THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 05:20:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Utica Falcon Cam 2015  (Read 30226 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08-Jul-15, 04:01:47 PM »

An update on Skye from the site:

Skye to be Flight Tested

July 7, 2015

Skye is doing well at the rehabilitator. Jean expects to flight test him today! If all goes well, we will try to reunite him with his family this week. We will need volunteers to be on hand for the release and for a few days after the release. Please watch the Fledge Watch Page and Facebook for updates…

I hope Skye will make a full recovery. I am so sorry about the loss of Orion.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08-Jul-15, 04:09:35 PM »

A second update on Skye. She has now been transferred to another facility.

Comet Adjusts to Being an Only Child & Skye on the Road to Recovery

July 7, 2015

Life goes on for the Utica Peregrine Falcon family. Comet seems to have adjusted to being an only child. For a few days after Skye’s accident he seemed to become more sedentary – recalling for us what he was like for the five days after he fledged. This time it was just that he was lacking a brother to lure him into flying games. Soon enough though he was back to careening around the canyon and regularly displacing both his father and mother from their perches. With one fledgling certainly easier to provide for than three, Astrid and Ares’ jobs have become a bit easier. There is now typically a surplus of prey in the pantries and often enough the birds have full crops. Meanwhile Skye was transferred from Woodhaven Wildlife Center in Chadwicks to Kindred Kingdoms Wildlife Center in Pennellville. At the latter facility there is a flight cage where Skye’s flying ability can be accessed. With luck he will be able to be released to his family by the end of the week. Fledge Watch Volunteers, please stand by!

What a beauty she is. Photo from the Utica site.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-Jul-15, 05:27:58 PM »

She is gorgeous!! Hoping for the best!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11-Jul-15, 09:11:10 AM »

Skye released from rehab! 

http://www.uticaperegrinefalcons.com/2015/07/11/skye-returns-to-the-canyon/

Hoping for the best here!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12-Jul-15, 12:46:40 AM »

Skye released from rehab! 

http://www.uticaperegrinefalcons.com/2015/07/11/skye-returns-to-the-canyon/

Hoping for the best here!

2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12-Jul-15, 04:35:45 PM »

I hope that everything will go well for Skye, and that Astrid will accept him better than she did at first.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13-Jul-15, 10:03:05 PM »

A new update on Skye:

Skye Takes it Slow & Comet Shines Bright!

July 13, 2015 by Matt Perry

Since his release on Friday evening, Skye has been taking it slow and easy in the Downtown canyon. He does a limited amount of flying and plenty of resting, which is pretty much what the doctor ordered. Sometimes when he flies his wing beats are shallow and he seems to tire quickly. Obviously his wing muscles need some more time to completely recover from the injuries sustained over 10 days ago.  Initially Astrid seemed to be rejecting Skye, but has now largely relaxed her objections to his presence. However, she is still not above diving at him from time to time. Ares has been only marginally protective of Skye, which is in stark contrast to the  degree of protection he afforded Orion when she came back to the fold. It’s really been Comet who has been Skye’s lifeline. Brother Comet has taken on the role of protector – not hesitating to chase Astrid away when she gets too rambunctious. Comet has also been seen bringing food to Skye. On Monday morning, Skye needed to abort a landing on the roof of the State Office Building. Visibly tired, he retreated to the top of the County Building. And then from the other side of the canyon, Comet came in with prey (it’s not clear if it was something he caught himself or found) and brought it to Skye who flapped his wings in anticipation. That is one good brother!

Skye is so lucky to have a brother like Comet. The photos with the update include a great sequence of Comet bringing food and leaving it for Skye. I wish Astrid and Ares would be more accepting of Skye.

http://uticaperegrinefalcons.com/2015/07/13/skye-takes-it-slow-comet-shines-bright/
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13-Jul-15, 10:44:23 PM »

What a great brother!!!  2thumbsup

-John Burroughs
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13-Jul-15, 11:05:29 PM »

Wow- good thing for Comet!  clap

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14-Jul-15, 12:29:57 AM »

What a sweetie Comet is!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14-Jul-15, 12:35:44 AM »

Reminds me of Nurse Nettie and Nor'easter, although Nettie didn't have to bring food.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14-Jul-15, 10:42:38 PM »

Usually one of the fledglings will be very protective of his/her siblings.  For some reason, it's usually a male, but not always.  So happy to hear that Comet has taken that role with his brother.   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16-Jul-15, 01:27:20 PM »

Falcon Watch Utica
Calling all Watchers and Utica area fans!!!
Skye is missing - we need everyone's help to try to find him!
He was last seen heading toward the South side of the State Office Building on Wednesday morning.
If you see a falcon with a green leg band on a building or the ground in the downtown Utica area please contact us.
Falconwatch185@gmail.com
315-717-2042 (Deb)

Oh No!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16-Jul-15, 04:15:41 PM »

I hope mom didn't do something to him!  confused

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17-Jul-15, 01:04:23 PM »

Falcon Watch Utica
Calling all Watchers and Utica area fans!!!
Skye is missing - we need everyone's help to try to find him!
He was last seen heading toward the South side of the State Office Building on Wednesday morning.
If you see a falcon with a green leg band on a building or the ground in the downtown Utica area please contact us.
Falconwatch185@gmail.com
315-717-2042 (Deb)

Oh No!!!

I was very worried about Skye when I read your post. I could only hope for the best.

I was so happy to read on the site today that Skye has been found!

Skye – Lost and Found!!

July 17, 2015 by Matt Perry

Skye was absent from the usual part of the Downtown canyon for about 35 hours beginning Wednesday morning. That morning he’d initially been seen feeding on something on the Courthouse roof. After that he made a direct and somewhat labored flight over to the State Office Building where he put down on a high window ledge. Astrid, who apparently still hasn’t decided if she wants him around, hazed him with some swooping. After some close passes, Skye flew off to the south and out of view. Thankfully, Astrid didn’t persist and go after him. However, following that incident, and despite great effort on the part of our fledge watch volunteers, no one could locate him for a day and a half! Since Skye has not yet fully recovered from the accident that grounded him over 2 weeks ago, he has been depending on his brother and father to bring him food. That makes him very vulnerable, and it’s crucial that he stays in the canyon where he can be seen and tended by his family. He continues to fly, but very sparingly. When he does he usually  follows a very direct course between high building perches. It is believed that the bruising of his wing muscles will heal and his flying should gradually improve. He certainly has been getting a lot of rest!

Meanwhile Comet has been doing his flying stunts by himself or with his parents. On Tuesday night he made an incredible dive straight down from the top of the State Office Building. As he plummeted he twisted and turned and managed to up his mother from her low perch. Since the recovery from the dive took place out of view, the watchers were relieved to see Comet moments later chasing his mother through the canyon.

Photo of Skye from the site.

I hope Skye will continue to recover from his previous injuries and stay safe. Also that Astrid will stop harassing him.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: