THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 03:19:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macomb County peregrines  (Read 6290 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 31-Aug-10, 05:45:11 PM »

June 8, 2010 --- Peregrine falcons Packard, Harwell and Martha were officially welcomed to the county and tagged for identification on June 8, 2010 by Macomb County Board of Commissioners Chairman Paul Gieleghem and representatives from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

The names were chosen by Gieleghem to honor both Macomb County and Michigan’s culture and history. They give a nod to the Packard Motor Car Company, which based its Packard Proving Grounds in Shelby Township; the iconic “Voice of the Detroit Tigers” Ernie Harwell; and Martha Griffiths, the first woman chosen to serve as Michigan's lieutenant governor.

The falcons were weighed, checked for health issues and tagged for identification by DNR wildlife biologists, who will be able to track their age, origin and travels by the numbered tags.

The falcons were born May 12 to Hathor and Nick, who apparently find Macomb County a fine place to raise their young --- this is their third set of offspring since 2008.

UPDATE: Harwell and Martha go to "Rehab"

June 16, 2010 --- Harwell and Martha were found on the ground near the Macomb County Administration Building (across the street from their nest on the 11th floor of the County Building) this morning. They both appeared to be uninjured, and according to the DNR, they just didn't have the wing strength to be out there flying around on such a windy day! As a result, they were take by the DNR to a "rehab" facility in Detroit for about a week, where they will be checked and allowed to develop some strength in their wings under a controlled environment. They will then be returned to their nest and to parents, Hathor & Nick. Brother Packard is being monitored, and is still flying around the County building.

UPDATE: The Return of Harwell & Martha

June 29, 2010 --- Fresh from a stint in a "rehabilitation" program to get their wing strength up to par so they can contend with flying conditions, Harwell and Martha have been returned by the DNR to their nesting area in Macomb County. The pair was released atop the county's Administration Building on June 28 to be reunited with brother Packard and parents Hathor and Nick. For photos of the homecoming, click the 2010 Falcon Picture Gallery link at the left of this page, and scroll down.

How cute are they?

http://macombcountymi.gov/peregrine/2010_photos.htm  More pics here.

If I posted this before, I can't find it. Oh they are cute.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31-Aug-10, 09:08:51 PM »

They are waaay cute Donna! That Martha has quite the fierce look. scared blue   thanks2

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-Jun-12, 11:48:47 PM »

Macomb’s new baby falcon injured in fall

http://www.dailytribune.com/article/20120614/NEWS01/120619801/macomb-s-new-baby-falcon-injured-in-fall

One of Macomb County’s two baby Peregrine falcons is recuperating from various injuries after falling while trying to fly over the weekend, according to county and state officials.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-May-13, 07:49:11 AM »

http://www.freep.com/article/20130522/NEWS04/305220091/Falcon-chicks-in-Macomb-County

It's 2 boys, Wayne & Oakland for Macomb County.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-May-13, 10:56:21 AM »

thumbsup thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-Jun-14, 08:21:14 AM »

SAD NEWS
We received word last night that COMTEC, one of the four offspring hatched at the Macomb County Building in May had a flight collision across the street at the Administration Building. She broke her neck and was retrieved by Animal Control. They very considerately took photos of her band numbers and send them to us for identification. Thank you to all who assisted in her retrieval and reporting of the news. Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel named COMTEC in honor of Macomb County’s new communication center.

It never ends! Fly Free

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-Jun-14, 09:24:54 AM »

SAD NEWS
We received word last night that COMTEC, one of the four offspring hatched at the Macomb County Building in May had a flight collision across the street at the Administration Building. She broke her neck and was retrieved by Animal Control. They very considerately took photos of her band numbers and send them to us for identification. Thank you to all who assisted in her retrieval and reporting of the news. Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel named COMTEC in honor of Macomb County’s new communication center.

It never ends! Fly Free

This is Hathor, Beauty's sister, and Nick's daughter.  How sad, so many lost this year. Fly free, COMTEC sorrow

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-Jun-14, 05:31:46 PM »

Oh no, not another one!  crying

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-Jun-16, 06:12:09 PM »

Hathor, Beauty's sister and Nick had 5 eggs this yr with one hatch..sad news today.  crying

http://www.macombdaily.com/general-news/20160623/deceased-falcon-chick-may-be-macomb-countys-own

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-Jun-16, 06:21:00 PM »

Another freaking window and another broken neck!! When will it stop??? Never, I guess!!  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-Jun-16, 07:31:18 PM »

Heavy sigh...  Sad

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-Jun-16, 07:59:58 PM »

crying crying crying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: