THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:22:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Our Quest for Quest! A Success! - Saturday, August 28, 2010  (Read 28667 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30-Aug-10, 10:57:35 AM »

So glad that she's finally been seen and that she has a mate!  clap
« Last Edit: 30-Aug-10, 02:03:07 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 30-Aug-10, 11:37:25 AM »

About an hour later, while talking to a couple of cyclists, we noticed a 2nd falcon perched just below and to the right of the male. Going by size, it was a female, and it also had a full crop. It was facing us so we could not see her back.

Conclusion: the female is Quest.

Inquiring minds want to know...does she look like Mariah or Kaver or both? 
Any pictures of the overall scene so we can imagine we see 2 falcon shaped specs?

She was too far away to get a good look at her. She appeared to have a light breast like Mariah's, but not as white as Kaver's.

Google Maps Street View will give you the overall scene.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30-Aug-10, 11:43:03 AM »

Inquiring minds want to know...does she look like Mariah or Kaver or both? 
Any pictures of the overall scene so we can imagine we see 2 falcon shaped specs?

She was too far away to get a good look at her. She appeared to have a light breast like Mariah's, but not as white as Kaver's.

Google Maps Street View will give you the overall scene.

Oh well!  At least we know she's healthy & well & looks like she's settling down!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30-Aug-10, 01:10:11 PM »

good news
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30-Aug-10, 05:03:51 PM »

its that dang cloaking device she inherited from her Daddy. Makes her so hard to see. Good thing she has the transmitter. Her fella looks nice from what I could see.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30-Aug-10, 05:16:38 PM »

Pickering Power Plant

Pickering Nuclear Generating Station is a Canadian nuclear power station located on the north shore of Lake Ontario in Pickering, Ontario. The facility derives its name from the City (originally Township) of Pickering in which it is located.

Also co-located at the Pickering station is a single 1.8 MWe wind turbine named the OPG 7 commemorative turbine. In 1994 Pickering Unit 7 set a world record for continuous operation (894 days) without a shutdown

The facility was constructed in stages between 1966-1986 by the provincial Crown corporation, Ontario Hydro. In April 1999 Ontario Hydro was split into 5 component Crown corporations with Ontario Power Generation (OPG) taking over all electrical generating stations and which continues to operate the Pickering station.

The Pickering station is one of the largest nuclear facilities in the world and comprises 8 CANDU nuclear reactors located on the northern shore of Lake Ontario, having a total output of 4124 MW (capacity net) and 4336 MW (gross net) when all units are online. Pickering is only surpassed in Canada by the Bruce Nuclear Generating Station, which while also having 8 reactors, has a greater output. The facility is connected to the North American power grid via numerous 230,000 and 500,000 volt transmission lines.

The facility is operated as two distinct stations, Pickering A (Units 1 to 4) and Pickering B (Units 5 to Cool. While primarily administrative in nature, the division is not wholly artificial, as there are some distinct differences in design between the two groups of stations. (Example: The Pickering A units employ moderator dump as a shutdown mechanism, a feature not found in Pickering B.) There are, however, a number of systems and structures in common between the two stations; the most notable of these is possibly the shared vacuum building, a negative pressure containment system

Partial shutdown

On December 31, 1997 the four Pickering A reactors were shut down by the federal regulator, the Atomic Energy Control Board, because of Ontario Hydro's failure to upgrade the emergency shutdown system at the station. [3] Ontario Hydro committed to restarting the units, but the restart project underwent long delays and large cost over-runs.

Premier Mike Harris asked former federal energy Minister Jake Epp to study and make recommendations on the problems with the Pickering restart. Mr. Epp acknowledged the large cost over-runs and delays attributing blame to bad management. The Epp Review estimated the cost of restarting the remaining reactors at $3 - 4 billion and supported the continuation of the project.

Upon election in 2003 the government of Dalton McGuinty was not immediately prepared to proceed with the restart of Pickering A. On December 16, 2003 the McGuinty government struck the Ontario Power Generation Review Committee to review the structure of Ontario Power Generation and the restart of the Pickering A reactors. The Committee included former federal finance Minister John Manley as chair as well as Peter Godsoe, a former CEO of Scotiabank, and Jake Epp.

On March 18 2004 the OPG Review Committee released its report, attributing the blame for cost over-runs to bad management. The report recommended proceeding with the restart Pickering “A” reactors 1, 2, and 3, sequentially. The report argued that the restart of units 2 and 3 would be contingent on whether “OPG will be able to succeed at the Unit 1 project.”[4]

The Sierra Club of Canada criticized the report for not attributing any blame to the problems of nuclear technology, noting that there were no energy or environmental experts appointed to the panel.[5]

Numerous changes in executive-level staff and project management strategy were undertaken for the follow-on project to refurbish Unit 1. The experience of refurbishing Pickering A Unit 1 was significantly different from Unit 4, with a much tighter adherence to schedule and budget. Unit 1 was returned to service in November 2005 providing 542 MW of generating capacity for Ontario's electricity system.

In August 2005, the OPG Board of Directors announced that Units 2 and 3 would not be refurbished due to specific technical and cost risks surrounding the material condition of these two units.

From what I read on another site, no food is allowed inside as it may become contaminated with radioactive dust particles. I hope Quest and her man move on!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30-Aug-10, 05:32:45 PM »

scared blue Me too! Go to greener pastures Quest!  YIKES!

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30-Aug-10, 05:44:14 PM »

that is all we need glow in the dark falcons. Not to thrilled with a wind turbine around either. Move on Quest my dear. Got to be better places than that.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30-Aug-10, 06:35:10 PM »

Here's an updated pic of the area Quest is in.

I can totally see why she would go there.

Yarak
Forum Bot
Bot
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 95

Keeping falcon fans connected

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30-Aug-10, 10:00:23 PM »

Playing a hunch, local Rochester Falconcam members "Shaky", Carrie, Carol and Kathy made an impromptu trip to Pickering, Ontario over the weekend to look for Quest.  Her transmitter data have been very consistent over the past several weeks and they were hoping to find her.
The team's good fortune was rewarded on Saturday when they...

Link:
http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=1324

This is an automated post.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30-Aug-10, 10:19:23 PM »

Here's a pic of the Tam O'Shatner Park, (the other place Quest was hanging out in). A better place for her.

Note to myself: Duh, it's not Shatner, (was thinking of William Shatner when I saw the name). Shanter, sorry. No wonder google said "did you mean Tam O'Shanter Park?"  silly
« Last Edit: 30-Aug-10, 11:10:42 PM by Donna » Logged

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 30-Aug-10, 10:48:32 PM »

Please note that Quest has been in the general area of Tam O'Shanter Park. The park itself is very small and has a limited view of the many tall buildings that she could choose to land on.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-Aug-10, 10:59:08 PM »

My theory is that the Tiercel has chosen this nest site and is attempting to entice a female.  In flies Quest.  We know that she moves around this area quite a bit from her transmitter readings, but returns to the power plant.

From what we witnessed on Saturday, Quest flew north around 5 pm, leaving the Tiercel to return to "his" spot inside the power plant.  According to Carrie and Shaky, she returned the next day.

After watching this behaviour and taking into account Quest's continued wandering ways (although she doesn't go too far), I believe that he is more attached to this location than she is.

But, I have no doubt that she has taken a liking to this handsome Tiercel.  wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-Aug-10, 11:04:02 PM »

My theory is that the Tiercel has chosen this nest site and is attempting to entice a female.  In flies Quest.  We know that she moves around this area quite a bit from her transmitter readings, but returns to the power plant.

From what we witnessed on Saturday, Quest flew north around 5 pm, leaving the Tiercel to return to "his" spot inside the power plant.  According to Carrie and Shaky, she returned the next day.

After watching this behaviour and taking into account Quest's continued wandering ways (although she doesn't go too far), I believe that he is more attached to this location than she is.

But, I have no doubt that she has taken a liking to this handsome Tiercel.  wub2

And here I thought she was a Tom Boy! She's a lady, she is.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30-Aug-10, 11:06:14 PM »

Before Carrie and Shaky arrived, Kathy O and I checked out Tam O'Shanter.  There are many tall buildings in the area, any of which would suit Quest as a resting spot or a place to hunt from.  There are lots and lots of pigeons available for a hungry Peregrine.

There is no easy spot to see all the buildings from.  We drove around trying to check out the roofs of as many of these buildings as we could.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: