to be infertile (most likely due to our females advanced age) rather than damaged.

Q: I have heard of eggs being left alone for hours and still hatching- is 90 minutes ( on Sunday night) long enough to be a problem?

A: This all depends on the weather at the time and the stage of development inside the egg. We have heard of osprey eggs near hatching exposed for many hours and still going on to hatch but this was in warm weather.

Q: Why didn’t the female take over incubation when the male left the eggs? She seems less dedicated and more distracted this year.
A: She most likely did not realise he wasn’t at his ‘post’ so to speak, as she was away eating and having some time to herself.  We have noticed she is spending a bit more time away from the nest this year but we don’t have a firm explanation- its a bit of a mystery why. If we do get a chick hatch though, I am sure we will see her usual skilled and dedicated instinctive parenting.

Q: Why is the male leaving the eggs so often?

A: The male is instinctively programmed to chase, defend and provide- he doesn’t have as strong an attachment to incubation as the female. We therefore can’t really blame him for following his instinct and wandering off to chase predators or go fishing. This is why in most osprey pairings the female does far more of the incubation!

Q: Why haven’t you told us where Blue YD is now?

A: We are still waiting for the latest satellite data to be available. The tag has moved onto a pre-programmed four day cycle on the 22nd of May, so the next data  batch is due today- we keep checking and will let you know as soon as we have it.

Ranger Emma

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 26-May-14, 09:12:54 PM »

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. The Lady is a legend and has done her fair share. If this is it for her then so be it.  heart

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: