THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 02:51:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian White-bellied Sea Eagle Cam 2016  (Read 12597 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 30-Jul-16, 09:29:03 AM »

SE17 hatched yesterday AM!

http://youtu.be/gCsdRGEr1WQ

SE17 this AM..pip in progress on second egg!

http://youtu.be/zwHe3d6mzcM

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31-Jul-16, 10:00:04 AM »

Welcome, SE18!

http://youtu.be/l0L61Kc_rtY

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31-Jul-16, 02:34:00 PM »

Lunchtime!  SE18's first meal

http://youtu.be/fIS20AEiYqs

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-Oct-16, 08:43:16 PM »

Eaglet SE17 began branching yesterday. Today he was out on a branch when he lost his footing, and slipped down to a lower branch. From there he went lower again, and then was divebombed by curras. This startled him, and he ended up on the ground, not a safe place for an eaglet. Among other hazards, there is a fox in the area.

Rescuers were able to reach him. They captured him and placed him in a cage. He is believed to be okay, but has been taken to be checked out at the wildlife hospital. I hope he is not injured. I am not sure what the next step is, but apparently it is unlikely that he will be returned to the nest.

Both parents are currently in the nest tree.
« Last Edit: 18-Oct-16, 09:09:35 PM by AlisonL » Logged
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-Oct-16, 04:32:55 AM »

Eaglet SE17 began branching yesterday. Today he was out on a branch when he lost his footing, and slipped down to a lower branch. From there he went lower again, and then was divebombed by curras. This startled him, and he ended up on the ground, not a safe place for an eaglet. Among other hazards, there is a fox in the area.

Rescuers were able to reach him. They captured him and placed him in a cage. He is believed to be okay, but has been taken to be checked out at the wildlife hospital. I hope he is not injured. I am not sure what the next step is, but apparently it is unlikely that he will be returned to the nest.

Both parents are currently in the nest tree.

This same thing happened another year and the Eaglet couldn't be returned to the nest.  Reading comments, it's a very difficult nest to access and people would need an appropriate license and insurance to be able to place him back in the nest.  After examination, they'll determine when and where to release SE17.  I also hope he's ok..been watching this site all season!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Oct-16, 10:11:39 AM »

Hope he's OK.  pray

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-Oct-16, 09:19:35 AM »

Posted on the sea-Eagle Cam FB page: 

The National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS), Sydney Olympic Park Authority and BirdLife Australia successfully returned the fledgling White-bellied Sea-Eagle to a safe place near its original nest today. We will continue to monitor its progress over coming days.

https://www.facebook.com/Sea.EagleCAM/

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-Oct-16, 01:10:49 PM »

Posted on the sea-Eagle Cam FB page: 

The National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS), Sydney Olympic Park Authority and BirdLife Australia successfully returned the fledgling White-bellied Sea-Eagle to a safe place near its original nest today. We will continue to monitor its progress over coming days.

https://www.facebook.com/Sea.EagleCAM/

Good news!  clap

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-Oct-16, 10:57:54 AM »

Sea eaglet SE17 has been found in the salt marsh area outside the reserve. Posted five hours ago:

Narrative from our lead researcher, Judy Harrington

This morning we received a report of a juvenile Sea-Eagle near the river.

Going to check a short while later, I heard lots of birds making a fuss over Main Lagoon -something's happening!

Going to check I saw SE17 standing in the saltmarsh. Over a couple of hours, Steve, Shirley and I watched him being swooped and seriously pecked by ravens. An adult landed beside him twice, though we saw no feeding.

To our great surprise another juvenile eagle flew over. No longer about though.

We were very concerned at the submissive posture and apparent poor condition of 17. We circled around and approached by a different direction. Again to our surprise, he took off and flew a short distance.  We left him safe (I hope) apparently in a tree. Still being swooped. I am unsure that he has been fed.

Hopefully tomorrow the parents will bring food and he stays in this safe area.

There are photos with the post. I hope SE17 is going to be okay; it is not good to see him on the ground and being attacked by ravens.

https://www.facebook.com/Sea.EagleCAM/posts/1189835334386783
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-Oct-16, 11:29:55 AM »

This is just so sad! What is going on over there??  Sad

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-Oct-16, 02:23:19 PM »

Sad

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26-Oct-16, 09:24:20 AM »

SE17 had not been seen for several days, but this morning there is a short post about a possible sighting.

10:50am, 26th October

Report from rangers they saw juvie fly from saltmarsh to forest. It was probably SE17 because (based on previous young) that is the likely area he may frequent, but they weren't close enough to see a band. *A first year WBSE was seen on Sunday, so there is a small possibility it had returned. A one year old wouldn't have the dark fringing on tail feathers (like the picture we have of S3 at the top of this page).

I hope that this is SE17, and that he is being fed by his parents. His Mom was seen with him in the salt marsh several days ago, so his parents know where he has been.
« Last Edit: 26-Oct-16, 10:55:47 PM by AlisonL » Logged
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26-Oct-16, 01:05:27 PM »

SE17 had not been seen for several days, but this morning there is a short post about a possible sighting.

10:50am, 26th October

Report from rangers they saw juvie fly from saltmarsh to forest. It was probably SE17 because (based on previous young) that is the likely area he may frequent, but they weren't close enough to see a band. *A first year WBSE was seen on Sunday, so there is a small possibility it had returned. A one year old wouldn't have the dark fringing on tail feathers (like the picture we have of S3 at the top of this page).

It hope that this is SE17, and that he is being fed by his parents. His Mom was seen with him in the salt marsh several days ago, so his parents know where he has been.

Fingers crossed!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-Oct-16, 10:38:01 AM »

No new sightings of SE17 so far, but some people have been hearing him on cam from time to time.

An article on this beautiful fledgling, with several photos:

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/news/sydney-sea-eagle-fledgling-returned-after-failed-first-flight
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-Oct-16, 08:29:36 PM »

good news posted on FB!

After hearing him for several days, SE17 has been located in the reserve, this morning.  Judy has seen him being harassed currawongs.  Appears to be in good health.

bow

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: