THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 07:35:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NY DEC news  (Read 5021 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 03-Feb-16, 05:57:06 PM »

DEC Wildlife staff and volunteers monitored 26 peregrine falcon nesting sites located throughout the Adirondack Mountains and along Lake Champlain and Lake George during the 2015 breeding season. They confirmed 15 nesting peregrine falcons pairs of which nine pairs successfully produced 18 chicks. Peregrine falcons are listed as an endangered species in New York State.

Some highlights of the 2015 breeding season include the discovery of a new nesting location on Crane Mountain, from which two young peregrines fledged. Also, a single nest along Lake George produced four young peregrines (two young is average for the nesting pairs in the Adirondacks), and another new nesting location along Lake George may have been discovered.

The DEC wishes to thank the Adirondack rock climbing community. Each year DEC closes certain Adirondack rock climbing routes during the nesting season to prevent any disturbances that might interfere with the successful raising of the young peregrine falcons. The continued cooperation, patience, and interest of rock climbers has made this monitoring effort a success year after year. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7868.htmlm

A copy of the full 2015 Eastern Adirondack/Lake Champlain Region Peregrine Falcon Nest Monitoring report can obtained by e-mailing a request to R5info.info@dec.ny.gov

For more info on peregrine falcons read our fact sheet: http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7294.html

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04-Feb-16, 08:05:27 AM »

2thumbsup

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-Feb-16, 08:49:18 AM »

Wonderful news! clap Things are certainly looking up - better than when I lived near the Adirondacks. It's so good of the rock climbers to aid the cause by avoiding nest sites as requested.

Dot in PA
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-Feb-16, 10:16:37 AM »

good news

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-Feb-16, 06:54:19 AM »

UPDATE: It appears that the rehabbed eagle that was recently released has reunited with her mate as two eagles have been seen together in the sky near where she was found. While she was being cared for, there was only one eagle seen regularly. Great news as mating season is underway!
ICYMI: Last Saturday, a female bald eagle was successfully released back into the wild after nearly dying from acute zinc poisoning. Here’s the amazing story of her rescue, treatment and release.
On Sunday, January 10, 3-year old Steven Rozzi spotted something big in his backyard and alerted his mom, Cherie Bissinger. It was a bald eagle, unable to fly and tangled in brush at the edge of the woods. Cherie and her husband Steven quickly notified DEC who contacted wildlife rehabilitator Barbara “Missy” Runyan of the Friends of the Feathered and Furry Wildlife Center in Hunter, NY.
DEC ECO Mike Buckley and Missy determined that the eagle was blind. She had cuts on her face, bent feathers and was having seizures. Her liver and kidneys were failing as well. A band on her leg identified her as originally from Delaware County and 13 years old.

Blood tests done later revealed acute zinc poisoning from sources as yet unknown. Missy immediately began chelation therapy and within 72 hours, the eagle had regained her sight!
Missy and her volunteers gently steamed straight the eagle’s bent feathers, saw to her wounds and continued to monitor her progress. She was kept in a special eagle enclosure to keep her stress levels low. Eagles are very sensitive and can die from the stress of capture or even release if not handled very carefully.
Fortunately, Missy has lots of experience with eagles, and knew exactly how to handle and treat this one. The release on Saturday, January 31, from the same backyard where she was found, went perfectly. We’re hoping, as it is eagle breeding season, that she’ll find her mate, who has been seen in the area.
This beautiful eagle lived because everyone involved did exactly the right thing. If you find an injured eagle, call DEC’s ECO dispatch (1-844-332-3267). If necessary, the ECO will contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator who handles eagles. Do not try to help the eagle yourself, as you or the eagle could be injured.

Zinc can be found in many different potential sources, including fertilizers and galvanized metal coatings used in bridges and docks, and can bioaccumlate in fish and other prey. DEC is still investigating how this eagle might have become poisoned by Zinc.

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-Feb-16, 07:56:08 AM »

So glad to hear this news! Lady eagle was very very lucky to find help in time, and it's wonderful that she is apparently back with her mate.

Dot in PA
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-Feb-16, 08:44:00 AM »

Such a good story - from the little boy noticing the plight of the eagle, right thru treatment and release. The zinc connection is interesting (for lack of a better word). SO many things in our environment are detrimental to wildlife! Which is why I am pleased to see that a few Big Box places - Aldi? - will no longer be stocking bee-harming products. Take that, Monsanto! We are on to you!
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-Feb-16, 10:41:47 AM »

Bobbie, we live outside of Allentown PA where all too many mountain tops of the nearby Appalachian Trail are completely denuded because of former zinc mining. The stuff is extremely toxic. Shocked Conservationists have been replanting some of those areas for years with just a small amount of success.

Dot in PA
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-Feb-16, 03:07:08 PM »

I especially like the ending of this story!  2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-Feb-16, 06:39:08 PM »

Very good news!

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-Jun-17, 09:21:22 AM »

Congrats to the City of Rochester which was designated as the 11th Certified Climate Smart Community and the 50th Clean Energy Community in New York State.  thumbsup

http://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-recognizes-rochester-model-city-actions-reduce-greenhouse-gas-emissions-and

Governor Cuomo Recognizes Rochester as Model City for Actions to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Build Climate Resiliency

P.S. There are 400 nesting Bald Eagle pairs in NY

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: