THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 04:20:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Spirit Bluff Falcons 2017  (Read 17097 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 08-Apr-17, 06:22:34 PM »

3/1/17

Great Spirit Bluff falcons are back! We have a new HD nest box camera that has been working well. It is amazing the difference that HD technology makes. We thank A2Z Security Cameras for their help and support!

http://www.ustream.tv/greatspiritblufffalcons?utm_source=crowd-live-backend&utm_medium=visit-channel&utm_campaign=notifications Nice clear pic! HD

Michelle & Newman, the pair with 4 eggs!  clap

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08-Apr-17, 06:44:29 PM »

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-May-17, 02:15:50 PM »

Sad news on FB... crying

We are aware of the two dead eyass falcons at Great Spirit Bluff and are planning a recovery tomorrow, weather permitting. We believe that insects may have clogged their airways, causing them to suffocate, but we can't know for sure unless we recover the carcasses. We will also try to capture some of the insects while we are down there. We've called them black flies and buffalo gnats, but black flies come in roughly 30 species in Minnesota and it would be helpful to know what we are dealing with.

We've had black fly problems here in the past, although we've never seen this kind of problem this early in the year. For more on that, read this blog: https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2017/05/black-flies-and-falcon-deaths-at-gsb.html

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-May-17, 02:45:57 PM »

More problems with insects there! At least they didn't jump to their deaths this time, but still, this is very sad.   Sad

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-May-17, 07:16:00 PM »

How awful. I knew I was afraid to look for some reason!!  Poor lil ones!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-May-17, 01:30:23 PM »

More bad news.. crying

http://youtu.be/-9DaHKuIjTE

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-May-17, 01:36:51 PM »

After one chick falling, the other tries to follow, hanging by his foot. Newman arrives but doesn't have Michelle's experience. Michelle finally gets it back in.

Tragic events at this site!  crying

http://youtu.be/3_IrlG3NiQA

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-May-17, 01:38:36 PM »

From their FB page:

Great Spirit Bluff Peregrine Falcons

As viewers have seen, of our two remaining eyasses at GSB, both have gone out of their nest box again this morning. One has fallen, and we suspect that the parents are trying to locate and care for it as we have seen in the past. The other eyass has escaped a couple of times also and in a remarkable display we have seen Michelle turn into super mom mode, pulling on the chick's wing and leg to pull it back in to safety.

RRP had planned for scheduled banding today and we have a few members of our team on site and others arriving as this is posted. We will keep you informed as more information is received, and would like you all to keep good thoughts for our climbing team and the young eyasses.

Raptor Resource Project is considering all options for the remaining eyases at Great Spirit Bluff now that one has jumped from the box. Our permits do not allow us to preemptively collect young birds from nests; as watchers know, birds face and overcome many dangers in their lives and we simply can't protect them from everything. We have located a potential foster box and are weighing treating the current box over attempting relocation, which comes with its own set of dangers and challenges. We will keep everyone posted. Thank you!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28-May-17, 03:42:21 PM »

This nest is cursed! How sad for them.....again!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-May-17, 04:17:33 PM »

The babies are reunited and in a clean nest box.  They cleaned up a boat load of crap and all the gravel and put new gravel in!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-May-17, 04:28:54 PM »

2 eyases have been banded and returned to a clean nest box!  clap

http://youtu.be/lkJUuWs9ouw
« Last Edit: 28-May-17, 06:12:51 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28-May-17, 04:37:07 PM »

YAY! Both eyases banded and back in nest box. They replaced the substrate and powdered & sprayed the area.

Check out Raptor Resource Project page for pics at banding. The RRP FB post reads:  John Howe has repelled down Great Spirit Bluff and is now cleaning the nest box after retrieving the remaining eyas. George Howe, hero of the search and rescue team, found the little jumper and brought it back up the bluff. Two eyasses banded today. Both males, names are Hamilton and Burr-d. Great work by the whole team, Amy Ries, David Kester, George Howe, and John Howe.

In attached cliff pic #1 you can see the repeller, eyases back in box, and a parent (blur in the left corner). Mom landed on perch as soon as repeller reached top in cliff pic #2. Lastly, adventurers in #3...just 2 very tired eyases.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28-May-17, 06:50:01 PM »

bow Oh this is great news!! Thanks Joyce, I was so worried about the jumper!! Glad the boys are OK!!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-Jun-17, 03:49:36 PM »

Chick was outside on the wrungs and plummeted off to the ground!!  crying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPKiZQwiRk&feature=youtu.be
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03-Jun-17, 04:33:13 PM »

Oh no, not again!!!  Shocked

-John Burroughs
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: