THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 02:19:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 258718 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 07-Jun-11, 09:25:56 AM »

2thumbsup  Interesting video. Thanks Donna!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 07-Jun-11, 08:43:25 PM »

The 2 babies were moved back to their new digs today-NZ is still on cage rest.  There are a couple of videos posted  here of one flying to & from one of the new perches and taking a bath!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 07-Jun-11, 09:43:48 PM »

Most excellent Ei, thanks!

-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 14-Jun-11, 08:06:18 PM »

https://picasaweb.google.com/rhoda.gerig/NorfolkEagles?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGys5CX5t2KJg#5618124473988555938

Today was weigh-in day at WCV.  This is a video of Dr. Miranda catching one of the eaglets...quite an excellent catch all the way at the end of the clip!

And today's news...

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2011/06/nbg-eaglets-tuesday-june14/

NZ leg is healing and there's now a 4th eaglet in the flight pen!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 18-Jul-11, 02:55:30 PM »

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Release

MARK YOUR CALENDAR.  The release of the three Norfolk Botanical Garden Bald Eagles will take place on Wednesday, July 27 at 11:00 a.m.  The release will take place at Berkeley Plantation, a historic plantation on the James River below Richmond [and right next to Westover Plantation].

Please RSVP if you are planning on attending the eagle release so that we may get a rough estimate of how many people to expect.  Plan on arriving at Berkeley Plantation between 10:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. for the release.  Berkeley Plantation opens at 9:30 a.m.

Please visit the Berkeley Plantation website for directions.  Alternatively, use Google/MapQuest to obtain the best directions from your location to the Berkeley address:

12602 Harrison Landing Road
Charles City, Virginia 23030

(Time flies huh?)

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 21-Jul-11, 07:32:25 AM »

Watch Norfolk eaglets return to the wild online or in person

NORFOLK -- Three young eagles will be returned to the wild later this month and you can join wildlife officials to say goodbye and good luck.

The three were removed from their nest at Norfolk Botanical Garden in late April after their mother was killed by a plane landing at Norfolk International Airport.

They've been cared for at The Wildlife Center of Virginia in Waynesboro and people around the world have watched their progress on the WVEC.com Eaglecam.

"Today the three are healthy, can fly, and are ready to go back into the wild – free and on their own," said President Ed Clark.

The release will occur Wednesday, July 27 at 11:00 a.m. at historic Berkeley Plantation on the James River between Williamsburg and Richmond.

Officials say the plantation provides eagle-friendly habitat and is just across the river from the James River National Wildlife Refuge – 4,200 acres of protected land that hosts one of the largest Bald Eagle roosts on the East Coast.

The event is free and open to the public, but officials ask that your RSVP so they know how many people to expect.

"Based on the RSVPs we’ve received to date, we’re expecting folks from 24 states and Canada to be attending the eagle release," Center spokesman Randy Huwa told WVEC.com.

Officials stress you should be prepared for hot weather by dressing in light clothes, wear a hat, sunscreen and bring something to drink, like water.

One of the eaglets will be released just after 12 noon. That will be shown live on 13News @ Noon with reporter/anchor Joe Flanagan reporting live.

WVEC.com is planning to stream the release of all three eaglets beginning at 11:00 a.m.

Wildlife Center officials said one of the three young eagles will be fitted with a transmitter. "It will allow Va. Dept. of Game and Inland Fisheries eagle biologists, Wildlife Center staff, and visitors to the Wildlife Center’s website to track the eagle’s travels for up to two years," explained Huwa.

There's been no final decision on which eagle will be fitted, but Center staff expects it to be attached to one of the two females.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 21-Jul-11, 11:05:07 AM »

thumbsup  Cool!  Grin

-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 23-Jul-11, 03:30:20 PM »

Although they're going where they need to be, I am going to miss them!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 23-Jul-11, 03:57:28 PM »

Although they're going where they need to be, I am going to miss them!

3 very "special" eagles. Wednesday, the BIG day for them.  Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 27-Jul-11, 06:54:40 AM »

Today at 11am, watch the release.

http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/microsite-content/eagle-cam.html

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 27-Jul-11, 06:55:49 AM »

The release will be streamed live on WVEC

http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/microsite-content/eagle-cam.html

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 27-Jul-11, 06:56:28 AM »

Beat me again!  handshake

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 27-Jul-11, 06:57:06 AM »

hysterical Same!!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 27-Jul-11, 07:03:49 AM »

This is the schedule...btw, there are 2 other eaglets being released.  They will go first since they have flown in the wild before, then the 3 NBG eaglets.  Ed Clark said there will probably be about 15 minutes between birds...

A note about today’s broadcast:

8:00 a.m.:  The five young Bald Eagles that will be released tomorrow will be caught.  The catch-up crew (same as the weigh-in crew) will be starting with the three Norfolk birds and then will be catching the two eagles in the other flight pen.  As each bird is caught, it will be taken down to the hospital to be “bumpered” and placed into a transport crate.  The “bumpering” is something that’s done to keep the eagles’ wrist areas padded and protected during transport.  The two eagles, #1714 and #1235, will be banded.

9:00 a.m.: Feed from the Wildlife Center cam to WVEC will stop.

11:00 a.m.:  WVEC’s live streaming of the release will begin [same website address].  DGIF Biologist Steve Living will be narrating the release.   

WVEC’s moderated discussion will continue throughout the remainder of the week.

And please join us …

Thursday, July 28, 9:00 a.m.:  The Wildlife Center will begin streaming the Wildlife Center Animal Cam.  Please look for the “animal cam” link on the front page of the Wildlife Center’s website at that time.  A moderated discussion will also be launched at that point, though likely minimal discussion will take place on Thursday/Friday as the WVEC discussion wraps up.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 27-Jul-11, 08:21:55 AM »

Empty flight cage...all packed up and ready to go...

Ed Clark of WCV posted this yesterday...

...but this time tomorrow....life as they know it will be changed forever..... Life, as they should have known it, will begin.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: