THE FORUM

17-Apr-24, 11:00:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: egg #1 in evanston as of early a.m.  (Read 18362 times)
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 01-May-10, 04:22:20 PM »

Yeah, I just saw them uncovered for a minute, and I am almost 100% sure I see two BEAKS in that mess, a phenomenon most commonly seen on TWO BIRDS.
Cool.
May Day double-header!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04-May-10, 06:46:39 AM »

With a few clicks, Evanston residents can watch baby falcons grow from eggs to birds of prey on the Evanston Public Library’s website.

The webcam, which operates from March to June, watches a nest of two falcons, which are two of 24 of their species in the state. The camera records every moment, from the falcons sitting on their eggs to the chicks finally leaving the nest to start their own families.The same pair of falcons have been nesting on a pillar outside the third floor of the building for three years.

When former library director Neal Ney first noticed falcons nesting at the library about six years ago, they had made their home in a flower box beside the third floor window. Ney covered the window with graph paper to keep visitors from disturbing the birds. An information technology employee recommended setting up a camera so people could watch as the chicks hatched and developed.

After the first year, it was not clear whether the project would continue because the first female broke her wing and only one chick survived, but a new female arrived the following year and the pair has been nesting at the library ever since.

“A new cliff may become more attractive at some point, but I think the likelihood of the birds coming back is pretty high,” Ney said.

The library is hoping to upgrade the camera next year to record continuously, said virtual services librarian David Jordan. The current camera takes only still images every five minutes.
  clap

Since the falcons first started nesting at the library, officials have been in contact with Mary Hennen, collections assistant for the Birds Division at the Field Museum and director of the Chicago Peregrine Program. When the chicks are three to four weeks old, Hennen comes to the library, takes blood samples and fits bands on the birds so she can monitor their dispersal.

The EPL never publicizes the banding as an event, but a small crowd usually gathers and watches it, said Donald Westphal, who works in the maintenance department at the EPL. Videos from last year’s banding are available online.

Hennen has been monitoring peregrine falcons in Illinois for 20 years. In 1951, the species was completely wiped out in the state because of poisoning from a pesticide used on crops and in forests that made the birds’ egg shells so thin females would break their own eggs while trying to incubate them.

In 1972, the federal government banned the pesticide and the species began recovering about 20 years later, Hennen said. Now, the state touts 24 of the falcons.

That may not seem like a large number, but Hennen said the falcons are no longer considered endangered in the state.

dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 04-May-10, 10:48:00 AM »

We may have four chicks this morning, hard to say since Nona is, to lift a phrase from Chris Johnson, sitting on the family. The cam actually refreshes every two minutes.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04-May-10, 10:52:16 AM »

We may have four chicks this morning, hard to say since Nona is, to lift a phrase from Chris Johnson, sitting on the family. The cam actually refreshes every two minutes.

Great News!   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 08-May-10, 07:22:47 AM »

We never did get a fourth hatch - that egg's still in there with the 3 chicks.

The Tribune's recent short video: http://www.chicagotribune.com/videobeta/?watchId=11822277-4968-403e-8099-e99d4dc63070

Both of these give a much clearer picture of the layout of the Evanston scrape situation than the cam shots, muggy as they are, can.

Still shots of the Evanston scrape, also by the Tribune: http://www.epl.org/falconcam/tribfalconpics.html
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-May-10, 07:32:33 AM »

We never did get a fourth hatch - that egg's still in there with the 3 chicks.

The Tribune's recent short video: http://www.chicagotribune.com/videobeta/?watchId=11822277-4968-403e-8099-e99d4dc63070

Both of these give a much clearer picture of the layout of the Evanston scrape situation than the cam shots, muggy as they are, can.

Still shots of the Evanston scrape, also by the Tribune: http://www.epl.org/falconcam/tribfalconpics.html

Oh I love the video, they are so cute. What a great BIG area to raise a family...lots of running room. THANKS!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08-May-10, 07:45:08 AM »

Thanks Dale. Love the pics. heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 14-May-10, 01:34:15 PM »

three-headed falcon chick asleep in evanston this morning
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14-May-10, 01:37:37 PM »

three-headed falcon chick asleep in evanston this morning

Hard to believe there are only 3 in that pile!  surprise

dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 25-May-10, 06:22:38 PM »

Chicago TV coverage of the evanston falcons coming up in about an hour and a half, if anyone can get that station. I think they will have it on the internet after the airing. This is in preparation for tomorrow's public banding, to be held, as usual, on the third floor of the library. The library had buttons made from a couple of my peregrine drawings to commemorate the banding.

Tonight on Chicago Tonight (Channel 11, 7 pm Chicago time) Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Peregrine Falcons--For the seventh year in a row, a pair of pigeon-eating peregrine falcons has started a family atop the Evanston Public Library. Bird lovers are delighted; pigeons are not.  Eddie Arruza gives us a peak at the nest housing three fledgling falcons.
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 26-May-10, 08:19:11 AM »

That local TV piece on the evanston falcons is already up for video viewing on the internet at http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42,8,80  (on the right you'll see "Peregrine Falcons" in the list of video segments). They took some new footage, but they used still shots from the banding 2 years ago -- I was surprised to see myself holding an eyas!  The banding is today...after that advertising I'm afraid the days of small bandings are over here!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: