THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 02:43:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Utica Falcon Cam 2015  (Read 30190 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 04-Apr-15, 09:29:59 AM »

2 eggs so far for Ares and Astrid!   2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04-Apr-15, 03:03:23 PM »

star star

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-May-15, 07:31:00 AM »

1st hatch!!   2thumbsup

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-May-15, 07:51:43 AM »

YAY!!!!   clap

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-May-15, 12:15:18 PM »

Another hatch makes two for Utica!!  thumbsup thumbsup

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-May-15, 12:48:34 PM »

And a third hatch overnight for Astrid and Ares!!!   clap clap clap

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-May-15, 06:18:22 PM »

Wonderful news! 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.”
~~Edwin Markham
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-May-15, 07:04:13 PM »

Here's are two angles of a precious moment when one of the Utica eyasses tucked in the non-viable egg, just like Mommy and Daddy used to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4X838PCa6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK9Ivb6STvg

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-May-15, 09:06:32 PM »

Here's are two angles of a precious moment when one of the Utica eyasses tucked in the non-viable egg, just like Mommy and Daddy used to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4X838PCa6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK9Ivb6STvg

Sweet!  Looks like a big pooh on the camera.   laugh

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29-Jun-15, 12:26:59 PM »

Our last falcon Orion fledged just before 6 am this morning.
However, we are all very saddened to learn that she apparently impacted the State Office building and was killed at around 9:30 this morning. Her body was recovered and is currently with the DEC. We are awaiting final comfirmation of her band number.
We are all very saddened by this loss but are trying to remain focused on the positive side and enjoy the two young fledglings who are doing very well.
Thank you to everyone for all their continued support of these amazing birds.
FLY HIGH ORION!!!

Fly Free Orion!    crying

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29-Jun-15, 12:34:24 PM »

Our last falcon Orion fledged just before 6 am this morning.
However, we are all very saddened to learn that she apparently impacted the State Office building and was killed at around 9:30 this morning. Her body was recovered and is currently with the DEC. We are awaiting final comfirmation of her band number.
We are all very saddened by this loss but are trying to remain focused on the positive side and enjoy the two young fledglings who are doing very well.
Thank you to everyone for all their continued support of these amazing birds.
FLY HIGH ORION!!!

Fly Free Orion!    crying
Oh dear Lord, this has been a rough year!  Thanks for posting, Donna.   Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29-Jun-15, 01:28:58 PM »

Poor Orion.  She had been away from the nest at a rehab site for a week (I couldn't find the reason why..I thought it was because she had fledged and grounded) and I read on Saturday that she had been placed back in the box.  Sadly, her mother Astrid, never accepted her after her return.

Posted on Utica's website:

Orion Returns to a Mixed Welcome
June 28, 2015 by Matt Perry Leave a Comment

After being absent from the Downtown breeding site for just over a week, Saturday morning, Orion, the youngest of this season’s brood, was brought back and released at the nestbox. Things didn’t go smoothly. Putting Orion in through the back of the nestbox worked like a charm, but Astrid, who was already quite perturbed for some unknown reason, went ballistic. She dove at the box again and again, which served to get the entire family (minus Orion) agitated and flying in tight circles around the bank building. So it was a swooping swarm of frenzied raptors that greeting Orion’s return. Astrid’s alarm chatter was nearly incessant and it put everyone’s nerves on edge – birds and falcon watchers alike. Orion spent her first hour home backed up into the box and ducking each time Astrid swooped close. By an hour later the parents, Comet and Skye, were all back on the State Office Building and some semblance of peace and quiet returned to the canyon. Later on Ares landed on the nest box and got a close look at his daughter. He couldn’t stay long, but he was obviously not looking at her like an intruder. After that, Comet and Skye returned to the box together. This was the first time all 3 siblings had been together since Comet inadvertently fledged about 11 days before. The three birds seemed fine together and spent over an hour loafing on the box’s perches and side verandas. Soon Orion was causal enough to preen and practice flapping. She even started hopping up onto the roof of the nestbox.  Later on in the day after a successful midair food exchange from Ares to Comet, Comet brought the prey over to the nest box and Orion grabbed it. Was that an intended feeding? Unfortunately as the day wore on, Astrid didn’t lighten up at all. She resumed diving at Orion in a manner consistent with an attempt to drive away an intruder. Time will tell if Astrid will change her behavior toward Orion. In the end, the acceptance shown by the other members of the family will mean little if she continues to reject her. If the rejection continues the chances of a mishap will increase and the need to have Fledge Watch volunteers on hand will be greater.

Fly free, Orion  sorrow

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-Jun-15, 01:53:02 PM »

That's too sad-rejected by mom and then dies.  kleenex

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-Jul-15, 07:05:22 AM »

Skye Has Mishap and is Brought to Rehabilitator

Sometime last night in the early evening – probably between 6:00 and 7:00 PM, Skye, the 2nd of this year’s Peregrine chicks to fledge, met with an accident. He was found standing in the parking lot of the State Office Building with his wing drooping. After capture he was brought to a local Wildlife Rehabilitator. A cursory examination revealed nothing obviously wrong with his wing, but he awaits x-rays and a more thorough examination. At this point we are hopeful that he will be able to be released back into the Downtown territory, but only time will tell. Though official Fledge Watch had ended only the day before, there were observers on the scene, but none of them saw the incident that brought Skye down.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-Jul-15, 09:19:32 AM »

Skye Has Mishap and is Brought to Rehabilitator

Sometime last night in the early evening – probably between 6:00 and 7:00 PM, Skye, the 2nd of this year’s Peregrine chicks to fledge, met with an accident. He was found standing in the parking lot of the State Office Building with his wing drooping. After capture he was brought to a local Wildlife Rehabilitator. A cursory examination revealed nothing obviously wrong with his wing, but he awaits x-rays and a more thorough examination. At this point we are hopeful that he will be able to be released back into the Downtown territory, but only time will tell. Though official Fledge Watch had ended only the day before, there were observers on the scene, but none of them saw the incident that brought Skye down.

Fledgling problems all over this year.   Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: