THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 11:16:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 256579 times)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 07-Oct-11, 11:31:21 AM »

Forgot to say...check out the great photos posted in the Photographers Nest thread there.  

I'm not posting direct links to the photos because there have been some photos stolen from there and they've asked that we not copy or post them elsewhere.  I cannot believe people can be that rotten to steal someone's hard work.

As a photographer's wife... Ei, they DO! And they see nothing wrong with it.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 07-Oct-11, 11:57:34 AM »

Forgot to say...check out the great photos posted in the Photographers Nest thread there.  

I'm not posting direct links to the photos because there have been some photos stolen from there and they've asked that we not copy or post them elsewhere.  I cannot believe people can be that rotten to steal someone's hard work.

As a photographer's wife... Ei, they DO! And they see nothing wrong with it.

What do you mean by stealing? Using the pic for their own purposes? I think I have done that! So when I post a pic from someone elses site, I STOLE IT???   surprise Shocked scared blue secret2 Like the Bat I posted earlier, was stolen? I was always confused about what to post and what not to. Where do we draw the line?  confused (I never stole a pic and said I took it!)

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 07-Oct-11, 12:13:52 PM »

What do you mean by stealing? Using the pic for their own purposes? I think I have done that! So when I post a pic from someone elses site, I STOLE IT???   surprise Shocked scared blue secret2 Like the Bat I posted earlier, was stolen? I was always confused about what to post and what not to. Where do we draw the line?  confused (I never stole a pic and said I took it!)

When cross posting a picture (like the bat one) you should always credit the photographer, if known, and the website where you found it, if not.  I usually try to post both.  Most photographers are OK with that as long as credit is given.

The problem the Norfolk photographers are having is people saving, sharing, printing and even selling the pictures as their own.  That's why they've started putting their names in huge letters across the photos and have asked us to view them on the Norfolk forum or the individual photographer's website.  

Technically you shouldn't even save someone's picture without their permission, but most people are OK with that if you are only using it for your own personal viewing pleasure.  But it can get to be a slippery slope.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 07-Oct-11, 12:26:21 PM »

What do you mean by stealing? Using the pic for their own purposes? I think I have done that! So when I post a pic from someone elses site, I STOLE IT???   surprise Shocked scared blue secret2 Like the Bat I posted earlier, was stolen? I was always confused about what to post and what not to. Where do we draw the line?  confused (I never stole a pic and said I took it!)

When cross posting a picture (like the bat one) you should always credit the photographer, if known, and the website where you found it, if not.  I usually try to post both.  Most photographers are OK with that as long as credit is given.

The problem the Norfolk photographers are having is people saving, sharing, printing and even selling the pictures as their own.  That's why they've started putting their names in huge letters across the photos and have asked us to view them on the Norfolk forum or the individual photographer's website.  

Technically you shouldn't even save someone's picture without their permission, but most people are OK with that if you are only using it for your own personal viewing pleasure.  But it can get to be a slippery slope.

Youch! I'll remember that! Thanks   dead-horse

nwfloridafalconfan
Juvie

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 07-Oct-11, 02:01:19 PM »

Youch! I'll remember that! Thanks   dead-horse

Lots of interesting and informative stuff on the web concerning copyright and copyright infringement.  For example:

http://webnet77.com/webstuff/copyright.html
http://copyright.gov/title17/
http://copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

I think the photos Donna uses in her posts qualify as being "...for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting..." and would fall under Fair Use Limitations (http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107).  I agree that non-owned photos used is this context should give credit to the owner.  And probably better to quote just a highlight of a copyrighted article, then link to the original post.     

While I respect Dumperskitty's decision not to provide direct links to copyrighted material, I don't think such links are legally or ethically prohibited. 

http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=Intellectual_Freedom_Issues&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=25306 

My 2 cents.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 07-Oct-11, 03:24:40 PM »

I think the photos Donna uses in her posts qualify as being "...for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting..." and would fall under Fair Use Limitations (http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107).  I agree that non-owned photos used is this context should give credit to the owner.  And probably better to quote just a highlight of a copyrighted article, then link to the original post.     

While I respect Dumperskitty's decision not to provide direct links to copyrighted material, I don't think such links are legally or ethically prohibited. 

My 2 cents.

Oh, I don't disagree.  I'm only speaking of the Norfolk eagle photographers and their posts on the Norfolk forum..."Photographer's Nest/NBG Eagle photographers post their photos here. Please do not copy/save or use any photos without permission of the photographer."

Where photos are posted in "public" I will continue to post thumbnails with proper credit when known.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 07-Oct-11, 03:28:22 PM »

OK, I'll be "Fair use"! Thanks NFF!

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: 08-Oct-11, 07:51:19 PM »

Interesting. I am facing this issue.  I didn't realize if I designated public in my files anyone could use them and make money off them.  That has changed.  But I now have a web site that kind of protects that.  If I post anyone can see them.  The files are small enough they would make terrible copies.  It is an issue as I move to retirement and have sold a few pictures.  My photog friends don't put up their good ones.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 15-Oct-11, 06:54:30 PM »

Today's unveiling of the Sculpture dedicated to momma eagle.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 15-Oct-11, 07:06:23 PM »

What a gorgeous tribute to her. 

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 16-Oct-11, 03:29:43 PM »

WOW that's awesome!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 18-Oct-11, 01:18:28 PM »

Chris has posted multiple videos of the dedication on the Norfolk Forum...

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 19-Oct-11, 08:07:34 AM »

The webcam at NBG has been turned on internally-WVEC will turn on the live feed if & when they're sure this is the nest they're going to use.  They captured evidence of new sticks & the new couple perched in the nest.  Reese Lukei has posted some pictures at the CCB blog...

Sticks & eagle in the dark

Mom Eagle sculpture dedication

The happy couple

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 19-Oct-11, 08:10:58 AM »

http://eagletrak.blogs.wm.edu/2011/10/16/azalea-returns-to-northumberland-county/ Azalea news!

Thanks Ei for the links!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 19-Oct-11, 03:06:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdls2awvTgc#

During the dedication, an eagle flies over!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: