THE FORUM

19-Mar-24, 07:22:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falcons in Niagara Falls  (Read 3886 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 04-May-10, 09:25:46 AM »

:

As best as we can guess from the dates and time lines based on the reports that we received from our good friends at the DEC out of Buffalo New York, there should have a hatch by now. While it was confirmed that the peregrines are in fact nesting at the decommissioned Ontario Power Station facility in the Niagara gorge, the small opening in the wall face where the peregrines have been nesting, makes it only visible from the US side, and it requires very strong magnification to see across the gorge to the wall face of the old OPG plant to see the nest opening. We can only hope that we get additional observation reports of food being taken into the nest by the adults that would confirm that there has been a hatch. The old OPG plant has long since been turned over to the Niagara Parks Commission who have yet to do anything with the old facility.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11-May-10, 11:39:57 AM »

From the canadian peregrine site: (pictures are available on the site)

!!! Adults still on territory, but are they nesting?
May 09, 2010 - Niagara Falls
CPF Postmaster Reports:

A big thank you to Rebecca for sending in these great shots of the two peregrines at the Niagara falls gorge that were taken on May 9th of this year. While the search continues to try and identify a possible nest site, (and to identify the birds themselves), it appears that the elusive pair are still very much around and have been quite active. Observation reports of the birds activity have been streaming in from both sides of the border in recent weeks, but the mystery continues with regards to any nesting activity and the birds identity. While both of the birds still remain unidentified at this point, we do have a partial band number and band colour of the female given Rebecca’s photo that indicates that the she dawns a Black over Red colour marker band having a lower alpha digit of H. The USFW band number appears to a coloured band instead of the typical silver coloured band. The photo of the male in flight that shows one of its legs, appears to be unbanded.
The mystery contines………..

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2010/05/sightings/adults-still-on-territory-but-are-they-nesting/

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 13-May-10, 12:02:49 AM »

Yes!  That's another local mystery yet to be solved!  We're going to check it out.

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14-May-10, 01:19:36 AM »

Looks like the female is a first-year peregrine based on the color and striping.  Because of the purplish USFW band, it is likely a midwest falcon, just like BB at UB.  I know that MN and MI use those colored USFW bands, but I don't know where else they are used.  Attached are the 2009 female falcons with black/red with H on the red.  Many to chose from!  Because of the female's age, maybe they are not nesting.

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-May-10, 07:02:59 PM »

I was looking at CMNH forum and just saw pics from the banding of the Terminal Tower eyases in Cleveland.  For the females, the numbers posted were 58/H and 59/H  They are using black over red.  In the pic below you can see the USFW band is purple.

So maybe the Niagara Falls Peregrine is from OHIO.  (I love trying to solve falcon mysterys paperbag ...just call me Sherlock Cheesy)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-Apr-11, 12:11:24 AM »

Sage posted this Apr 12, on facebook ~Peregrine Place~

Jacquie, DEC tech, witnessed a 3-1/2 fight at the Niagara Gorge site today when the resident pair of Peregrines had to fight off an intruding pair!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-Apr-11, 06:29:15 AM »

Sage posted this Apr 12, on facebook ~Peregrine Place~

Jacquie, DEC tech, witnessed a 3-1/2 fight at the Niagara Gorge site today when the resident pair of Peregrines had to fight off an intruding pair!

3 1/2 hours? There has to be injuries. This is sad. I just think Mariah. Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: