THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 07:20:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Australian White-bellied Sea Eagle Cam 2017  (Read 3803 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 26-Jul-17, 11:41:50 AM »

SE-19 hatched Saturday..yesterday, another Sea Eagle attacked the nest.  Sad

FB update

Last update for tonight - no-one will be monitoring this page overnight (Australian time) so there may not be replies to your questions until the morning.
Following the presence of an intruder (another Sea-Eagle) at the nest this afternoon (see videos I posted earlier) both parents have not been on the nest and unfortunately SE-19 is alone.
A small rescue team found 2 adult sea-eagles on the ground - one was rescued & is at the vet - he/she has an injury to the breastbone area, has had an antibiotic shot and will be more fully examined in the morning.
The other bird, couldn't be caught despite best efforts. A waxing moon makes it very dark for a sea-eagle to fly & for any rescue. The team will go back in the morning to see what they can do. It is too dark & too dangerous for anyone to attempt to access the nest (80ft up) overnight.
-- Emm

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26-Jul-17, 09:06:35 PM »

This is just wayyyy too sad!  Sad  Poor baby and adult!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-Jul-17, 09:25:41 PM »

Update   crying

A sad update this morning: following the presence of the intruder Sea-Eagle yesterday, neither parent was on the nest overnight & our eaglet (SE19) has died. The remaining egg has not pipped and is no doubt nonviable.
The male, "Dad" is in the area as well as another eagle, identification unconfirmed at this stage. Another eagle is at the Animal Referral Hospital, also with identification to be confirmed. Staff there will check for a brood patch to indicate whether this is our female or the intruder.
Neither eagle in the nest area has attended the nest, tried to brood the chick or the egg.
This is very sad, but this would appear to be a territorial dispute. We hope to find out more and will confirm as soon as we can.
Thanks to everyone who helped last night and others who have been watching so carefully. -- Emm on behalf of the Sea-EagleCAM team

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-Jul-17, 05:14:06 AM »

I just don't know what to say anymore!  crying  The little darling! 

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-Jul-17, 08:52:00 PM »

Today's update from FB-

Quick summary for those who haven't read the timeline first.   Lady and Dad appear to be ok, following events of yesterday.   SE19 didn't survive and the intruder we took to the vet last night, died this morning.

Message from Judy Harrington

"Thursday 27 evening. I have been to the Animal Referral Hospital where the injured bird was taken. Ellen the vet conducted an autopsy, to determine cause of death. It was a young female, just sexually mature, in good condition.  Feathers were kept for their feather bank, for imping (feather transplant).

Samples were taken for testing for Beak and Feather disease, for Persistent Organic Pesticides, feathers for the Feather Map project, as well as tissues for analysis for her general condition, to determine if there were any other viruses or other conditions present. So while her death is sad, we shall learn more and contribute to other research. She was a beautiful bird!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-Jul-17, 09:20:03 PM »

Ok, now that is even sadder that she was a young girl, just learning to be on her own! Oh the instinct for these birds to take over a nest is CRAZY!!! And we thought humans were brutal!! Birds are no better!!  Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-Jul-17, 09:26:26 PM »

Ok, now that is even sadder that she was a young girl, just learning to be on her own! Oh the instinct for these birds to take over a nest is CRAZY!!! And we thought humans were brutal!! Birds are no better!!  Sad

I know!  So sad the parents abandoned the nest and baby had to die too.  Sad all the way around for everybody.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: