THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 03:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peregrine falcon birth alert in Jackson!  (Read 6326 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 05-May-10, 11:11:09 PM »

I started a thread for this site but can't seem to find it, so I'll make another:  Cheesy

The world is atwitter this morning with word that Jackson's most celebrated eggs have hatched. Three rare and brand new peregrine falcons are now nesting with their mother high atop the Jackson County Tower Building.

Falcon watchers can keep tabs by clicking here for the county government Falcon Cam, which updates photos of the nest every 15 seconds.

Be warned about the Falcon Cam, though. It can take a long time before the mother falcon, Big Red, moves away from her young far enough to provide a clear view of the babies. Due to glare off a window, the quality of images varies with time of day,

Birth of baby falcons completes a two-year effort by the county to provide a suitable nesting place. The lightning-fast raptors have been seen around the Tower Building for years but until humans added pea gravel to high nooks and crannies this spring, the falcons did not nest.

"We're parents," proud Jackson County Administrator Randy Treacher said this morning.

Lynn W
Pipping

Like Count: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06-May-10, 09:36:34 AM »

We are so happy here in Jackson, MI - who would have known we'd have eyases in our little town!  (Just wish we had a better web cam!)  Big Red laid 4 eggs - one disappeared, but the other three hatched.

Here is your original post Donna on April 2nd:

Predatory love has conquered the skies above Michigan Avenue.

A pair of rare peregrine falcons has courted, mated and laid three eggs high atop the Jackson County Tower Building.

It is the first time peregrine falcons have bred in Jackson. Biologically speaking, it is a very big deal.

"We have fewer than 40 nesting sites for this species in Michigan," said Karen Cleveland, all-bird biologist for the state Department of Natural Resources and Environment.

"It is always exciting. It is never routine."

Assuming all goes well — which is no sure thing — the eggs will hatch in early May.

The mother, a Chicago-born bird named Big Red, and the still-unidentified father might soon rank as Jackson's most famous couple.

Call it a rooftop reality show.

Access to the nest site will be restricted, but progress of the falcon family is already shown live on the Internet (http://96.61.192.55:8888/update.html) thanks to a Web camera installed by county workers.

Peregrine falcons are fierce predators that dive from the sky at up to 200 mph to catch prey in the air. They live on cliffs in the wild and on tall buildings and bridges in developed areas.

Falcons were seen on the Tower Building for years, but a DNRE investigation last summer determined the birds did not breed there.

"The building was unusually clean. There was not a lot of debris and gravel they could use for a nest," said Barb Baldinger, a peregrine falcon volunteer for the DNRE.

Wildlife experts suggested that humans provide pea gravel as a potential nesting material.

County maintenance workers followed the advice by putting down stones in four places in mid-March. Obviously, it worked quickly.

"It was like the last piece of the puzzle for the birds," Cleveland said. "They were ready."

And now a word about the bonds that unite the happy couple.

Falcons mate for life in the same way humans do: With varying success.

"If they have a pairing that works, usually they stick with it," Cleveland said. "But sometimes the male will have a girl on the side. Sometimes the female will go off with another male."

Jackson's falcon couple evidently hooked up last year, when the female stole the male from an older lady bird.

The band on her leg, read for the first time this week, identifies the female as Big Red. She hatched in 2008 at 125 S. Wacker Drive in Chicago.

Big Red is named after the nickname for a Chicago building. Her father is Joe, who came from Milwaukee, and her mother is Rahn, a native of Sheboygan, Wis.

Mother and father share child-rearing duties and take turns incubating the eggs.

"He relieves her so she can stretch her wings and have a meal," Baldinger said.

Not all eggs hatch, and not all baby birds survive. Peregrine falcon mothers typically have more success as they grow a little older.

"They tend not to do so hot at first," Cleveland said. "At 2 years old, she is like a teenage mother. It is a very positive sign that she had three eggs."

Roughly six weeks after they hatch, about the middle of June, baby birds will begin to jump on ledges and flap their wings.

Flying is instinctive, but baby birds must be taught to hunt. As training, parents often fly with the young and pass them food in mid-air.

That should make an unforgettable sight over downtown Jackson.

Young falcons will fly away in late summer or early fall.

"They will take off and we will probably never see them again," Cleveland said.

Big Red and her male likely will return to Jackson to produce new generations for years to come.

"You generally get the same birds coming back to the same places," said Cleveland.

Love, and gravel, conquers all.

Lynn W.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-May-10, 11:11:00 AM »

We are so happy here in Jackson, MI - who would have known we'd have eyases in our little town!  (Just wish we had a better web cam!)  Big Red laid 4 eggs - one disappeared, but the other three hatched.

That's great Lynn...are they close to you where you can go visit? Congrats. Thanks for finding my original post, there's so many I kinda lose track of them!  stupid

Oh I hate when an egg disappears!  Shocked

Lynn W
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-May-10, 02:08:26 PM »

Big Red's mate has been identified - Clayton, from the first hatching 2007 at the University of Toledo, Ohio, in 2007.  He is a handsome fellow.  Here is a pic of Clayton and feeding from this morning.

Lynn W.
Lynn W
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-May-10, 02:17:47 PM »

Sorry, that's Chayton, not Clayton.

Lynn W.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 06-May-10, 02:28:33 PM »

Another Chayton? I thought Aafke's Chayton from 2003 was the only one.
Lynn W
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-May-10, 03:02:45 PM »

Here's the link:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/dow/falcons/year.aspx?year_id=26

Lynn W.
Lynn W
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-May-10, 09:34:55 AM »

Hey Donna - our babies are now 20 days old and discovering their wings!  It's so cute.  They will be banded within the next 5-6 days. 

Lynn W.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-May-10, 09:46:54 AM »

coolphotos thanks2

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-May-10, 01:29:47 PM »

Hey Donna - our babies are now 20 days old and discovering their wings!  It's so cute.  They will be banded within the next 5-6 days. 

Congrats! I  heart all these babies.....there's a slew of them this year. Thanks

Lynn W
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-May-11, 03:24:50 PM »

Thanks Donna!  I reported the first hatching in the other thread. 

Lynn W.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: