THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 11:45:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding Birds during the Winter  (Read 7379 times)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« on: 08-Jan-15, 10:51:28 AM »

Good or bad? What some studies suggest...

http://blog.nature.org/science/2015/01/05/winter-bird-feeding-good-or-bad-for-birds
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08-Jan-15, 12:27:53 PM »

Ahhh, just feed em, help our lil Dees and Junkies to survive!!! The problem I have with feeding is that darn Coop!! Smiley

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-Jan-15, 01:03:48 PM »

I feed them too!   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-Jan-15, 01:12:49 PM »

Interesting findings-we've always been told that feeding birds was just a supplement and only made up a small percentage of what they eat. Looks like it's a bigger percentage than we thought and it's NOT a good thing.  Roll Eyes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08-Jan-15, 02:03:50 PM »

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2008/01/04/coping-with-cold-food/ Kate's blog!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08-Jan-15, 02:09:16 PM »

I try to not feed them all the time even in the winter. I let it run out every few days and they go find natural food. It sometimes takes a day for them to get the word out that I refilled the feeders. And I really only feed sunflower seeds. I'll get a bag of peanuts if they're on sale, but not very often.

They seem to do well and I haven't noticed any real change in the number of birds.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-Jan-15, 04:19:28 PM »

I feed the birds too!  But I don't know who gets more birds or squirrels !!

Lynne in New Hampshire
Penelope99
Juvie

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-Jan-15, 05:06:07 PM »

I feed them too with black sunflowers seeds and I'm sure this morning with -37 C they were happy to keep their energy to survive and not search food.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-Jan-15, 05:49:35 PM »

I feed them too with black sunflowers seeds and I'm sure this morning with -37 C they were happy to keep their energy to survive and not search food.

True-when it's this brutal out I make sure to keep it full. They got the last of the peanuts yesterday.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-Jan-15, 06:42:14 PM »

I try to not feed them all the time even in the winter. I let it run out every few days and they go find natural food. It sometimes takes a day for them to get the word out that I refilled the feeders. And I really only feed sunflower seeds. I'll get a bag of peanuts if they're on sale, but not very often.

They seem to do well and I haven't noticed any real change in the number of birds.

Oh heck, I go through over 10 lbs of peanuts a week! Sometimes more. They hide most and come right back for more, the Blue Jays, Squirrels and now the BIG black Crows are out there every morning......waiting! I won't get into sunflower seeds!! Yikes!

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-Jan-15, 09:23:32 PM »

Ahhh, just feed em, help our lil Dees and Junkies to survive!!! The problem I have with feeding is that darn Coop!! Smiley
Donna I consider the hawks as still feeding the birds just on another level. But I do have a big old fashioned rose bush not three feet from the feeder for the little ones to dive into, seems to work the hawk doesn't stay long.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08-Jan-15, 10:57:26 PM »

Donna I consider the hawks as still feeding the birds just on another level. But I do have a big old fashioned rose bush not three feet from the feeder for the little ones to dive into, seems to work the hawk doesn't stay long.
We have a privet hedge right near the feeder that the little birds dive into to hide from our Coop, although Coop will fly through it to try and flush the birds out.
« Last Edit: 16-Jan-15, 06:23:09 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-Jan-15, 06:15:56 AM »

We have lots of bushes for them to escape to and sometimes the Coop goes over and flushes them out. I only saw him with one Sparrow, so far. Yes, Coops must eat too but not in my yard.

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-Jan-15, 05:15:40 PM »

We feed them too, but after that Coop chased my CAT, we have been filling them less often and haven't seen that bad boy since!  I can't say all the years I have been feeding birds and living here, I have ever spotted a hawk before-what with houses pretty close together & small yards! But I guess there is first for everything!

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16-Jan-15, 05:51:05 PM »

Another good article from Kate St. John

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2015/01/16/make-the-best-suet/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: