THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 02:31:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrisburg, PA Falcons  (Read 91672 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 28-Jan-10, 07:44:44 AM »

Recent News Title
1/27/2010  ::   Adult Male Sightings
Typically this pair of peregrines can be found spending much of their time together this time of year. The female has been seen frequently at the ledge, the male has not been spotted for some time. This male does tend to wander for long periods of time and possibly at great distances. If he is not with this female the first week in February we can speculate that something may have happened to him. In any case, web cam viewers are urged to email via the Contact DEP link to report peregrine sightings at the ledge. The male is one third smaller than the female and has been known to perch on top of one of the camera housings to the left of the orange column on the wide camera view of the ledge.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-Feb-10, 06:43:53 AM »

Recent News Title
2/4/2010  ::   Male Peregrine- Still No Sighting
This female has been in this situation before. The original male was injured six years ago and could not be returned to the wild. She spent a lot of time away from her usual perches and spent more time at places where he had habitually perched. Then, she was gone from the area for longer periods of time. A little more than six weeks after the original male was injured she pair bonded with the current male. We know that there are many ranging individual peregrines out there looking for nesting territories. These wandering peregrines will opportunistically displace breeding adults.

2/4/2010  ::   Male Peregrine Returns!
At 1:25 PM today, February 4, 2010 the Rachel Carson male peregrine was spotted on the southeast corner of the ledge. This ends his long absence from the ledge and renews expectations for another successful nesting season.

clap thumbsup I'm glad he's back.  This makes me wonder more about Kaver. Is he out there, is he alive, did he try and come back last year, did A & B chase him out? Unless he tries to come back this year, I'm afraid we'll never know. It's not getting any easier missing Kaver, it's getting worse. Now my concerns are on Mariah, what the heck will happen this season?

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-Feb-10, 07:55:02 AM »

I'm glad he's back.  This makes me wonder more about Kaver. Is he out there, is he alive, did he try and come back last year, did A & B chase him out? Unless he tries to come back this year, I'm afraid we'll never know. It's not getting any easier missing Kaver, it's getting worse. Now my concerns are on Mariah, what the heck will happen this season?

I am sorry to say I think something happened to him.  Sad Remember right after he disappeared at the end of 2008, Mariah was hanging out in all the places Kaver usually did where she didn't usually go. Also they did no pair bonding (that we could see) before he vanished. I think she was looking for him. I really don't think he would have left her for another female. He didn't come back because he couldn't. I wish I was wrong but that is the way I feel. I miss him. He was the best.

Now I am conflicted. I want Mariah to come back but I am also afraid she will (and get hurt again). is there a smilie biting his nails all worried?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-Feb-10, 08:47:05 AM »

I'm glad he's back.  This makes me wonder more about Kaver. Is he out there, is he alive, did he try and come back last year, did A & B chase him out? Unless he tries to come back this year, I'm afraid we'll never know. It's not getting any easier missing Kaver, it's getting worse. Now my concerns are on Mariah, what the heck will happen this season?

I am sorry to say I think something happened to him.  Sad Remember right after he disappeared at the end of 2008, Mariah was hanging out in all the places Kaver usually did where she didn't usually go. Also they did no pair bonding (that we could see) before he vanished. I think she was looking for him. I really don't think he would have left her for another female. He didn't come back because he couldn't. I wish I was wrong but that is the way I feel. I miss him. He was the best.

Now I am conflicted. I want Mariah to come back but I am also afraid she will (and get hurt again). is there a smilie biting his nails all worried?

I really feel the same about Kaver, (just in denial) over it. It's heartbreaking, he was such a LOVE.
As far as Mariah goes....I shudder to think.   

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-Feb-10, 07:52:58 PM »

I really feel the same about Kaver, (just in denial) over it. It's heartbreaking, he was such a LOVE.
As far as Mariah goes....I shudder to think.   

I agree, Donna. I really miss Kaver -- he was the very best. I can only hope Mariah will find a new, supportive mate this year, and perhaps be provided with a nest far enough away from Beauty and Archer to be safe.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25-Feb-10, 02:02:41 PM »

http://www.pacast.com/players/falcon.asp    bguitar

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25-Feb-10, 02:06:34 PM »

Falcon there now calling

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-Mar-10, 08:59:06 AM »

http://www.pacast.com/players/falcon.asp any time now

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20-Mar-10, 07:52:35 AM »

The misses is still pushing in Harrisburg

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20-Mar-10, 08:46:32 AM »

1st egg  2thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24-Mar-10, 07:27:13 AM »

3/23/2010  ::   Second Egg!
Early this morning, March 23rd, the female Peregrine Falcon laid the second egg. As the clutch grows, the adults will begin brooding for longer periods of time. This progressive brooding behavior allows the eggs to hatch at close intervals. The male and female will share brooding duties; the male will sit 30 to 40 percent of the entire time it takes to hatch the full clutch

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-Mar-10, 12:26:08 PM »

The Harrisburg female just laid her fifth egg.

Gawoman
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-Apr-10, 04:38:23 PM »

I was watching for a few minutes this morning and saw an interesting scene played out.  One of the falcons got on the eggs, but left one out from underneath him (or her).  All of a sudden off camera, you hear the other falcon 'speaking' to the other and the one on the nest replies, gets up, changes direction, sits down again but this time incorporating all of the eggs.  Then all was silent again.

After seeing this, I was thinking that it was mama scolding the dad for not having all the eggs underneath, she b****ed at him, he said 'nag, nag, nag' and then fixed the problem.   2funny
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 16-Apr-10, 10:33:48 AM »

It's kind of difficult to get all those eggs underneath properly!

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29-Apr-10, 02:57:11 PM »

The first eyas has hatched.  wub2

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: