THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 12:24:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 258326 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 05-Sep-17, 02:18:40 PM »

HK is now out of surgery:

September 5, 2017

On the morning of September 5, Dr. Ernesto and licensed veterinary technician Leigh-Ann took Bald Eagle HK to surgery. Critter Cam viewers were able to watch the events on cam!

Leigh-Ann anesthetized the eagle and both she and Dr. Ernesto prepared the surgical site – plucking feathers all along HK’s injured leg. The bird received pain medication prior to surgery, and a catheter was placed to deliver fluids during the surgery. After the bird was prepared, he was taken into the Center’s operating room for the procedure.

Dr. Ernesto placed five pins in HK’s leg, above and below the fracture site. After the pins were placed, two external stabilizing bars were attached to the pins on either side of the leg to offer support to the eagle as he heals. The bars were anchored in place with acrylic. Once the bars were firmly in place, each was wrapped with protective vet wrap. Dr. Ernesto was pleased with the surgery overall.

The entire fixation will stay in place for at least two weeks; then radiographs will be taken. If all is healing well, a “dynamic destabilization” will take place, which means that portions of the apparatus will be removed slowly. If all goes well, it will take about five weeks for HK’s leg to heal entirely. After the leg is fully healed, the bird will be moved to an outside enclosure and then will need to be re-conditioned in a large flight pen.

More photos with the update.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/current-patients/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk

I hope everything will go smoothly during recovery for this beautiful and special eagle.
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: 05-Sep-17, 02:38:55 PM »

mini-bird Here's hoping the surgical recovery goes perfectly. At least he survived the operation. It's early, I know, but it would be so wonderful if he were eventually be ready for release. Good luck to him!

Dot in PA
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 05-Sep-17, 06:16:35 PM »

Thanks for posting, Alison!  I just read this newest update on FB!

Amanda Nicholson, WCV: Hey all -- just a quick update -- Dr. Ernesto told me that HK is standing already on his new contraption! Yay! He's still a bit sleepy (probably will not eat tonight) but looking good.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 05-Sep-17, 08:49:07 PM »

Thanks for posting, Alison!  I just read this newest update on FB!

Amanda Nicholson, WCV: Hey all -- just a quick update -- Dr. Ernesto told me that HK is standing already on his new contraption! Yay! He's still a bit sleepy (probably will not eat tonight) but looking good.

Thanks, Kris! I just came to post the same short update which you posted!  After everything HK has been through today, it's remarkable that he is standing already. He is one strong eagle. I am so glad that he is receiving this excellent level of care.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 07-Sep-17, 12:49:04 PM »

Today's update on HK; there is some cause for concern.

September 7, 2017

The morning after Bald Eagle HK’s surgery, Dr. Ernesto noted that the eagle was able to bear weight on his injured right leg, indicating that the external fixator was able to offer support to the eagle; however, HK was not bearing weight on his left leg. When HK is quietly resting in his enclosure, he often lies down with his wings spread out for balance.

Additional radiographs, as well as a review of the initial radiographs, didn’t show any obvious left leg or spinal injuries. On Thursday, Dr. Ernesto performed another examination of the eagle; results suggest that there is likely nerve damage to the left leg. The eagle is reactive when the upper part of his leg is manipulated but is not reacting when Dr. Ernesto manipulates the lower part of the leg and the foot. It’s unknown if injury occurred when HK was struck by a vehicle, or is due to how the eagle has been compensating for the fractured leg.

The team is performing daily physical therapy on both of HK’s legs, and will continue to offer anti-inflammatories and pain meds.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/patient-updates/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk-update-2
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 07-Sep-17, 02:10:54 PM »

Today's update on HK; there is some cause for concern.

September 7, 2017

The morning after Bald Eagle HK’s surgery, Dr. Ernesto noted that the eagle was able to bear weight on his injured right leg, indicating that the external fixator was able to offer support to the eagle; however, HK was not bearing weight on his left leg. When HK is quietly resting in his enclosure, he often lies down with his wings spread out for balance.

Additional radiographs, as well as a review of the initial radiographs, didn’t show any obvious left leg or spinal injuries. On Thursday, Dr. Ernesto performed another examination of the eagle; results suggest that there is likely nerve damage to the left leg. The eagle is reactive when the upper part of his leg is manipulated but is not reacting when Dr. Ernesto manipulates the lower part of the leg and the foot. It’s unknown if injury occurred when HK was struck by a vehicle, or is due to how the eagle has been compensating for the fractured leg.

The team is performing daily physical therapy on both of HK’s legs, and will continue to offer anti-inflammatories and pain meds.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/patient-updates/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk-update-2

Oh dear..thanks for the update, Alison.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: 07-Sep-17, 10:13:42 PM »

Oh dear, that's a shame. Hopefully he can overcome this setback.  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 08-Sep-17, 12:46:35 PM »

This morning's update on HK.

This is not at all what I was hoping for. It is extremely worrying.  Sad I hope things will start to improve very soon for HK.

September 8, 2017

The veterinary team ran additional blood work on Bald Eagle HK; results indicated a high white blood cell count, which is concerning to Dr. Ernesto. On Friday, September 8, Dr. Ernesto grew even more concerned when he examined HK and found that the eagle’s right leg – the fractured leg – did not have appropriate blood flow. Dr. Ernesto removed one of the pins from the external fixation to help blood flow; he also scheduled a regimen of warm compresses to HK’s daily therapy, which also includes physical therapy and laser therapy. It’s likely that HK is spending too much time on his fractured leg due to the nerve damage in his left leg.

If HK stabilizes, Dr. Ernesto would like to explore additional diagnostic testing options to learn more about the nerve deficiency in HK’s left leg. Dr. Ernesto reached out to Virginia Tech to inquire about scheduling an EMG for HK. An EMG, or an electromyogram, measures muscle response as the nerves cells (motor neurons) are stimulated.  An EMG should offer better information about HK's injury, including whether or not the team can expect HK's nerve damage to slowly heal, or if the nerve damage is permanent. Before scheduling an appointment for an EMG, the veterinary team needs to see improvement to the blood flow in the eagle’s fractured leg.

The veterinary team carefully set up a sling for HK in his indoor enclosure; hopefully if the bird spends more time off of his feet, improvements will be seen. Throughout all of the traumatic injuries and treatments, HK is still eating on his own, which is encouraging. The staff will monitor the eagle closely during the next two days.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/patient-updates/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk-update-3
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 08-Sep-17, 01:43:22 PM »

This morning's update on HK.

This is not at all what I was hoping for. It is extremely worrying.  Sad I hope things will start to improve very soon for HK.

September 8, 2017

The veterinary team ran additional blood work on Bald Eagle HK; results indicated a high white blood cell count, which is concerning to Dr. Ernesto. On Friday, September 8, Dr. Ernesto grew even more concerned when he examined HK and found that the eagle’s right leg – the fractured leg – did not have appropriate blood flow. Dr. Ernesto removed one of the pins from the external fixation to help blood flow; he also scheduled a regimen of warm compresses to HK’s daily therapy, which also includes physical therapy and laser therapy. It’s likely that HK is spending too much time on his fractured leg due to the nerve damage in his left leg.

If HK stabilizes, Dr. Ernesto would like to explore additional diagnostic testing options to learn more about the nerve deficiency in HK’s left leg. Dr. Ernesto reached out to Virginia Tech to inquire about scheduling an EMG for HK. An EMG, or an electromyogram, measures muscle response as the nerves cells (motor neurons) are stimulated.  An EMG should offer better information about HK's injury, including whether or not the team can expect HK's nerve damage to slowly heal, or if the nerve damage is permanent. Before scheduling an appointment for an EMG, the veterinary team needs to see improvement to the blood flow in the eagle’s fractured leg.

The veterinary team carefully set up a sling for HK in his indoor enclosure; hopefully if the bird spends more time off of his feet, improvements will be seen. Throughout all of the traumatic injuries and treatments, HK is still eating on his own, which is encouraging. The staff will monitor the eagle closely during the next two days.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/patient-updates/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk-update-3

I had just read this on FB..doesn't sound very encouraging.

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 08-Sep-17, 05:53:20 PM »

no, it really doesn't sound good. I feel bad for him all trussed up like that.

Dot in PA
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 09-Sep-17, 08:11:39 PM »

Just checked for an update on HK, and this is devastating news.

September 9, 2017

On Saturday, September 9, the veterinary team noted that the blood flow to HK's fractured right leg was not making any improvements, despite warm compresses and salt bath soaks, physical therapy, and laser therapy. The use of the eagle's left leg was unchanged. After the extensive morning treatments, Dr. Ernesto decided to check on the eagle again in the evening, and if there was no improvement, he would need to make a difficult decision.

In the afternoon, no improvements were seen, but the team decided to attempt one more procedure -- a fasciotomy, to relieve the tension and pressure in the leg that had lost circulation. Sadly, HK died under anesthesia.  Dr. Monica attempted CPR for several minutes, but could not revive HK.

The team is saddened that, despite an all-out effort of treatment, HK's injuries were too severe to overcome.  The veterinary team will perform a necropsy, to see what else they can learn about HK's injuries.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/current-patients/bald-eagle-17-2257-hk

I really thought HK was going to make it and, in time, return to the wild. The loss of this young, beautiful and brave eagle is a particularly hard one to take.  crying crying
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: 09-Sep-17, 08:19:20 PM »

Just read that and was coming over to post.  Such sad news but I kind of expected it, seeing as the news yesterday wasn't encouraging. Fly free, HK.  sorrow

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 09-Sep-17, 08:32:10 PM »

crying wow kleenex sorrow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 09-Sep-17, 09:23:30 PM »

Sad   kleenex so very sorry to read this news.

Dot in PA
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 10-Sep-17, 08:48:47 AM »

Very sad  crying

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: