THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 03:47:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richmond, VA Falcons  (Read 78115 times)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 20-Aug-09, 02:46:51 PM »

Thought you might like to see the pen they put up.  It was a very good thing those birds were contained for 48 days.  Those are the two girls.  The top girl climbed all the way up that string of lights to the top.  Next is the young male.  And last is the big girl kakking to mom who is just below her.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
valhalla
« Reply #16 on: 20-Aug-09, 04:24:18 PM »

Thanks for the pictures - I will have my eyes to the sky when in Richmond in 2 weeks.  Granted, it is the other side of town by the Raceway, but 2 years ago, one of the females headed up I-95 to the New Carrollton, MD Metro!
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 21-Aug-09, 06:11:27 PM »

Janet, the birds are about a month and a half behind schedule this year.

Here is a video I made of the smaller female climbing the Christmas lights.  I'm not Lou, so just enjoy the idea:

Lucy Climbs the Chrismas Lights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cyacu-e3d4

William Blake
valhalla
« Reply #18 on: 21-Aug-09, 07:42:17 PM »

These guys are always a bit late - I'm always looking for Juvies by the time we get to the Chase.  Great Video -  clap  hubby and I both kept waiting for the leap.   sparrow
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-Aug-09, 09:37:46 AM »

http://static.mgnetwork.com/rtd/slideshows/20090820falc/index.html

Very exciting for you Bonnie to watch this!!  clap thumbsup 2thumbsup

Donna

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 22-Aug-09, 10:06:37 AM »

It was very exciting to see them fledge one by one within an hour.  That is me in the straw hat with the scope.  There is four block open space on one side and the James River on the other side.  The only problem was the highway in between.  But they all never even came close to the road.  Of course, busy traffic in Richmond is nothing like traffic in NYC.  The travel time was about the same as going up to Rochester.

William Blake
valhalla
« Reply #21 on: 22-Aug-09, 11:38:16 AM »

Bonnie - do you know if they stayed close to the "nest" after fledging?  Will be on that side of Richmond Thursday evening, so..... whistle
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 22-Aug-09, 02:10:07 PM »

They have only been out since Tuesday.  Tues and Wed nights they were on Riverfront Plaza (except for the big female who spent the night on the Federal Reserve lamp post).  Wed night they were all at Riverfront.  They seem to go between the east and west towers.  The big girl continued to like to fly between Fed Reserve, Dominion, McGuireWoods and Riverfront.  I think they won't be going too much farther than that.  The best place to watch is from the middle of the Manchester Bridge, but it is concrete and in full sun.  The second good place is Kanawa Plaza with the fountain or Dominion Plaza.  It's kind of tricky because the other buildings are private.  We only had free run of the place because we were watching.  I think if you tell people you are watching the falcons, you might gain access.  One other good place was the Riverfront Plaza park like area right on the James River.  The only way is to get through security.

William Blake
valhalla
« Reply #23 on: 22-Aug-09, 02:15:46 PM »

Thanks - sun won't be a factor, as we will only be in the area in the evening/night and THAT is dependent on when we get home from work and out of Maryland.  I'm thinking about booking a hotel in that area, hence the questions.  I still think my best chance will be at RIR in 3 weeks (and I always look). 
valhalla
« Reply #24 on: 13-Sep-09, 07:27:13 PM »

So, we went to the NASCAR Race at Richmond International Raceway yesterday  nascar  NO RAIN was in the forecast - not even on RADAR and it RAINED  umbrella2  For those keeping count that is 3 of the 4 races we had tickets for this year.

Anyway, after we went back to our now cold wet seats, we were watching life fly by falcon and one of the FALCONS flew by!  We both saw it and yelped.  I texted Donna, but phones are not my strong point and I screwed up. blonde  Also my falcon barometer for Tony Stewart victories is not working, as Tony got banged up early and didn't finish well.  Went into the Chase in 2nd (50-year old Mark Martin went in first, so let's hear it for us old folks)!  winner Good race, but the rain, damp, and cold killed my hip and we left with about 80 laps to go.  Got to the truck (maybe a 1/3 mile away) with 20 laps to go.  turtle-e90 I tell Rich Weebles wooble but this one MIGHT fall over!

So, I failed at my attempt to post falcon info, but it was one of those nights!  :-)

Oh!  How 'bout them Cowboys?   football
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13-Oct-10, 05:07:24 PM »

A female Peregrine Falcon — the keystone of the successful effort to reintroduce these rare birds to Richmond — has been admitted to the Wildlife Center of Virginia.

The Peregrine Falcon was found on the ground, injured and unable to fly, on East Cary Street in Richmond on Monday, October 11.  She was picked up by A. K. Taylor of Richmond Animal Control and taken to the Cary Street Animal Hospital.   

The falcon was examined by Dr. Kimberly Kuhn.  Dr. Kuhn took x-rays of the bird and, in consultation with Wildlife Center veterinarian Dr. Miranda Sadar, concluded that the falcon should be brought to the Center in Waynesboro.  Volunteer transporter Michael Knight drove the falcon to the Center, arriving at about 9 p.m.

At admission, the falcon was assigned Patient #10-2118 and examined by Dr. Sadar, assisted by Dr. Marc Isidoro Ayza [from Spain] and Pedro Paulo Giese Krindges [a veterinary student from Brazil].  In addition to a coracoid fracture identified in the earlier x-rays, the Center vet team found injuries to the falcon’s right shoulder and a detached retina in the bird’s right eye.  Given that all of the injuries are on the same side of the bird, Center vets surmise that the falcon may have hit the side of a building or some other object.

Center vets administered pain medications, fluids, and anti-inflammatories and secured the falcon in a body wrap.

The falcon — a large female [weight of 1 kg] — has been identified by Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries biologists as the female from the pair of peregrines that have been nesting in downtown Richmond since 2003 — first at the BBT Building, and more recently on the west building of the Riverfront Plaza.  This pair has produced numerous offspring, included chicks that have been used to introduce peregrines into other areas of Virginia.  This female also has been the “star” of the VDGIF Falcon Cam – a web-based camera focused on the falcon’s nest.

[Earlier this year, the Center admitted and transferred for release a juvenile Peregrine Falcon -- likely one of the hatchlings from this Riverfront Plaza nest.]

The Peregrine Falcon is a native species to Virginia, once nesting in the Allegheny and Blue Ridge Mountains.  By the early 1960s, the falcon was believed to be extinct as a breeding species in Virginia and all areas east of the Mississippi River — a decline linked to the widespread use of DDT and other chemicals.  A program of peregrine reintroduction began in Virginia in 1978.  There are now about 20 known breeding paris of peregrines in Virginia.

So sad.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13-Oct-10, 05:19:11 PM »

Poor sweetheart.  Sending healing thoughts her way.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13-Oct-10, 05:21:31 PM »

Precious one!  Hope she gets better soon

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
falconsforever129
Juvie

Like Count: 37

~~Believe In Miracles~~

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13-Oct-10, 05:27:04 PM »

I was just reading this on Facebook...the poor dear one...I hope she heals completely.
And I had just posted a little while ago to Carol how precious Peregrines are...
What a shame :-(
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13-Oct-10, 07:00:33 PM »

Sad  Sounds like Jemison except for the retina injury. We know it can heal from the broken bones but I don't know about that eye. I would think it would have a rough time in the wild with only one good eye. You never know.  pray heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: