THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:18:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcoa Anglesea, Australia  (Read 91228 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: 28-Dec-12, 11:45:11 AM »

Alcoa Anglesea Peregrine Falcon Webcam 2012

Friday 2 November, 2012
We have been monitoring the falcon’s nest every few days and after a 33 day incubation period we expected the three eggs to have hatched by now.  Therefore, unfortunately all indications are that Ava and Havoc’s nest attempt has failed this year.   Sad

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 28-Oct-14, 08:19:24 AM »

GREAT news!

Monday 27 October, 2014
Welcome back! We are pleased to report that the 2014 Peregrine falcon breeding season at Alcoa Anglesea is well underway.

Ava has once again elected to return to the coal bunker ledge, her preferred nesting location since 2010. We have been keeping an eye on the bunker ledge however Ava had managed to position herself out of view.  That is until now ....

Finally today we find Ava feeding two bundles of white fluff tucked in against the vertical u-beam. Yey! Fingers crossed for these two little guys.

http://www.alcoa.com/australia/en/images/falcon_gallery/2014_10_27_coal_bunker_nest_001_large.jpg

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 28-Oct-14, 08:27:31 AM »

Yay!  Two more Aussie falcons!  Thanks for posting, Annette.   clap clap

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 28-Oct-14, 09:22:29 AM »

This is great, miss them little ones!! Thanks!!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 28-Oct-14, 10:43:53 AM »

2thumbsup hatch1 hatch1

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 03-Dec-14, 06:43:19 AM »

Monday 24 November, 2014
At this age the solid white coat of down the chicks have been sporting since hatching has clearly been replaced with juvenile plumage.  They are growing up so fast! 

Tuesday 11 November, 2014
Here at Alcoa Anglesea our Peregrine falcons have assumed human identities with official names bestowed upon them all. Our adult female ‘Ava’ is a derivative of avis of latin origin meaning 'bird'. Our new adult male has been named ‘Pozières’.

Today is Remembrance Day and this year is the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I.  The choice for this name is in honour of a battle in which the Australian Imperial Force played a role. Please note that we chose a name that we thought was suitable as a male name NOT because this battle was seen as more important than others.

Pozières – for the Battle of Pozières - 23 July – 7 August 2016
The Battle of Pozières was a two-week struggle for the French village of Pozières and the ridge on which it stands, during the middle stages of the 1916 Battle of the Somme. Though British divisions were involved in most phases of the fighting, Pozières is primarily remembered as an Australian battle. The fighting ended with the Allied forces in possession of the plateau north and east of the village, in a position to menace the German bastion of Thiepval from the rear. The cost had been enormous for both sides and in the words of Australian official historian Charles Bean, the Pozières ridge "is more densely sown with Australian sacrifice than any other place on earth."  The Australian flag flies over Pozières in recognition of the sacrifice of the ANZACs in the Battle of Pozières.

Monday 10 November, 2014
Our two chicks are growing up fast and beginning to move around the bunker ledge. More often than not, they are no longer visible from the peep hole on the 6th floor above. However, today these cuties were clearly visible as they peeked over the bunker edge from the 4th floor below!

Monday 03 November, 2014
Today it was confirmed that we have a new male Peregrine Falcon at Alcoa Anglesea.

Our last confirmed sighting of Havoc was in 2012.  In 2013 the male was elusive and we were unable to confirm his identity.  This ‘elusive’ behaviour raised the suspicion that we had a new young male at our site.  Havoc will be missed from his roosting spot on the water tower and 7th floor beam where he would spend his days watching over Sheila, and most recently Ava.  Havoc was born and banded at Point Addis in 2003.

Awe, Havoc

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 10-Dec-14, 06:25:13 AM »

Monday 01 December, 2014
One of our chicks has taken flight whilst the second sits tentatively on the edge of the bunker.  Fledging, leaving the nest, is a part of the life cycle of the juvenile Peregrine falcon and usually occurs around day 40 which is spot on for when our bundles of white fluff were sighted.  While they are in the early stages of learning to fly, employees around the power station keep a special eye out for the juveniles that may come to ground or rest on structures around the station as they recover for the next burst of flight.  2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 10-Dec-14, 06:58:06 AM »

clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 10-Dec-14, 07:00:43 AM »

Yay!   2thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 07-Oct-15, 10:55:44 AM »

I was searching for my link to the Orange NSW Falconcam Project and ran across the Alcoa link. Sad to say this is the message posted in August:

Alcoa Anglesea Peregrine Falcon Webcam-2015 Archive

Monday August 31, 2015
Alcoa of Australia permanently closed the Anglesea coal mine and power station on August 31, 2015.

We hope you have enjoyed the images and news of our Peregrine falcon pair at Alcoa Anglesea as much as we have enjoyed bringing them to you.  If you have any enquiries regarding the falcons at Anglesea, please contact us.

Hopefully the falcons will continue to be successful. I will miss news from this site where we first met the pink nestbox modeled after M&Ks box.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 07-Oct-15, 11:00:50 AM »

Well, that's a bummer!   thumbsdown

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 07-Oct-15, 12:55:38 PM »

That's sad news..bummer. 

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: