THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 07:37:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 256607 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 27-Oct-11, 07:18:53 PM »

What a busy news day!   First Amanda at WCV posted this note...

"October 27:  NX’s last “check-in” was on October 11; her last reported location was on the Little Wicomico River, near Ophelia. Wildlife Center staff consulted with the VDGIF biologists who fitted NX with the transmitter to inquire about other Bald Eagles in Virginia with transmitters — they confirmed that the other eagles that have been outfitted with these “cell-phone” transmitters routinely go in and out of cell coverage areas — sometimes for weeks at a time.

Since one DGIF biologist is near Ophelia, she offered to go out to the last known coordinates of NX just to check out the area.

On October 26, she visited NX’s favorite hang-out.  Apparently the pine tree was fairly “white-washed”; the biologist also found a pile of fish bones (old and new) underneath it and a feather from a juvenile Bald Eagle — signs that someone had definitely been hanging out in the area!  When she first arrived, the biologist also flushed a juvenile eagle from a nearby tree, but she was unable to tell if the bird was wearing a transmitter.  

The Wildlife Center staff will continue to check NX’s transmitter data daily and will report when we next hear something.  In the meantime, nothing to do but to wait for NX to “phone home”. "

Then, just as she was typing into the chat to check the update, NX finally phoned home!

"October 27  12:37 p.m.:  After 16 days of not checking in … NX checked in!  It turns out that over the past two weeks, NX has been in the same general area of the Little Wicomico River.  She did venture off on another trip from Hanson’s Cove to Vir-Mar Beach.  This trip is very similar to the one she took at the beginning of October, when she was out of cell range for five days [see October 6 posting below].  After looking at the data on where NX was yesterday, we can conclude that she was not the juvenile eagle that the DGIF biologist flushed from the woods near NX’s  â€ťusual” spot."

Then there was a post on FB that Barbara Melton had gotten pictures of NX!  Upon review by CCB it was determined that it was actually her big sister Azalea from 2009!

from FB Album by Barbara Melton

And Camellia from 2010 has been hanging out at NBG for a few days now.  Phew!  I think that's all!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 27-Oct-11, 08:19:08 PM »

phew That is a lot for one day!! All good news though! NX, Azalea and Camillia. Dats alotta eagles!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 27-Oct-11, 08:53:35 PM »

phew That is a lot for one day!! All good news though! NX, Azalea and Camillia. Dats alotta eagles!

And there's more!  The new female was caught roosting in the nest tree!

CCB Blog

from NBG eaglecam

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 27-Oct-11, 09:22:27 PM »

CCB Blog

from NBG eaglecam

Dats alotta females in one day!! Great news though.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 27-Oct-11, 09:47:43 PM »

CCB Blog

from NBG eaglecam

bguitar 

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 02-Nov-11, 03:43:54 PM »

Another update from Monday...

CCB Blog

Both the adult eagles were in the nest by 7:10 this morning. The female left twice and returned without sticks then flew without returning. The male went out three times to get sticks then left at 8:10, likely until late this evening. Closeups of the male.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 07-Nov-11, 12:26:05 PM »

Eagles at Norfolk Botanical Garden
How old is the new female in 'Dad Norfolk's' life? According to Reese Lukei, "This morning (11/6) the female returned to the nest tree when there was good light and posed for the web cam. A few weeks ago Dr. Bryan Watts and I conferred as to the age of the new NBG female and concluded that she is a first year breeding age bald eagle. What are the indicators? The very pale yellow, almost grey eye color. Head feathers still have a brown tinge behind both eyes, the cheek and below her beak."

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 10-Nov-11, 10:11:43 AM »

Working together, dad and new girl!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 10-Nov-11, 07:47:07 PM »

yippee Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 15-Nov-11, 04:16:26 PM »

http://youtu.be/VCUwfr6GpRU Buddy's new home...it's beautiful!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 15-Nov-11, 11:03:44 PM »

clap What a great place!  2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 16-Nov-11, 02:10:24 AM »

Buddy has a nice new home!  happy

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 17-Nov-11, 12:38:39 PM »

Rain has delayed the planned installation of cameras this morning. But it didn't stop DGIF biologist Steve Living from helping us scout locations for camera placement ... and a microphone.   clap heart

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 17-Nov-11, 04:14:46 PM »

Rain has delayed the planned installation of cameras this morning. But it didn't stop DGIF biologist Steve Living from helping us scout locations for camera placement ... and a microphone.   clap heart
2thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 22-Nov-11, 09:47:22 AM »

'Last evening Camellia was across from the Admin. building [at Norfolk Botanical Garden].' -- Reese Lukei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QSOfy_XOMXA#! sneak peak of the drive thru lights at Norfolk. Beautiful

A million bulbs!!  Shocked
« Last Edit: 22-Nov-11, 09:52:53 AM by Donna » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: