THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 09:38:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 258747 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 05-Aug-11, 06:58:07 AM »

I remember that with Azalea.  Is NX the one who suffered a foot/leg injury and that's why she's behind?

No-that was NZ.  And NV was the one with high lead levels.  That's why they picked NX-she's the one that hadn't been handled much at all.  They think she's just one of those late bloomers.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 05-Aug-11, 01:28:04 PM »

It turns out she wasn't quite ready for release after all. 

I knew if I waited long enough the full answer from Ed Clark would show up on their chat...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source Ed Clark, WCV: First, NX is in great health. She is strong, fit, able to fly well, eating well, and everything else she needs to be at this age, from a physiological point of view. What became clear, only at the release, is that her behavior, which looked fine under the controlled circumstances of the flight pen, was a bit more juvenile under stress than we would have imagined, given her interaction with her siblings. When they approached her on the ground after her initial release, instead of responding with an adult "one step closer and I'll rip your face off" vocalization--the kind we got from NZ and NV--she gave a juvenile distress "cheaping" call. In and off itself, that would not have been a huge deal, but her response to the people was to hunker down and run, rather than fly off.... again, a juvenile reaction. It was a normal reaction, entirely, but a reaction of a bird who has not quite "flipped the switch", as Dr. Miranda puts it, to being a fully mature sub-adult. So, since there were so many people there, and we knew that someone would not be able to resist approaching her, we decided that it would be best to bring her back and give her a bit more time. Part of the benefit of having KS in the cage with her, is that it is giving her something with which to deal that makes her respond... Again, normal stuff, but pushing her a bit... That is allowing us to watch and monitor her reactions.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 05-Aug-11, 01:35:27 PM »

good news Thanks Ei!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 10-Aug-11, 01:22:29 PM »

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2011/08/new-enclosure-for-buddy/

Buddy's new enclosure specs!! Beautiful and Buddy will be so happy. And he will have his own WEBCAM!!!

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 10-Aug-11, 03:08:08 PM »

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2011/08/new-enclosure-for-buddy/

Buddy's new enclosure specs!! Beautiful and Buddy will be so happy. And he will have his own WEBCAM!!!
That will be greatbguitar

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 11-Aug-11, 10:20:37 PM »

A little birdie said dad eagle was seen flying with another eagle!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 29-Aug-11, 09:27:24 AM »

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/08/eagles-changed-life-virginia-wildlife-hospital NX gets released tomorrow for the second time. Hope she does ok this time.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 30-Aug-11, 11:07:54 AM »

Congowings was on the phone with Bobbie at the release site...

10:28
Congowings:
NX was just released -

10:32   
Congowings:
KS (NX room mate) was just released -She flew over the trees - and is now going across the water - 
KS is still flying over the water- so the tail feathers don't seem to be an issue.

10:39   
Congowings:
Dr. Dave has gone off to see where NX might have gone - it takes a while to hike over there - and see if they can see where she went. When she flew off she disappeared behind trees - 

10:44   
Congowings:
Okay - Dr. Dave and JrDeal found NX - she is sitting in a tree close to the water - just chilling out. No vocalizations - just getting her bearings. So all is good.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 30-Aug-11, 12:28:26 PM »

Update...

12:07

Congowings:
I have some more details concerning NX. Once released she flew off, but then u-turned and landed on the ground a distance away - and hid in some bushes. But when she saw Dr. Dave advancing she took off and gained altitude quickly - flying a bit over the water and the trees -  landing near the river bank. She then took off and flew up into one of trees - where she still remained when everyone left. She did make some vocalizations at one point - but they were adult vocalizations, not juvenile distress sounds. So, it sounds like she is doing well.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 30-Aug-11, 01:53:21 PM »

phew Thanks Ei!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 30-Aug-11, 04:04:09 PM »

Update...

12:07

Congowings:
I have some more details concerning NX. Once released she flew off, but then u-turned and landed on the ground a distance away - and hid in some bushes. But when she saw Dr. Dave advancing she took off and gained altitude quickly - flying a bit over the water and the trees -  landing near the river bank. She then took off and flew up into one of trees - where she still remained when everyone left. She did make some vocalizations at one point - but they were adult vocalizations, not juvenile distress sounds. So, it sounds like she is doing well.

I hope she does well. Thanks for the update!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 31-Aug-11, 09:20:04 AM »

http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2011/08/new-enclosure-for-buddy/ Buddy's new enclosure being built. Looks nice and he has a pool!! Move over Buddy, I'm moving in!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 31-Aug-11, 03:47:01 PM »

There was a report that NX was seen standing on the ground.  She later flew up into a tree.  While this is perfectly normal behavior for Bald Eagles, since they didn't immediately rush back to "rescue" her there have apparently been some negative to downright nasty comments & calls coming in to WCV.  So after Ed Clark posted a rousing "get a grip" post, he posted this...

"It is interesting to us that all of this is so captivating for people, and that some people don't really grasp that this is really a pretty ordinary story, by some measures. Adult animals with young in the nest or den die every day, but the tens of thousands, if not millions.... The only thing that makes this story very different is that these babies were not subjected to the cruel realities of nature. In that case, it is pretty certain that one or two of the three Rock Stars would not have survived to fledge. They were spared that harsh reality, for three or four months, but at some point they have to make it---or not make it--on their own. While hundreds of thousands watched this saga unfold, it is fundamentally the same situation facing one out of three of our patients each year, including eight young eagles, so far, in 2011. That's why, for us, this story is compelling but neither unique or unprecedented. It is just one of many hundreds of such stories we see each year. We have a broader context within which to keep this all in perspective."

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 31-Aug-11, 07:46:23 PM »

From the tracking NX page here

Where is she now?

August 31:  The Wildlife Center staff received data from NX’s transmitter today.  We are still learning this new system and will be experimenting with different ways to display maps and data on her whereabouts. 

We do know that since her release, NX has spent most of her time in a wooded area next to the James River, and she roosted in a tree overnight. She spent a short amount of time on the ground this morning, but otherwise has been perching in trees ranging in height from 10 to 28 meters.   At 8:22 a.m. she took a quick flight across a field, clocking in at 60 miles per hour at an altitude of 68 meters.  All in all, by examining the data, we think that NX is exploring the area around Berkeley Plantation.

The next “data dump” from the transmitter should occur on Friday — if she is within cell coverage at the appointed hour.   Please check back here for further updates.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 02-Sep-11, 05:18:09 PM »

http://www.norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/gardens-horticulture/all-gardens/eagle-tribute-plaza Eagle Tribute Plaza

http://www.norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/programs-events/calendar/events/581 Fall Festival & Eagle Tribute Plaza Dedication

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: