THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 06:13:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riverside Church Peregrines  (Read 4426 times)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« on: 23-May-10, 09:22:34 PM »

Stopped by church on Saturday.  Just missed the Dalai Lama, but caught the traffic.  I did find a parking space so I could ask about the falcons.  Turned out security in front of the church for the event filled me in.  Four eggs were expected to hatch last week.  I got a picture of both adults perched by the scrape, so I assume there are chicks.  Everyone will know for sure when DEC goes up to check shortly.  They will post pictures.  That means I have to go back to church!!  It is a great church and very friendly.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 23-May-10, 09:37:22 PM »

wave   Awesome nest site!    clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 30-May-10, 05:39:08 PM »

I'm still missing the church service, but I am stopping on my way back home from Water St.  Discovered more about the eyases there.  There are four who were banded on Friday, May 28, 2010.  They have three females and one male:  Maria, Marlena, Carla and George.  After the eyases fledge something is going to happen with the scrape, but I am not sure what.  I am still trying to find out.  In any case, here is the male very near the scrape.  The female was on the gargoyle in front of the scrape.

William Blake
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 05-Jun-10, 09:33:00 PM »

Made my weekly stop.  Both adults were flying and kakking around the church steeple and it's only Saturday.  Eyases could not have been between 6 and 8 weeks old last week as mentioned in the church bulletin.  Could be that long from first egg to now???  As usual, I was there at the wrong time of day.  Can't do the traffic late in the day when the light would be good.  And can't see the scrape and birds if I got the sun at my back.  Enjoy the pics.  The picture from Riverside shows falcons about 3 weeks like Jersey City when they were banded.  So fledging in about three weeks??  Should be one week later than JC.

http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/news/article.php?id=356

And I wanted a peek at the Broadway Bridge peregrines just up the road, but only one adult was visible along with the whitewash.

William Blake
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 20-Jun-10, 03:47:23 PM »

Stopped yesterday and today, Sunday June 20.  One really sleek bird was out on the ledge by the gargoyle next to an adult yesterday.  The bird looked like it could have fledged.  Today, I thought I was looking at only one, but when I downloaded the pictures, I could see the tail of another tucked onto one of the close ledges.  So, I am sure all four must be fine and it is extremely difficult to see them given the architecture of Riverside Church.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sunday, June 20, 2010  (These are all eyases/fledglings)

William Blake
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 11-Jul-10, 10:58:11 AM »

I stop here on my way back from Jersey City and have been rewarded with sightings of fledglings and adults.  Last Saturday a fledgling made a beautiful flight around the top of the church.  It landed gracefully.

This Sunday, I was treated to flying and kakking by one fledgling and preening by another.  Both adults were close.  One went into a stoop from the top antenna of the church and must have returned with prey.  I missed pictures of the stoop and one fledgling in the air, but I did get a couple of perched shots.  I wish I knew if all four are OK.

William Blake
anneintoronto
« Reply #6 on: 12-Jul-10, 08:39:41 AM »

I stop here on my way back from Jersey City and have been rewarded with sightings of fledglings and adults.  Last Saturday a fledgling made a beautiful flight around the top of the church.  It landed gracefully.

This Sunday, I was treated to flying and kakking by one fledgling and preening by another.  Both adults were close.  One went into a stoop from the top antenna of the church and must have returned with prey.  I missed pictures of the stoop and one fledgling in the air, but I did get a couple of perched shots.  I wish I knew if all four are OK.

Thanks, Bonnie, for the descriptions and great photos!  You've seen a lot of action of the fledglings!  And the photos are great!  I really enjoyed looking at them!
Wishing you a wonderful day!
Anne C. (Toronto, ON Canada)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-Jul-10, 11:16:03 AM »

coolphotos flash thanks2

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: