THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 10:51:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbus, Ohio Peregrines  (Read 8821 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25-Aug-17, 11:31:36 PM »

According to the Chicago Peregrine Program, one of the 2015 juvies from the Columbus nest has been seen spending time in the Montrose area, just north of Chicago.

He is Bolt, banded black/red N/34, son of Durand and Spark.

Bolt in 2015:

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25-Aug-17, 11:41:39 PM »

From the Columbus blog:

My Time to Fly

It is with mixed emotions that I announce my retirement from state service, on Sept 1.  While I have done many interesting and fulfilling things throughout my career, the peregrine project remains at the top of my list for the most impact.  I'm definitely honored to have had a role in the conservation of such a powerful and magnificent species…but equally powerful and magnificent has been the impact this project has had on so many people over the years, all over the world.  I am humbled to have increased the awareness of, informed, and educated people of all ages not only in Ohio, but also from many, many locations all over the world.

My beginnings were simple – in 1990, the Ohio Division of Wildlife was hacking peregrines in downtown Columbus as the first step in the Midwest population restoration efforts, and I was a wildlife management student at The Ohio State University.   I volunteered to be part of the “Peregrine Patrol” – the ground crew that kept an eye on the released falcons as they were taking their first flights.  Later, after I was hired full-time with the Division, I became the site manager for the Columbus nest.  From there, the cams were developed and even though I was the main person up front from the public’s perspective, there was always a team of folks making it happen.

As I look forward to the next chapter in my personal life, I admit that I do have reservation about no longer being part of the project, especially with the new and exciting challenges that face the team as the work at the Rhodes Tower commences.  But I have made my contributions and am confident that as I pass the baton, the team has a solid foundation to continue to have a positive impact on the species and all who follow them.

To read the rest of the post:

http://ohioperegrinefalcons.blogspot.ca/

I am very sorry to see Donna Schwab leave the peregrine project. She has always been a great supporter of the peregrines, and has worked tirelessly on their behalf. I have always enjoyed her blog entries, which have been a great source of useful information. The project will not be the same without her.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: