THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:39:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seneca Towers Falcons  (Read 104363 times)
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 21-Aug-14, 02:59:50 PM »

I can see some immature feathers on this bird in MAK's photos or I'm imagining it? but I do see brown so she could indeed be Billie. 

C&C have a good explanation of molting on their FB page with photos. 

As per C&C: First molts for peregrines are incomplete, meaning that they don't have every feathers replaced by the adult gray (which is why you can often see some remaining brown feathers on a young adult peregrine that has only gone through one molt).

I noticed that too, Carly, especially around some of the tips.  

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 21-Aug-14, 06:22:17 PM »

I finally took some time to go through my pics of the falcon on Seneca Towers Apartment Building south end Wednesday afternoon 8/20.  I am confident the female is 77/AX "Billy". (Note - spelling is as reported in memory of Central Terminal female employee.)

I definitely have 77 in the black over green. If you look through the 4 upside down photos, you can see an X under the right 7. In one pic it almost looks like 2 Xs, but an AX can look that way. Remember, Billy was scratching and I was rapid shooting, hoping to get something with all that movement.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 21-Aug-14, 06:40:38 PM »

Yep, looks like 77 to me too, Joyce.  Also, in Dana's band pictures taken last October, the letter "A" wearing off of the band.  I'm not surprised it's not legible now.  Welcome back, Billy!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 21-Aug-14, 06:47:42 PM »

I don't see how it could be anybody else. Question-how is her name spelled officially? Billy is a male spelling and Billie is the female spelling. Anybody know?  confused

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 21-Aug-14, 07:15:38 PM »

Looks like 77/AX to me...particularly 6065. And the malar stripe looks like the one composite I had saved to the family tree (attached)

And I've always had her name spelled Billy on the tree. I record the names as they're published at banding. Same with Gurdy last year at the Sheraton. Someone later said it might actually be Gertie, but I go with what's published.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 21-Aug-14, 07:21:00 PM »

Not sure how "official" this is, but here's the entry on the Forum from Sage, announcing the 2013 Central Terminal Banding.  I know she spelled Saoirse and Zbigniew correctly, so I'll bet Billy is right, too. Smiley

« Reply #212 on: 13-Jun-13, 03:22:30 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
THE LIST YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!! Straight from the DEC!

UB:
Bailey - F - yellow(missing) -> silver
MacKay - F - red
Winspear - M - blue

Statler:
The guys at Statler chose traditional Polish and Irish names.
Zbigniew - M - white (ZBIG-nev. Joe's Polish name. It is a common male name. Nickname is often "Ziggy", so we can call him that.)
Antrim - M - blue (The county in Ireland where Conner is from.)
Saoirse - F - green (SEER-sha. Gaelic for "Freedom".)
Celestyna - F - red (Sel-es-TEEN-a. Polish name meaning "Heavenly".)

CT:
Virginia - F - yellow
Billy - F - red
Edward - M - green

North Bridge:
George - M - no tape silver
« Last Edit: 19-Jun-13, 12:29:36 AM by Joyce »   Report to moderator     Logged

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 21-Aug-14, 08:48:02 PM »

I don't see how it could be anybody else. Question-how is her name spelled officially? Billy is a male spelling and Billie is the female spelling. Anybody know?  confused

The reason I commented is because I spoke to someone at CT who clarified the names for me. All were people who had worked at the Terminal.  I asked if Billy was a male or female employee because of the spelling. I was told it was a female employee.  I was also told that Edward was not shortened because that's how the man was referred to.

Today it is more common to use an i or ie instead of a y, but back then names such as Patty, Jenny, Betty, Billy, Vicky, Cathy, etc. were standard.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 22-Aug-14, 05:59:12 AM »

The reason I commented is because I spoke to someone at CT who clarified the names for me. All were people who had worked at the Terminal.  I asked if Billy was a male or female employee because of the spelling. I was told it was a female employee.  I was also told that Edward was not shortened because that's how the man was referred to.

Today it is more common to use an i or ie instead of a y, but back then names such as Patty, Jenny, Betty, Billy, Vicky, Cathy, etc. were standard.

We have a Bobbie!!  wave

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 22-Aug-14, 06:44:06 AM »

Unless their mother is named Lisa. Then they would be Pattey, Jenney, Bettey, Billey, Vickey, Cathey, etcey.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 22-Aug-14, 07:16:50 AM »

Billy or Billie or Billey.  However her name is spelled, I'm just happy that she's being seen again.  So happy that a Mariah and Kaver grandkid is doing so well.  Could M&K great grandkids be in our future here in Rochester?  You know that we'll be watching.  clap thumbsup 2thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 22-Aug-14, 07:39:36 AM »

We have a Bobbie!!  wave

And we do!!
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 22-Aug-14, 08:22:02 AM »

This is off topic (Seneca Towers falcons, that is) I know, but I'm wondering if possibly the BS falcon could be Billy's sister Virginia, and her yellow tape has fallen off.  Billy's red tape fell off, so who knows?  There was a juvie female, black over green on left/yellow tape on right, falcon seen at BS right after Pigott left this past spring.  She was never ID'd, but those were Virginia's band colors. Maybe Virginia has followed Billy to this area.  Hopefully we'll see the new female at BS again and someone will be able to ID her.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 22-Aug-14, 08:24:43 AM »

This is off topic (Seneca Towers falcons, that is) I know, but I'm wondering if possibly the BS falcon could be Billy's sister Virginia, and her yellow tape has fallen off.  Billy's red tape fell off, so who knows?  There was a juvie female, black over green on left/yellow tape on right, falcon seen at BS right after Pigott left this past spring.  She was never ID'd, but those were Virginia's band colors. Maybe Virginia has followed Billy to this area.  Hopefully we'll see the new female at BS again and someone will be able to ID her.

Too many females, let's not confuse DC!!   confused   Cheesy

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 22-Aug-14, 08:34:38 AM »

You never know Pat.  This is the season for migrants to start flowing through the area, including all the youngsters that hatched this year.  I think the watchers will be very busy this fall/winter!   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 25-Aug-14, 10:53:15 AM »

Check it out!! MAK'S super pic and confirmed that this is Billy from CT!! Awesome job MAK, she is gorgeous!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: