THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 01:56:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Storm? Or Iceless Storm? That is the question! 4/14 and 4/15, 2018  (Read 4148 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 14-Apr-18, 02:24:16 PM »

The Rochester area is under an Ice Storm Warning from Saturday at 2 pm and Sunday at 2 pm. It's just past 2 pm now and the temps are falling and it's getting windy. I filled the feeders and put out suet this morning. The birds and the squirrels are are in a feeding frenzy. Do they sense the approaching storm? I think so.

So, now the question is, will there or won't there be an ice storm?

Here's a good place to post your observations. Share what you see.

Take care everyone and stay safe!   shiver tongue2 blustery

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14-Apr-18, 02:52:04 PM »

The Rochester area is under an Ice Storm Warning from Saturday at 2 pm and Sunday at 2 pm. It's just past 2 pm now and the temps are falling and it's getting windy. I filled the feeders and put out suet this morning. The birds and the squirrels are are in a feeding frenzy. Do they sense the approaching storm? I think so.

So, now the question is, will there or won't there be an ice storm?

Here's a good place to post your observations. Share what you see.

Take care everyone and stay safe!   shiver tongue2 blustery

Nothing here, just outside of Batavia, and my friend in Lackawanna (Buffalo area) just messaged nothing happening there either.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-Apr-18, 05:31:39 PM »

No precip here in Irondequoit right now, but the northeast wind and waves here on the lake are pretty fierce. I took a bunch of photos at a high spot on Lakeshore Blvd, and I thought I was smart staying in my car to take them. They're still out of focus, though, because my car was rockin' and rollin' in the wind!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-Apr-18, 05:43:52 PM »

We're buried in ice, it started around noon today and by the time it ends tomorrow we'll have up to 20 cm of it. Power outages are starting now in some areas.  When you look on the cams it looks like snow but that's ice accumulation you're seeing.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-Apr-18, 07:46:09 AM »

Sounds bad Carly! Be safe!

Nothing much here, thank goodness. A bit of ice on the ground, but nothing on the trees. It is raining again now and the weather folks are saying we could get up to a 1/4" of ice by midday when the storm should end.

Put food out for the birds on an icy log in my yard and it is covered in birds! Last night 20 Robins joined my backyard Robin looking for worms. I assume they are migrating and very hungry. Saw my first Junco! Yay!  The Finch feeder is covered with small yellow beauties and the nyger seed is being drained. Found a dead Red-Bellied Woodpecker yesterday. So sad. Ok, I'm done! For now. lol

One more thing. Just heard the Riverrun Race has been cancelled due to the weather.

Enjoy your Sunday!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-Apr-18, 08:38:55 AM »

Hamilton has it worse, look at poor Lily, encrusted in ice.  When that switches to heavy rain later that will slide right off the ice.  Their nest failed last year due to rain and cold and this is much worse.  Ours is going to last until about 8 pm tonight again.   I suspect many nests will fail this year - those nesting on open ledges at least.   

The Sheraton cam is frozen on yesterday but at least she is sheltered as is Midnight at MEC.   Maybe it's best Aria and Lucky don't have eggs this year.  With the work on the tower and this weather, it would not be a good first time experience for Aria.  

I was out earlier feeding the squirrels and birds as well.  I literally just dumped the food out everywhere I could on the property for everyone.  Very sad about the woodpecker Sad
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-Apr-18, 10:06:41 AM »

Poor Lily and all creatures out in the elements!  Here, everything outside is covered with ice including our house windows.  Here’s a pic of the windows in our not so sunny Sunroom.  lol

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16-Apr-18, 06:51:02 AM »

Lily may surprise you Carly. She's staying tight on those eggs keeping them nice and toasty warm.  heart

We had a little bit of ice coating the trees yesterday afternoon. But it's gone now. Rainy day here in Rochester, but it should taper off this afternoon and then the winds will pick up. We're also under a flood watch.

Enjoy the day everyone!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16-Apr-18, 07:45:26 AM »

Lily may surprise you Carly. She's staying tight on those eggs keeping them nice and toasty warm.  heart

We had a little bit of ice coating the trees yesterday afternoon. But it's gone now. Rainy day here in Rochester, but it should taper off this afternoon and then the winds will pick up. We're also under a flood watch.

Enjoy the day everyone!

I don't doubt Lily, Carol - it's that ledge...if too much rain falls in a short period it can't drain fast enough so the water spreads sideways and saturates the eggs from underneath.   I really hope they get a hatch or two.  They are so close... about 10 days out.  The ledge doesn't look as bad as I feared this morning.
« Last Edit: 16-Apr-18, 07:51:12 AM by carly » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: