THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 12:59:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad loss of a funny fledgling in Pitt  (Read 2904 times)
janethowland
Pipping

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« on: 04-Jul-10, 03:05:59 PM »

I have been so involved watching our Roch family that I hadn't checked on the other site in Pittsburgh that I would watch. I was so sad to read of the death of the young bird named Green Boy who really made a statement in his very short life. You just have to see this video of him when he was knocked out of the NB by one of his flapping siblings.  After a number of hours, he finally made his way up the ramp.  Look at the faces of the other 4 when he gets back on top.  Priceless! http://www.wildearth.tv/web/nav-per-campus?streamId=nav-per-campus%2F2010%2F05%2F25%2F2010-05-25-17-31_nav-per-campus.flv&bspId=86084&start=357

This is the story that goes with the attached photo.  What a character he was!  He was found dead after he fell into a narrow, metal chimney and couldn't get out.  The site now reports that the chimney has been covered.

Last Friday the 25th floor roof of the Cathedral of Learning was a hotspot of peregrine fledgling activity.  Each of the fledglings visited the roof and their parents stopped by to check on them.

Most of the birds perched and preened but when Green Boy arrived he caused a stir.  As usual.

You may remember Green Boy.  He’s the Prodigal Son who fell in the gully on May 26 and climbed out on his own.  Then he had to be rescued on June 1 from a courtyard near the Office of the Chancellor.  We don’t know what he did for the next three days but on Friday he surfaced again.

Around noon he flew to the 25th floor roof and made it his business to explore it on foot.  He climbed piles of roof tiles, poked in the corners and spent hours trying to perch on slippery metal pipes.

In the process he got close to a pigeons’ nest.  Movement caught his eye.  â€śWhat’s that?”

From afar the pigeon parents saw him and flew in to block his advance.  â€śStay away!” they said.

Undaunted, Green Boy stepped forward and both pigeons jumped on him.  He rolled on his back and fought with his talons.  The pigeons couldn’t hurt him but Green Boy was startled so he ran away.  How embarrassing to be chased by what should be your dinner!

Later he tried again.  He had to see what was over there.  When a pigeon arrived to challenge him, Green Boy stood his ground and shouted, “I’m tellin’ ya, leave me alone!”

Oh, Green Boy, you’ve got a lot to learn!

[/i]
« Last Edit: 04-Jul-10, 03:11:33 PM by janethowland » Logged
janethowland
Pipping

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04-Jul-10, 04:32:23 PM »

OMG!  I forgot that Dorothy was Beauty's mom!  Thanks for reminding me.  Makes the loss even more sad...
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 04-Jul-10, 06:11:47 PM »

what a wonderful, wonderful video and how sad to lose such a terrific character!

Also, I have to say - what a whole LOT of falcon that is in one space!!! 
The only thing more startling than the sheer density of peregrine in there is the utter profundity of their cluelessness. He has no idea what happened, they have no idea what's going on...none!

btw, the first minutes of the video -- that way birds have of turning their heads to train one eye on something - anyone who has had a parrot has enjoyed watching it do that -- sometime try, in a nice restaurant, when they bring you your plate, looking down at it as if you have eyes on the sides of your head. It's highly entertaining.

Thanks again so much for the link!  Poor guy...

dale

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-Jul-10, 12:07:38 AM »

They are very cute.  Too bad about Green Boy. Sad heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: