THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 10:08:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 258290 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 03-Oct-12, 08:22:33 PM »

And then this comes in from Audubon, who refused to take a stand on the Norfolk nest issue...

Dear Friend,

We know birds don't have a political party and that they don't vote.

We also know it's both disrespectful and simplistic to pigeonhole a commitment to conservation as progressive or conservative. Protecting birds, their habitats and our natural resources is just plain common sense.

Bird lovers come in all political flavors. But many politicians and their media messengers have polarized the debate, pitting everyday people against each other. It's causing gridlock that makes progress nearly impossible. And the clear losers are our children.

It's time to send a message: conservation is too important to be held hostage by partisan politics. Please join me in signing the American Eagle Compact.

Audubon has joined forces with ConservAmerica, a leading conservative pro-environment group, on a campaign based on common ground called "Because Conservation Doesn't Have a Party." Our hope is to deliver hundreds of thousands of signatures on the American Eagle Compact to the winners of November's elections. It's a set of principles with a simple message: conservation is not left, or right, or center—it's common sense.

Your signature will tell legislators that playing politics with nature and with our children's future isn't the right path forward. You can tell them that there's a better way to move ahead, a way to support smart conservation practices that we agree on in communities across America.

As President of Audubon, I take great pride in the political diversity of our bird-loving community. Sharing a commitment to conservation isn't progressive or conservative—it's American.

Please sign the American Eagle Compact today.

Thank you,
David Yarnold
President and CEO
National Audubon Society

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 03-Oct-12, 08:25:39 PM »

Save us from the hypocrites in this universe...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 03-Oct-12, 08:47:02 PM »

Moving forward, USDA representatives will monitor and report any eagle activity at the Garden and conduct appropriate dispersal techniques.

this is the sentence that bothers me the most

I have a knot in my stomach!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 03-Oct-12, 09:19:14 PM »

Heavy sigh...

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 04-Oct-12, 08:03:18 AM »

NORFOLK-- The eagle nests at Norfolk Botanical Garden were removed Thursday morning.
Federal, state and local wildlife officials said one complete nest and a partial nest had to be taken down because of the danger to wildlife and aircraft coming and going from nearby Norfolk International Airport.
The FAA cited concerns about four bald eagles being struck by aircraft in the last 10 years. The USDA identified bald eagles as "an extremely high" hazard risk to aircraft.
The city applied for state and federal permits to remove the nests before nesting season begins in the next few months. The permits came in this week.
A post on the City of Norfolk Facebook page said "While we all have enjoyed the eagle’s at Norfolk Botanical Garden, encouraging them to find a new home ultimately ensures the safety of the public, property and the eagles."
Norfolk Botanical Garden will delay its opening until approximately 9:00 a.m.
The removal didn't take long - perhaps 5 minutes - because the nests weren't as intricately-built as they expected.
City officials said Norfolk Botanical Garden, Norfolk International Airport and the city agreed to support the recommendation of the USDA Wildlife Services to remove the nests following months of discussion and study of the USDA’s Wildlife Hazard Assessment and Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries reports on the status and population of eagles in Virginia.

crying

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 04-Oct-12, 08:48:46 AM »

City officials said Norfolk Botanical Garden, Norfolk International Airport and the city agreed to support the recommendation of the USDA Wildlife Services to remove the nests following months of discussion and study of the USDA’s Wildlife Hazard Assessment and Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries reports on the status and population of eagles in Virginia.

A stinking crock of hooey.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 04-Oct-12, 08:54:59 AM »

A stinking crock of hooey.

Lies, lies, all lies!!!!!  thumbsdown nono

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 04-Oct-12, 09:44:51 AM »

Eagles at Norfolk Botanical Garden
A Sad Day
The removal of the nest is unpopular, sad, and unfortunate and for many of us at the Garden it is like a death in the family. However, birds and airplanes don’t mix. There has been considerable discussion about “liability”, “what if”, opportunities missed and solutions not undertaken. However, the most immediate concern is the protection of life – both human and eagle. The likelihood of...an eagle taking down a multi-engine airliner can be debated. But it is pretty much a given that an eagle will not survive a collision with an airliner.

And, isn’t the love of eagles, their well being and survival what we are all most committed to? If action is possible that will reduce the chances of even one eagle being killed by an aircraft it is action that should be taken. Nest removal is basically an action that is being undertaken to increase the odds that there will not be future eagle deaths attributed to aircraft at Norfolk International Airport. It is also increasing the odds that there will not be human loss of life that may occur at the same time.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: 04-Oct-12, 09:58:21 AM »

A Sad Day
And, isn’t the love of eagles, their well being and survival what we are all most committed to? If action is possible that will reduce the chances of even one eagle being killed by an aircraft it is action that should be taken. Nest removal is basically an action that is being undertaken to increase the odds that there will not be future eagle deaths attributed to aircraft at Norfolk International Airport. It is also increasing the odds that there will not be human loss of life that may occur at the same time.

Pfft!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 04-Oct-12, 10:08:42 AM »

A Sad Day

Pfft!

ditto

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: 04-Oct-12, 11:22:02 AM »

Yeah, we've seen here how wonderful nest removal is Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 04-Oct-12, 06:18:27 PM »

Yeah, we've seen here how wonderful nest removal is Sad
isn't that the truth.  Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 04-Oct-12, 11:23:48 PM »

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Alliance
Got back from the Garden about about 7 p.m. after spending all day there - arrived at 9:15 a.m. and saw our beautiful eagles a number of times. Yes, dear friends, the nest is down but it was never the sticks that made that our special tree. It is our memories of Mom and Dad and our three bobbleheads and Dad's courting season and #3! Dad and #3 are still soaring around their beautiful garden. I am exhausted, both emotionally and physically and will report more tomorrow. We will EAGLE ON for Dad! It's about them, not about us or a nest. More news tomorrow!!!

Sad Sad Sad crying crying crying Cry Cry Cry

David Lynch (fb) Had to share this.

I write with a heavy heart this morning. The Eagles nest at Norfolk Botanical Gardens has been removed, and the utter lack of common sense and compassion of government is now bare and exposed, for all to see...

When not caring for family, I spend all my free time as a raptor and wildlife preservation/protection advocate. I work with some of the most wonderful people on this earth, all across our great country, to help educate the public about raptors, the hazards they face, and how we can make a difference. This morning is one of those times when I stand back and wonder what, if any, difference I am making. A dear friend said to me yesterday “try as we might, we will never leave this earth a little better than how we found it ... but we must never give up the fight!” That statement is what is getting me through today, and will fill me with the needed desire to continue to advocate, educate, preserve, and protect. Even if the human species does not see the value of these sentiments, it is now my job to MAKE them understand.

The mission of Raptor Resource Project, one of the organizations I am so proud to donate my time to, is “to preserve and strengthen raptor populations, expand participation in raptor preservation, and help foster the next generation of preservationists”. I find the last past the most interesting.... In our time, right now, it has never been more important to educate the younger population, to arm them with the knowledge necessary to continue to advocate, to show them that the circle of life includes humans, and upsetting that circle can have tragic implications...

As we continue to take wildlife habitat from our animal brothers and sisters, please do not believe that they are the problem. There has to be a way for us to coexist. While we eradicate and destroy in our pursuit of the almighty dollar, there must be people to that stand up and point at the problems. We as humans claim superiority, and believe that our needs supersede all other beings needs. This is known as arrogance, and it is what happened when we poisoned eagles to near extinction with DDT. In 1972, DDT was finally banned because of “advocates and preservationists”. I will not allow history to repeat, not now, not on my watch and my time on this earth.

Please take today and think about how you can help. Whether it is a donation, advocating actions, or simply telling your children how important wildlife is to us and this planet, it will all make a huge difference...

My emotional/artistic side is also wide awake this morning. Goodbye ‘Dad’, may the Great Spirit guide you (and your new mate, DT) to a safer place, filled with peace, so you may accomplish your life purpose. I will think of you everyday.

~Dave~

« Last Edit: 04-Oct-12, 11:45:27 PM by Donna » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 04-Oct-12, 11:48:10 PM »

David Lynch
Norfolk, Virginia October 4, 2012.... A vivid picture of what a 1000 Pound plus eagle's nest looks like after the Norfolk City Council gets a hold of it......

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America..."

These words were written to help ensure that the People would be protected from rogue and corrupt government... I think there are many in Virginia who need to give this document another look...

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 05-Oct-12, 06:43:06 AM »

http://www.wvec.com/my-city/norfolk/Eagle-nests-coming-down-Thursday-172532661.html?can=n  Done deal!  Shocked

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: