THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banding & Naming Questions  (Read 25049 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06-Jun-14, 07:59:14 AM »

Sad Please, could everyone back off just a bit and drop this discussion before someone's feelings are irreparably hurt? The quiet non-public banding is how it's going to be, no matter what anyone posts on the forum. This entire topic is becoming more and more unpleasant each day, and that saddens me.

Dot in PA

I agree, it could get heated and go on forever but this needed to be discussed. We have lots of new members who I'm sure are just as curious as the rest as to the banding protocol. Now we all know it's just not the right venue for public viewing. We were just spoiled with the MK bandings! It's all good! I think Shaky answered every question imaginable!  handshake

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 06-Jun-14, 08:09:44 AM »

I think Shaky answered every question imaginable!  handshake

All except "What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-Jun-14, 08:25:47 AM »

Well????  surprise

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 06-Jun-14, 08:35:10 AM »

Every web cam site bands differently.  I think more often than not, it is just a very small group or only the bander.  In the case of upstate NY, isn't your DEC person relatively new?  I'm still waiting for Ben's GoPro video of the Jersey City banding.  But I also know there is a lot of banding going on right now and usually only one person may be doing it for a whole state.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-Jun-14, 09:24:35 AM »

Sad Please, could everyone back off just a bit and drop this discussion before someone's feelings are irreparably hurt? The quiet non-public banding is how it's going to be, no matter what anyone posts on the forum. This entire topic is becoming more and more unpleasant each day, and that saddens me.

Dot in PA

No worries Dot-my feelings haven't been hurt and I'm sure it's all good with everyone else that has been involved with this discussion. It's all for our beloved falcons!  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
schlaf374
Juvie

Like Count: 58

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06-Jun-14, 10:29:48 AM »

Thanks Shaky for your taking the time to answer these questions.
When the topic comes up again in the future, you can just refer them to this one.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: 06-Jun-14, 11:59:33 AM »

Thanks Shaky for your taking the time to answer these questions.
When the topic comes up again in the future, you can just refer them to this one.

You're welcome.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06-Jun-14, 09:26:07 PM »

with or without a falcon on its tail?
glothom
Fledgling

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07-Jun-14, 10:51:29 PM »

African swallow or European swallow?

glo...
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 08-Jun-14, 08:56:54 AM »

Huh? I... I don't know that.

[Shaky is thrown over the edge into the Genesee gorge]

Auuuuuuuugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4
glothom
Fledgling

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08-Jun-14, 09:06:53 AM »

Huh? I... I don't know that.

[Shaky is thrown over the edge into the Genesee gorge]

Auuuuuuuugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4
2thumbsup

glo...
Caitie
Fledgling

Like Count: 19

Iamnotaddicted

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11-Jun-14, 08:08:12 PM »

Why not hold the banding outside at a local park only a short distance from the Times Square Building. Then most of the issues go away .  I know you all are on some kind of time clock to get them out banded and back but is that really necessary since they are older and hardy compared to the 10 day old eyas being transported for fostering into nest boxes across states and who bounce back very well.. I'm sure a short transport wouldn't harm or stress the little ones any further if they were kept hydrated. Not across the county but just blocks away to a staging area. I can picture Watchers in their matching tees with placards holding back the masses. Was the last public banding the first time Beauty had offspring after our Kaver and Mariah disappeared? Maybe that stirred up more of a frenzied interest. Are their public bandings in Canada or out west held anywhere else off site from the nesting area?
Then again there's always the exception Tesh   surprise Never seen an eyas down on their back for a half hour .. That's really one for the record books lol
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11-Jun-14, 09:39:18 PM »

Why not hold the banding outside at a local park only a short distance from the Times Square Building. Then most of the issues go away .  I know you all are on some kind of time clock to get them out banded and back but is that really necessary since they are older and hardy compared to the 10 day old eyas being transported for fostering into nest boxes across states and who bounce back very well.. I'm sure a short transport wouldn't harm or stress the little ones any further if they were kept hydrated. Not across the county but just blocks away to a staging area. I can picture Watchers in their matching tees with placards holding back the masses. Was the last public banding the first time Beauty had offspring after our Kaver and Mariah disappeared? Maybe that stirred up more of a frenzied interest. Are their public bandings in Canada or out west held anywhere else off site from the nesting area?
Then again there's always the exception Tesh   surprise Never seen an eyas down on their back for a half hour .. That's really one for the record books lol

in my opinion I'd rather watch it on camera than take any chance of something happening to an eyas, this sounds like a bad idea to me.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: 11-Jun-14, 10:01:38 PM »

Liability concerns. Logistics concerns. Security concerns. Jurisdiction concerns. Just to name a few.
Caitie
Fledgling

Like Count: 19

Iamnotaddicted

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12-Jun-14, 12:49:11 AM »

Just an idea   thumbsup I would never want to put any eyas in danger  Cry. Thats why I wondered if it were done safely at other sites to see how difficult it is to put together. You have such lovely little parks in Rochester and dedicated watchers its sad to hear they dont get to see any bandings anymore since Kodak. I remember the school children that used to love to name an eyas and I could just imagine their little faces when they saw them up close after watching them for weeks on the cams. I bet many of those children grew up with a love of nature because of those times and events
From here in NJ I thank you all for what you do putting together the videos so I can share in the day each year. Enjoying the new and reminiscing about the ole  falcon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: