THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 08:16:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 258283 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: 07-Jan-16, 03:56:58 PM »

Sad news.. sorrow

I am heartbroken to report that tHE Missus (HE) was struck and killed this morning at the amphibious base in Norfolk. Reese just called to tell me the horrible news. They think she was struck by a truck or car. That is all I know for now. Please say a prayer - say many many prayers for her and for Dad. Love and hugs to all! I will tell you more as I find out. I am beside myself as I know you are, too!

https://www.facebook.com/NorfolkBotanicalGardenEagleAlliance

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: 07-Jan-16, 04:00:18 PM »

I just saw this on Facebook too, Kris, and was going to share it.  So sad!   Sad

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: 07-Jan-16, 08:44:53 PM »

Follow-up post from FB:

The Garden of Eagles: "With a heavy heart it has been reported that banded 2009 Norfolk Botanical Garden (NBG) Eagle HE died January 6, 2016. She was one of three eaglets that were raised in 2009 by the NBG eagle pair, Mom and Dad Norfolk (HK and HH-"Azalea" were her siblings). Last season HE and 'Dad Norfolk' became a bonded pair and raised one eaglet. The three are featured in the month of January in the 2016 'Garden of Eagles' calendar (see pinned post). HE and her siblings were featured in the first 'Garden of Eagles' calendar (for the year 2010). May she fly free forever.

Source Reese F. Lukei, Jr: "Adult Female Bald Eagle "HE" banded April 22, 2009 at Norfolk Botanical Garden was found dead at the US Navy Little Creek Expeditionary Base on January 6, 2016. Only injury was to her head from some type of collision, likely a motor vehicle. Other details may be available later. HE bred last year at a nest in Norfolk VA with her father from Norfolk Botanical Garden and successfully raised one chick."

NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: 08-Jan-16, 05:14:46 PM »

They've sure had quite a time at that nest  Sad
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: 08-Jan-16, 10:39:38 PM »

They've sure had quite a time at that nest

Dad relocated the nest last year to a private property, adjacent to the Garden. It was a great place for them, no hassles from the government.. unfortunately, there's hazards. People there have seen Dad a couple times at the nest, since HE got killed, and he'll probably attract a new mate..after Mom, he had 4 females going after him!  The unfortunate thing is that Dad and HE were about a week from having their first egg, according to sources there. Very sad....

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: 16-Jan-16, 12:42:42 PM »

Very exciting day at the nest and elsewhere and I missed most of it! The early bird does indeed get the photos! I arrived a 7:15 a.m. and was already too late but thank you thank you thank you for our property owner AND Mike Inman who were there before me! YAY! The property owner found Dad and a friend in the nest tree and got some great photos before they took off after mating YAY!!!! The property owner went home and Mike followed the eagles and I stayed at the nest until Mike called to tell me where he had found them. I found Mike but of course the female had flown but Dad was still there!
Just to put this story in context, I was half-way back home this morning at 7:51 am so a lot happened in those 35 minutes! Mike will post some photos later of Dad and his new "chicky" as he calls her! LOL!!!
Here are the property owners photos from this morning - keep in mind it was dark and very cloudy as always! Eagle On! And YAY Dad!!!    heart

From FB

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: 01-Sep-17, 06:02:49 PM »

Some sad news.. Sad

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/current-patients/bald-eagle-17-2257

Hopefully HK will make a full recovery. 

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: 01-Sep-17, 06:41:40 PM »

Very sad to read that HK has been injured, and that the prognosis is guarded.  Sad I remember him and his siblings so well.

At least he is at WCV, where he will receive the best possible care. I hope the surgery will go well next week, and that this handsome eagle will make a full recovery.

Thank you for posting the news, Kris.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: 01-Sep-17, 07:57:25 PM »

crying Oh no, he was doing so well! Loved reading about him and the golf course! Such sad news!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: 01-Sep-17, 10:17:09 PM »

Very sad to read that HK has been injured, and that the prognosis is guarded.  Sad I remember him and his siblings so well.

At least he is at WCV, where he will receive the best possible care. I hope the surgery will go well next week, and that this handsome eagle will make a full recovery.

Bill & I toured the WCV a few years ago and it's a wonderful place with an incredible staff...he is in great hands.  HK's sister, HE, was Dad Norfolk's mate in 2015 but, unfortunately, she succumbed to injuries from a vehicle strike in Jan. 2016.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: 02-Sep-17, 12:29:54 AM »

Very sad to read that HK has been injured, and that the prognosis is guarded.  Sad I remember him and his siblings so well.

Bill & I toured the WCV a few years ago and it's a wonderful place with an incredible staff...he is in great hands.  HK's sister, HE, was Dad Norfolk's mate in 2015 but, unfortunately, she succumbed to injuries from a vehicle strike in Jan. 2016.

I haven't been there, Kris, but I would love to visit WCV. I know how good they are with eagles, and they have excellent avian veterinary surgeons. HK will have the best chance for recovery at WCV.

I remember reading about his sister at the time. It is so very sad that she was lost at such a young age.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 02-Sep-17, 06:18:38 PM »

HK update!

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/patient-updates/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk-update

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 02-Sep-17, 06:40:08 PM »

Didn't expect an update so soon! Thanks, Kris!

Things sounds somewhat better, and it seems that the WCV staff are trying to keep HK comfortable until he is ready for surgery on his leg. I see that the prognosis of "guarded" has been upgraded to "guarded to fair".
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: 04-Sep-17, 12:15:04 PM »

This morning's update on HK:

September 4, 2017

Bald Eagle HK remained bright and alert throughout the weekend, and ate on his own Saturday evening and Sunday! The leg bandage has remained clean and dry, and there is evidence of minor swelling of the injured leg and foot, which is to be expected.

Dr. Ernesto, the Center’s Hospital Director, has been reviewing the radiographs and planning Tuesday’s surgery. He’ll be applying an external fixation to the fractured metatarsus; while many avian fractures can be pinned with an intramedullary [IM] pin, the metatarsus can’t be repaired using that technique, as the hock or metatarsus-phalanx joint would be damaged. Instead, pins will be inserted through both sides of the eagle’s leg, both above and below the fracture. An external fixation pin will then be held in place by the pins in the eagle’s leg, which will offer stability and support during the healing period. Dr. Ernesto will decide on his final configuration of the fixation on Tuesday.

The update also has radiographs of HK's leg fracture.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/patient-updates/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk-update-0
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 04-Sep-17, 12:31:06 PM »

This morning's update on HK:

September 4, 2017

Bald Eagle HK remained bright and alert throughout the weekend, and ate on his own Saturday evening and Sunday! The leg bandage has remained clean and dry, and there is evidence of minor swelling of the injured leg and foot, which is to be expected.

Dr. Ernesto, the Center’s Hospital Director, has been reviewing the radiographs and planning Tuesday’s surgery. He’ll be applying an external fixation to the fractured metatarsus; while many avian fractures can be pinned with an intramedullary [IM] pin, the metatarsus can’t be repaired using that technique, as the hock or metatarsus-phalanx joint would be damaged. Instead, pins will be inserted through both sides of the eagle’s leg, both above and below the fracture. An external fixation pin will then be held in place by the pins in the eagle’s leg, which will offer stability and support during the healing period. Dr. Ernesto will decide on his final configuration of the fixation on Tuesday.

The update also has radiographs of HK's leg fracture.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/patient-updates/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk-update-0

Thanks, Alison!  Hoping surgery goes well!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: