THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 03:34:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodmen Falconcam 2014/2015  (Read 34447 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04-May-14, 06:51:49 PM »

I think #4 hatched between 11-12 a.m. today!  I watched the archived feed and it sure looks like half the shell with a little one laying there, as mom was reshuffling. 2thumbsup

2thumbsup 2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17-May-14, 11:52:41 AM »

Mintaka and Hera pair-feeding this morning!  2thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17-May-14, 12:36:06 PM »

I love team work! Thanks deb!!  2thumbsup

DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21-May-14, 10:35:47 PM »

Banding Day is tomorrow, May 22.  clap
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25-Feb-15, 08:01:35 AM »

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2015/02/peregrine-falcon-shocker/ Another male spotted at Woodmen!!

So was this just a winter foray of discovery?  Will 19/K be back at the Capitol come spring?  Or will we find a new male has taken over at the Capitol?  Will 19/K become the new male at the Woodmen?  Does this mean he displaced his own offspring (Mintaka)?

Seems like changes are a coming all over!!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25-Feb-15, 08:32:45 AM »

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2015/02/peregrine-falcon-shocker/ Another male spotted at Woodmen!!

So was this just a winter foray of discovery?  Will 19/K be back at the Capitol come spring?  Or will we find a new male has taken over at the Capitol?  Will 19/K become the new male at the Woodmen?  Does this mean he displaced his own offspring (Mintaka)?

Seems like changes are a coming all over!!

Lots of changes for sure. 

Peregrines know no borders.....
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15-Mar-15, 07:39:41 PM »

On March 7, 19/K had a territorial battle with his son, Mintaka, in the nest box. 19/K lost. I believe he has returned to Lincoln. I did see a peregrine at the Lincoln nest yesterday; not sure if it was 19/K.

Video of the battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSY68tnPWhk
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15-Mar-15, 09:45:16 PM »

On March 7, 19/K had a territorial battle with his son, Mintaka, in the nest box. 19/K lost. I believe he has returned to Lincoln. I did see a peregrine at the Lincoln nest yesterday; not sure if it was 19/K.

Video of the battle:

Wow..not good! Is Hera still at this site?  I used to watch it but haven't checked it this year. 

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-Mar-15, 10:13:39 PM »

Who was the 3rd Falcon, the female? I could only watch for a few seconds. Don't like to see these fights!! It didn't look too brutal in the beginning! My  heart is pounding way too much!!

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15-Mar-15, 11:20:24 PM »

Video of the battle:

Wow..not good! Is Hera still at this site?  I used to watch it but haven't checked it this year.  

I'm not sure, Kris. The cams were down from September 9 of last year until about ten days ago, so it was not possible to know what was happening. The only views I have had in the last few days have been of someone's lower back and tail feathers. I hope Hera is still there; if she is, it will be her tenth year at the nest.

I wonder if 19/K went looking for a new nest site because of the loss of all his chicks last year. At the Woodmen nest, the chicks survived the same terrible storm. Also, back in 2008, all the chicks were lost at the Lincoln nest. The nest box does not offer enough protection; the site is very exposed and extremely windy. A good solid nest box with sides and a roof, and the bottom part of the front closed in, would be safer and give more protection.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-Mar-15, 11:25:43 PM »

Who was the 3rd Falcon, the female? I could only watch for a few seconds. Don't like to see these fights!! It didn't look too brutal in the beginning! My  heart is pounding way too much!!
I don't know, Donna. I have not yet been able to watch the whole video either -- worst Internet connection on the planet. I hate these territorial battles.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15-Mar-15, 11:27:45 PM »

I hope to never see anything like that in our nest box.   wow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16-Mar-15, 02:03:28 AM »

I don't know, Donna. I have not yet been able to watch the whole video either -- worst Internet connection on the planet. I hate these territorial battles.

I have now watched the whole video. I see what you mean about the third bird, Donna. I am pretty sure that it is Hera. I think I can just see the silver band on her right leg. Her left leg is unbanded. I also caught a couple of glimpses of a long malar stripe, which is also consistent with this being Hera.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16-Mar-15, 10:26:05 PM »

On BCAW, they're saying Hera is gone and an unbanded female has replaced her.  Lots of missing senior Falcons!   Shocked

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16-Mar-15, 10:52:33 PM »

On BCAW, they're saying Hera is gone and an unbanded female has replaced her.  Lots of missing senior Falcons!   Shocked

Oh not her too!! The "new Kids on the Block" are taking over all the nests!! It was bound to happen! Too many falcons, not enough nests or space!! No more now, OK??   Sad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: