THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:35:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cathedral of Learning Falcon webcam (Pittsburgh) 2014  (Read 25779 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26-Mar-14, 08:45:53 AM »

Dorothy laid her first egg on March 20.  It appears to be her last, yet she has not begun incubation.

In her prime Dorothy laid an egg every 2.5 days until she completed a clutch of four or five.  She always hatched all or all-but-one.

Last year her age began to show.  Her time between eggs was prolonged, three eggs did not hatch, and one of the hatchlings was too handicapped to live.

Back in 2010 I wrote about what happens when female peregrines age (click here).  Dorothy is now 15, two years older than the average adult life expectancy of 13.  So we’re learning something.

Yesterday Mary DeVaughn coined the term “hen-o-pause” on the Pittsburgh Falconuts Facebook page.  I don’t know if birds experience anything like menopause but it explains Dorothy’s solo egg and her lack of desire to incubate.

She’s certainly the right age for “hen-o-pause.”  By Kate

Poor Dorothy!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26-Mar-14, 02:27:04 PM »

Well, like I said before dear Dorothy has made her contribution to the population of Peregrine Falcons (Beauty being one of them  heart) and if she wants to quit now it's fine by me. Relax and enjoy retirement Dorothy, you've been an awesome falcon and mother!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26-Mar-14, 02:31:10 PM »

Well, like I said before dear Dorothy has made her contribution to the population of Peregrine Falcons (Beauty being one of them  heart) and if she wants to quit now it's fine by me. Relax and enjoy retirement Dorothy, you've been an awesome falcon and mother!  heart

Well said MAK  2thumbsup notworthy
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30-Mar-14, 09:32:42 AM »

What a rough year for Dorothy. It looks like she's trouble producing yet another egg this morning, possibly artound 7AM (see comments from March 24 post for info on the other). She spent last night roosting on a rail above the nest box that would put her right above the new spot this morning that looks a lot like an egg yolk.
It's just not her year.

Latest tweet!   crying

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30-Mar-14, 09:37:09 AM »

What a rough year for Dorothy. It looks like she's trouble producing yet another egg this morning, possibly artound 7AM (see comments from March 24 post for info on the other). She spent last night roosting on a rail above the nest box that would put her right above the new spot this morning that looks a lot like an egg yolk.
It's just not her year.

Latest tweet!   crying

Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30-Mar-14, 09:48:35 AM »

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30-Mar-14, 09:52:08 AM »

tired Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-Mar-14, 01:37:58 PM »

Is she pushing again? I hope she's OK!!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-Mar-14, 01:40:50 PM »

She probably doesn't understand what is happening to her and why she can't lay her eggs.  She's been doing it for over a decade, must be quite confusing for her.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-Mar-14, 02:28:25 PM »

She probably doesn't understand what is happening to her and why she can't lay her eggs.  She's been doing it for over a decade, must be quite confusing for her.

It's not easy getting old for any of us-human or falcon.  Wink

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-Mar-14, 02:28:58 PM »

I feel so bad for her and E2.  It's been a rough couple yrs. for them.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-Mar-14, 03:20:31 PM »

Dorothy's egg and yolk!  Sad

After I blew this up, I saw this:

"This is a closeup of the remains of the recently expelled bound egg. She absolutely needed to pass this egg, but there remains a possibility of an infection from it or a problem with the next egg in line, if there is one. She continues to look stressed, with her feathers "poofed" out more than they should be for the ambient temperature. But, again, it is very good that she was able to expel the bound egg."
« Last Edit: 30-Mar-14, 03:28:37 PM by Donna » Logged

DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-Mar-14, 05:08:22 PM »

I've been watching Dorothy for a bit this afternoon, and she does seem a little off the norm.  Bless her heart, she's a beautiful Peregrine.  She is just standing over the egg and snoozing.  Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-Mar-14, 07:09:09 PM »

Good Ol' Dorothy--if at first (or second, as the case may be) you don't succeed, try, try again! Here's hoping that she will succeed, and have a MUCH easier time with the next egg--she certainly deserves that!

From fb     heart

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30-Mar-14, 09:01:26 PM »

Good Ol' Dorothy--if at first (or second, as the case may be) you don't succeed, try, try again! Here's hoping that she will succeed, and have a MUCH easier time with the next egg--she certainly deserves that!

From fb     heart

heart

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: