THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 09:38:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 256657 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 29-Mar-11, 07:05:30 PM »

It's feeding time for the eaglets!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 31-Mar-11, 07:43:22 AM »

Momma's searching the nest for scraps. Dads probably out fishing! steff

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 31-Mar-11, 07:58:16 AM »

OH MY, they had Duck!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHJsfOMlXoo#

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 31-Mar-11, 08:06:48 AM »

OH MY, they had Duck!!!!

There's been a couple of ducks served at Blackwater this year too...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 31-Mar-11, 08:09:54 AM »

2thumbsup  It's alot of hard work plucking feathers!  gum

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21-Apr-11, 03:12:33 PM »

The three bald eagle nestlings at Norfolk Botanical Garden received identification bands today April 21, 2011 from Dr. Bryan Watts, Libby Mojica and Reese Lukei from The Center for Conservation Biology at The College of William and Mary. The event was broadcast live over the WVEC webcam. A second camera was provided by WVEC to give closeup views of the banding process. Stephen Living, Watchable Wildlife Biologist with the Virginia Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries, provided on line narrative explaining what was happening. Nuckols Tree Care volunteered their services and Julian carefully removed the three chicks from their nest one at a time, youngest first, and lowered them to the ground where Dr Watts removed them from the bag. Once all three were safely down, the eaglets were examined, measured, weighed and banded. The three chicks are healthy and developing as expected. They were then returned to their nest one at a time.

The tree NBG eaglets are now identified as follows

Purple band NV – #0679-012393 – youngest chick – male – weighed 2633 grams = 5.81 lbs

Purple band NX – #0679-01294 – middle chick – female – weighed 3100 grams = 6.84 lbs

Purple band NZ – #0679-01295 – oldest chick – female – weighed 3405 grams = 7.52 lbs

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21-Apr-11, 03:47:52 PM »

Yay, 2 girls and a boy!! Thanks.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 21-Apr-11, 03:56:32 PM »

From the NBG eagle forum by ShutterbugBob

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 21-Apr-11, 04:05:36 PM »

Great portrait. Thanks

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 21-Apr-11, 04:08:59 PM »

From the NBG eagle forum by ShutterbugBob

Love the pic!  Thanks, Ei!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21-Apr-11, 04:29:09 PM »

eagle2 eagle2 eagle2 Just look at those faces!  Grin Thanks Kris and Ei!  2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21-Apr-11, 05:16:43 PM »

what an outstandingly handsome family
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 26-Apr-11, 05:45:27 PM »

Not sure what happened yet but momma Eagle has passed....looking for info..OMG!!

NORFOLK -- A plane landing at Norfolk International Airport struck and killed an eagle Tuesday morning, and it has been confirmed that it was one of the very popular eagles from the Norfolk Botanical Garden.

Tuesday afternoon, Stephen A. Living, a wildlife biologist with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries confirmed it is indeed one of the nesting pair from the Norfolk Botanical Garden.

These eagles were well known through the Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Cam provided by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF), Norfolk Botanical Garden and WVEC, and have been at NBG since 2001 and have been featured on the Eagle Cam on WVEC.com since 2006.

Eagle Cam watcher Linda Eszenyi drove from Northern Virginia in hopes of getting a personal glimpse of the pair and their eaglets.

β€œThey told me and I just had to go have a cry.  I was so hurt and disappointed, not for just me but for everybody that watches,” Eszenyi said.

Reese Lukei, a research associate with the Center for Conservation Biology (CCB), has monitored and blogged about these eagles for ten years.

β€œIt’s about like losing one of your kids,” Lukei described.

Moments before the confirmation, Living said "We are fairly certain it's the female from Norfolk Botanical Garden based on the location, the physical characteristics of the eagle and the fact that the female hasn't been seen on the nest since early this morning."

Biologists with the VDGIF, CCB, and the staff at NBG will continue to monitor the nest and are working to ensure the health of the eaglets.

DGIF management and other wildlife experts met Tuesday at the Botanical Garden to discuss the status of the eagle nest and whether the male can meet the needs of the eaglets.

β€œWe are going to be watching this nest very closely over the coming days to see if he is able to provide regular feeding for the chicks,” Lukei stated.

The adult male eagle has been seen in a nearby tree Tuesday afternoon but has not been seen at the nest.

"These eaglets are right on the edge of being able to feed themselves if something is brought to the nest, but we will be watching to see if the male helps them eat. If he doesn't, they will likely have to come out of the nest," said Lukei.

Lukei said there are cases of single adult eagles raising broods of young. He added that a decision will be made by Wednesday about what will be done with the three eaglets.

"They had a breakfast this morning, a big catfish, but with these temperatures we're having, if they are not fed eventually, they will become dehydrated," said Lukei.

Lukei said that if the eaglets are removed from the nest, they could be placed in a foster nest or relocated to a wildlife rehab center. A foster nest is a nest with eaglets of the same age. Lukei said this approch has been successful with other birds.

The final decision about the eaglets will be made by the DGIF, which has regulatory authority in Virginia.

The plane strike happened sometime between 8:30 and 8:50 a.m.  A US Airways regional jet coming from Philadelphia was preparing to land at 8:50 when the pilot reported the bird strike.

Shank says the eagle was reportedly feeding at Lake Whitehurst with another eagle when the strike was reported.

The plane landed safely and no one was hurt, said Shank.  He added that there was minor damage to the aircraft.

Shank told WVEC.com that this is the second eagle strike in several weeks and fourth in 10 years; the others occurring in 2005 and 2001.

Shank said the airport is working with the US Fish and Wildlife office to see if anything can be done to protect airline passengers and wildlife.

How awful for her and her mate, plus 3 babies. So sorry, so sad. She was a great mom!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 26-Apr-11, 06:07:57 PM »

The eaglets have not been fed this am. Waiting for dad to drop off food. If he does not, they will place the eaglets in other nests to be raised. What a horrible accident. I know it happens, still, it breaks my heart.  heart heart heart RIP Mom!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 26-Apr-11, 06:11:38 PM »

I'm speechless.  Thankfully the "babies" are almost full grown now...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: