THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:22:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 256569 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 23-Jan-13, 06:22:11 PM »

wish someone would go to this brainiacks house and tear out his foundation, and do it every time he tries to rebuild and see how he likes it   devil

Yeah what she said!!!  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: 25-Jan-13, 11:49:47 AM »

The Garden of Eagles
Many may know that 2009 eagle HK has been seen at Honeybee Golf Course in Virginia Beach with another eagle. And the other day Cary Lynch and Beverly Nettleton found Azalea (2009) in Chesapeake off Hillcrest. This morning Jim Deal and Joe Foreman found Azalea again off Hillcrest, but apparently she is keeping company with another eagle. Photographs will be posted later.    2thumbsup

clap

I hope so!

Azalea
« Last Edit: 25-Jan-13, 12:13:26 PM by Donna » Logged

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 25-Jan-13, 12:42:04 PM »

The Garden of Eagles
Many may know that 2009 eagle HK has been seen at Honeybee Golf Course in Virginia Beach with another eagle. And the other day Cary Lynch and Beverly Nettleton found Azalea (2009) in Chesapeake off Hillcrest. This morning Jim Deal and Joe Foreman found Azalea again off Hillcrest, but apparently she is keeping company with another eagle. Photographs will be posted later.    2thumbsup

clap

I hope so!

Azalea

Wonderful news! 

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 25-Jan-13, 01:27:44 PM »

The Garden of Eagles

clap

I hope so!

Azalea

Wonderful news! 

And great pics!  flash

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 25-Jan-13, 01:51:39 PM »

Another beautiful pic of Azalea

Since Azalea had been hanging around the Edinburgh Commons (Hillcrest Parkway) section of Chesapeake I decided to head down there early this morning. I got there just after sun rise to find a first year bird in a tree behind the Home Depot. As soon as I got out of the car, he was gone! A few minutes later in comes Azalea. Finally I got so see her. It has been 2 years since I last saw her over off Witchduck Point in Virginia Beach. She stayed for a few minutes before flying off to the north. She circled back and landed on the bank of the retention pond between Home Depot and Wendy's. Poor girl has to eat now and then, so she grabbed a fish and headed over to the on ramp for 168 North to eat. After finishing the fish, she headed over to the Wal-Mart parking lot and roosted in soon trees for a few minutes. Then west to roost along Hillcrest Parkway for a couple of minutes. She then flew off and was not seen for a few minutes, but she returned to a tree along Hillcrest Parkway where she was joined by an adult Bald Eagle. This bird has no bling (un-banded). There was no signs of aggression between these two birds. Maybe Azalea has a boyfriend! The male left and flew off over the lake and Azalea headed back to the Wal-Mart parking lot. She roosted in a couple of trees before heading back over to a tree behind Home Depot. She roosted in a tree there for a bit when in comes a 2 year old juvenile eagle. It too had no bling. Both the juvenile and Azalea left a couple of minutes headed north along 168. The juvenile was spotted in a tree along the on ramp for 168 North. It flew off rather quickly at which point I called it quits. The last 2 are a pair of Red Tail Hawks that hang around at Handbury and 168. Enjoy the photos.
by: James Deal

FB

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 25-Jan-13, 03:42:35 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 06-Feb-13, 08:04:42 PM »

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/02/looking-soaring-conclusion

Looking for a soaring conclusion!  Sad

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: 06-Feb-13, 08:10:12 PM »

And today there was a notice that the Norfolk Eagle forum will be shutting down.

Very little to say with no eagles to watch. Very sad. I've been a member there for years...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 06-Feb-13, 08:51:35 PM »

And today there was a notice that the Norfolk Eagle forum will be shutting down.

Very little to say with no eagles to watch. Very sad. I've been a member there for years...

I read that today. It is sad and just so wrong what they have done to these birds and their devoted followers. I hope that someday Dad Norfolk and his mate will be able to build a nest and he will have babies once again.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 09-Feb-13, 09:36:53 AM »

I just read that a 5th nest built by Dad Norfolk and his mate in NBG was removed by the USDA this AM.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 09-Feb-13, 10:27:07 AM »

I just read that a 5th nest built by Dad Norfolk and his mate in NBG was removed by the USDA this AM.

Thought they had to stop after 3?? Heartbreaking!! This is so RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 09-Feb-13, 12:08:55 PM »

The permit allowed the USDA to remove 3 nests-so far 2 were removed on Oct. 4th and 1 on Dec. 8th, Jan. 11th and Feb. 9th. I feel so bad for these Eagles having built these but also having paintballs shot at them and whatever other means they're using to chase them off!  Sad

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 09-Feb-13, 12:12:43 PM »

The permit allowed the USDA to remove 3 nests-so far 2 were removed on Oct. 4th and 1 on Dec. 8th, Jan. 11th and Feb. 9th. I feel so bad for these Eagles having built these but also having paintballs shot at them and whatever other means they're using to chase them off!  Sad

So disgusted!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 09-Feb-13, 09:08:16 PM »

Eagle on!  Roll Eyes

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 17-Feb-13, 08:37:39 AM »

VIRGINIA BEACH

Citizen scientists have done it again!

This time, a group of eagle watchers at Honey Bee Golf Club have learned that one of the bald eagles born and banded at Norfolk Botanical Garden is establishing nesting territory at the golf course.

How young eagles establish nesting territoryis not well known. But our dedicated citizen scientists who have camerasthat can pick up bird bands and their numbers are adding information to the puzzle.

Reese Lukei, a volunteer research associate with the Center for Conservation Biology in Williamsburg, keeps an eye on local eagles. He writes a blog, http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu, for the center about the eagles that were banded over the years in the garden's nests.

In a recent blog, Lukei wrote about "HK," one of the eagles that was banded at the garden four years ago. HK has been photographed often carrying sticks and even building a nest at Honey Bee.

HK's sister, Azalea, was the eagle equipped with a satellite transmitter at the garden. She has been tracked far and wide, but HK appears to be somewhat of a homebody, sticking around the golf course, Lukei wrote.

"With the assistance of several local eagle photographers, we know from their excellent photos that HK has stayed right around Honey Bee Golf Course for most of the year," he said.

That area of the North Landing River that flows through Honey Bee is full of food fish, and this time of year gizzard shad gather there to spawn. The abundance of food draws not only HK but severalother eagles, as well as herons, egrets and water birds of all kinds.

The area has become so well known that eagle watchers have a community Facebook page called Honey Beeagles, where they post their wonderful photos.

Lukei was excited to learn of HK's behaviorbecause not much is known about when and how a young eagle establishes territory. HK is 4 years old now and will be of breeding age next winter.

"It is not known why HK is sticking so close to Honey Bee, besides its being an excellent place to forage for fish," Lukei wrote. "HK is in the process of building a nest on the golf course."

All of this information is available thanks to our citizen scientists and Honey Beeagles photographers, like Cary Lynch, Beverly Nettleton, Jim Deal, Shelly Fowler, Bob Mislan and Pam Monahan. In his blog, Lukei thanked the photographers for "being so observant and providing photos for all to enjoy and learn from." See many of their photos on the Honey Beeagles Facebook page.

Though HK has been photographed with another eagle close by, it doesn't appear that he has a girlfriend.

Lukei watched HK take sticks to his nest for three days in a row but did not see a female. He came to the conclusion that HK was nest-building to establish his territory.

HK is not dumb! He must be thinking ahead to when he has a family and can settle down in an area where it will be easy for Dad to bring home the bacon.

HamptonRd.com

HK nest building

Banded female that was seen with HK   from fb  photo courtesy by James Deal
« Last Edit: 17-Feb-13, 08:47:21 AM by Donna » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: