THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 02:02:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest (2008) and Skye - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 316101 times)
pawsnclaws17
Eyas

Like Count: 8

Adopt pets

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: 02-Jun-15, 07:21:16 AM »

Marion Nash reports on the CPF website that fledge watch will start next week for Quest's boys.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 02-Jun-15, 03:55:00 PM »

Everyone back in watching someone fly by

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
pawsnclaws17
Eyas

Adopt pets

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 07-Jun-15, 02:20:10 PM »

The boys are on the roof hiding from the parent in the box.  "Bet they'll never look up here!"
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 08-Jun-15, 02:10:48 PM »

I've only seen 2 at the nest ledge today. Either someone fledged or they walked over to one of the side ledges.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 08-Jun-15, 03:22:41 PM »

Kline fell to the ledge below the nest box. Ann Brokelman is on watch, keeping an eye on the situation.  phew

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 08-Jun-15, 03:37:25 PM »

Kline fell to the ledge below the nest box. Ann Brokelman is on watch, keeping an eye on the situation.  phew

One level down is OK...  phew is right

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 08-Jun-15, 09:36:21 PM »

One level down is OK...  phew is right

Thank God it's not a long way down.  Still!  Sad

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 09-Jun-15, 03:46:36 PM »

scared blue nobody on the nest ledge!

I saw 2 earlier & 1 just a few minutes ago.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 10-Jun-15, 07:29:01 AM »

!!! Harper the “Teflon Falcon” takes flight!
June 09, 2015 - Toronto - Don Mills
Marion Nash Reports:

June 9th 2015
Arrived this morning to find Bob on site already and he had all three chicks in site. Kline was on the same level as yesterday but had ledge walked to the farthest east end on the building and his brothers were still on the nest ledge. Not long after Berkley having seen him get fed twice that morning with no leftovers for him or Harper decided to ledge walk himself and slowly made his way east along the ledge
to sit directly above Kline.

From pretty much the time I arrived little Harper wined and yelled at his parents demanding his due share of food but got none Quest has started weening.

Everyone else stayed put until just after 4:00 when Harper decided to take off for his first flight and wouldn’t you know it we were watching the other 2 and mom who just took off on a hunt so we missed him leave.

He flew in a circle from west around the Harlequin building we know this because he did not fly in front of us. He must have then hooked to the east across the back of the building and tried t to make one more turn to head back home because he ended up on the east side of the building on a lower window ledge just above the shipping doors. Again we had not seen him leave but noticed he was gone just about a minute later. We logged onto the web camera on our cell phones and saw no one home Yikes!! Where did he get to. Bob headed across the street to have a look on the west side of the nest building thinking he too was ledge walking, went the other way and around the corner. Just as Bob got to the other side of the street the grounds keeping contractors came up to us to say they just saw one of the Falcons bump into the building concrete walls and land on a window ledge on the east side of the Harlequin building. He must have tried to make one more turn and just ran out of altitude and gas. The contractor said he just bumped into the wall and slid down to land on that ledge.

With so many watching out the window or on the web cam people started texting me within minutes. Where is Harper? He is not on the ledge is he ok? I told everyone where he was and that he was ok but only about 15 feet from the ground and his next flight may bring him to the ground so I am on it. Well by 5:00 PM I had 2 move volunteers, 5:30 2 more and by 6:00 3 more Thank you all so much!!!

Bob and I stayed watching him while other volunteers went out front to keep an eye on the other 2 boys.

Our fear was that he would end up spending the night there and perhaps take another flight before we could get there in the morning so plans for a rescue from his new position started. The security guard warned me that the garbage truck would be arriving at 8:00 PM pulling in to load up from the shipping doors just below him . We thought this may scare him off and if he comes down we could then grab him up for the rescue. Well the truck came and went no luck he just sat and watched it just about 5 feet below him.

There were some plumbing contractors taking a break at this time and joined us to have a look at the bird so we asked them for a hand. We told them there was a ladder we could use in the shipping area but it was not tall enough to reach the bird but if he could use his measuring tape extended out he could perhaps coax him off the ledge to fly again and either gain more height of come to ground in the back parking that was now empty and quiet so we could rescue him.

Well that worked great he flew across the back parking all the way to a multi level parking garage about 1000 yards gaining about 2 floors of height. Unfortunately he went right into the 3 floor parking area so off we went to try again to catch him up. Kathy and Bob were well ahead of me and I decided to remain in the back parking at ground level in case he flew out before they got to him so I could see were he went. Kathy did get to him but he is obviously made of Teflon. She walked right up to him and had her rescue towel ready but he gave her the slip and flew out and headed back to the Harlequin building landing on an even lower window ledge then he was on in the first place grrrrrr!

So it was back to get the ladder and bring it around to his new ledge. I called Mark Nash and asked him to bring me a net I was not going to miss this time!

Mark arrived and seeing that I was a little tuckered out took the net and made the attempt, did I say attempt Wink Gallant try but the slippery one escaped again and flew long and strong all the way to Bayview Glen School landing on the 3rd floor.

Safe now we watched him for another half hour until it got dark and left him sleeping for the night.

Both of his brothers still on the nest building all fine and safe.

Stay tuned for chapter 3 tomorrow.

More pictures to come.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2015/06/sightings/harper-the-teflon-falcon-takes-flight/

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 10-Jun-15, 07:38:30 AM »

Harper takes after his mom, Quest.  We attempted to rescue her when she came to the ground in a Kodak Parking Lot close to where traffic was going through.  We feared she would be hit by a car.  Needless to say, we got very close to getting her, when she gave us the slip!  She got herself to a low roof and eventually higher and higher.  It was all good.  Seems he takes after his momma!   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 10-Jun-15, 10:52:52 AM »

With 3 boys at this site the watchers are going to have their hands full! Good luck everyone!!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
pawsnclaws17
Eyas

Adopt pets

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 11-Jun-15, 07:58:57 AM »

I just read yesterday's fledge watch report for the boys.  It sounds like they are trying to run the watchers ragged.  Two of them rescued and released last night.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 11-Jun-15, 09:23:47 AM »

Photos By Rob Kline
June 11, 2015 - Toronto - Don Mills
Marion Nash Reports:

some beautiful pictures taken at the fledge watch by Rob over the last 2 days. Thanks for sharing Rob!
Posted on June 11, 2015 8:57 am
Observation for Toronto - Don Mills

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2015/06/sightings/photos-by-rob-kline/

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 11-Jun-15, 09:36:56 AM »

Gorgeous shots!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: 12-Jun-15, 06:18:50 AM »

All 3 boay flying well
June 11, 2015 - Toronto - Don Mills
Marion Nash Reports:

All 3 chicks were on the top of the nest building this morning so Harper must have flown back very early in the morning. it was not long after I arrived that Quest flew in and gave Kline and Berkley a small snack. shortly after his small tidbit Kline took his second flight and this time he flew great out and around the Harlequin Building to land high up on roof of the building just east of Harlequin safe and sound. Parker on the other hand stayed in the same spot all day long. Harper the show off flew back and forth from the nest building to Harlequin then over to 240 and back to the nest building.

At 6:45 Quest went on a hunt just above our heads so Bob, Sally and I watched her drive a pigeon into the window then chase it to the west side of Harlequin. A second later she flew to the roof top with it in her mitts and fed Berkley.

I assumed that since it was now 7:00 PM and had some food he would likely stay put but no he copied Kline’s flight and landed right beside his brother on the same level of the building east of Harlequin.

Ok I said I guess we can head home now everyone is up high been fed and are safe so we could make a early night of it. I say Nay Nay Berkley landed on a pyramid shaped window on the same building slipped of and fluttered down to the ground.

We went over to scoop him up but this time he knew exactly what we were up to and had no intention of being kidnaped by aliens again. He flew low over Duncan Mill Rd yikes and east of 240 hooking east then back the way he came back across Duncan Mill Rd. when we lost sight of him. In the mean time Kline had flown to the roof top at 240. Bob walked in the direction he was headed and found him on the top of the parking garage behind Harlequin on a high retaining wall that runs along the east side safe and sound. So he now know how to get altitude from ground good for him.

When we left Harper was on the window ledge on the east side of the nest building, Kline on the roof top of 240 and Berkley on the parking garage watched over by mom on the building east of Harlequin.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: