THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 07:12:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 256562 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: 12-Apr-13, 11:20:28 AM »

Not really.  When reviewed they're within their rights as far as the permit and they are going to continue taking them down and E on A is going to continue fighting it.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/no-eagle-permit-violations-found-in-norfolk

I read the other day EOA has ammunition to use after thousands of $ spent, they found a glitch! Who knows but it was only suppose to be 3 nests, they've gone beyond that! This whole thing SUX!

NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: 12-Apr-13, 11:48:33 AM »

Yes it does Donna.  Even though Virginia took the eagles off one list they're still on the federal list for migratory birds.  Do we see them trying to eliminate geese and everything else that is around there?  Everything is about that pair of eagles.  Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: 12-Apr-13, 11:56:05 AM »

Yes it does Donna.  Even though Virginia took the eagles off one list they're still on the federal list for migratory birds.  Do we see them trying to eliminate geese and everything else that is around there?  Everything is about that pair of eagles.  Sad

Absolutely and it makes me sad/mad!!!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: 12-Apr-13, 02:57:51 PM »

The husband of a lifelong friend of mine from Rochester owns the company that built the cams for that nest in Norfolk.  They are just sick about the situation there. She says every time the eagles build a nest in the garden, officials destroy it with paintball guns. I'm so glad to see there's good news for at least one of the Norfolk eaglets.   

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: 12-Apr-13, 03:55:28 PM »

The husband of a lifelong friend of mine from Rochester owns the company that built the cams for that nest in Norfolk.  They are just sick about the situation there. She says every time the eagles build a nest in the garden, officials destroy it with paintball guns. I'm so glad to see there's good news for at least one of the Norfolk eaglets.   

They're shooting paint balls at the Eagles, have disassembled and destroyed 6 nests, that I know of, and have cut down all the branches of the trees that would support the nests so that they can't rebuild in the same spot.  It's horrible!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: 12-Apr-13, 04:00:27 PM »

They're shooting paint balls at the Eagles, have disassembled and destroyed 6 nests, that I know of, and have cut down all the branches of the trees that would support the nests so that they can't rebuild in the same spot.  It's horrible!

Guess they haven't heard the old saying...cut off your nose to spite your face...idiots...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: 12-Apr-13, 04:12:08 PM »

Wow, that is indeed horrible! 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
NoraH
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: 12-Apr-13, 08:19:10 PM »

Last I heard they had taken a seventh nest down.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: 12-Apr-13, 08:22:02 PM »

Did you ever get the feeling they'll keep at it until there aren't any trees left in the Garden? Just to prove they can...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: 13-Apr-13, 01:57:52 PM »

Did you ever get the feeling they'll keep at it until there aren't any trees left in the Garden? Just to prove they can...
that would not surprise me at all, stupid idiots  stupid
NoraH
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: 13-Apr-13, 03:13:19 PM »

They definitely don't plan on stopping this.  Other airports don't take this route.   Sad

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/feds-say-norfolk-should-continue-removing-botanical-gardens-eagle-nests-near-airport/2013/04/12/f77dcd30-a33c-11e2-bd52-614156372695_story.html
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: 13-Apr-13, 03:18:11 PM »

The blind leading the blind it seems.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: 14-Apr-13, 06:53:52 AM »

Rescued eagle has landed in Stafford

BY RUSTY DENNEN / THE FREE LANCE–STAR

A bald eagle that became something of an avian celebrity after its mother was struck by a plane in Norfolk has settled in Stafford County for now.

The Wildlife Center of Virginia—which rescued the female eagle and her two siblings—has been tracking the bird, dubbed NX, for nearly two years.

It’s only the second time the nationally recognized wildlife center in Waynesboro has tracked one of its rehabilitated raptors.

“We did this on a golden eagle a couple of years ago” in conjunction with the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, said Randy Huwa, the wildlife center’s executive vice president.

The center chose to track NX because of her unique history.

She’s “certainly had an unusual life,” said Huwa.

NX was one of three eaglets hatched in a nest at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens in April 2011. The trio had a wrenching start: Their mother was hit by a plane at a nearby airport, and they were sent to the Waynesboro center for care.

One of the three—wearing a band inscribed with the letters NX on one foot—was equipped with a GPS transmitter and released four months later at Berkeley Plantation on the James River below Richmond.

According to tracking data, NX slowly made her way from the Tidewater area to the Northern Neck, where she stayed for about 10 months.

There, she suffered another mishap. She was found along a road in Northumberland County, likely hit by a car.

The bird was captured, sent back to Waynesboro for rehabilitation, and released again in May 2012 at the Rappahannock River Valley National Wildlife Refuge near Warsaw.

After hanging around there for a while, NX turned north, following a meandering path along the Virginia shore of the Potomac River. She appears settled now in Widewater along the northeastern edge of Stafford.

Huwa says NX’s journey is different from other tracked eagles, because most of them stayed in the wild after they were banded and fitted with transmitters.

“The helpful part is insight about what happens to a rehabbed bird,” Huwa said.

“You can’t really make assumptions” that the travel behavior would be the same as the others.

“It’ll be interesting to see how she reacts, where does she go, in the context of [other] birds with transmitters.”

Huwa says there’s no way to predict whether the eagle will stay in Stafford or move on. The transmitter sends tracking data every 15 minutes via cellphone networks.

Huwa says the center is already gleaning valuable information from the tracking data.

“One of the things that’s impressed me is that both times she was released, she hung around the release site for a few weeks. That reinforces, for some of us, to take special care when we put a bird back in the wild. We need to have a good spot.”

The center typically chooses protected areas along rivers for its releases, such as Caledon State Park and Land’s End Wildlife Management Area in King George County and the Rappahannock River Valley refuge.

The lower Rappahannock and Potomac rivers have become eagle hot spots along the East Coast for nesting and feeding on spring runs of migratory fish.

“There’s lots of other eagles around, and they can learn from them,” Huwa said.

Fredricksburg.com

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: 14-Apr-13, 02:28:07 PM »

clap 2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: 23-Apr-13, 11:16:04 PM »

http://wtkr.com/2013/04/23/buddy-the-bald-eagle-to-make-his-shenandoah-valley-debut/

Buddy the Bald Eagle to make his Shenandoah Valley debut!

Official say Buddy is [arguably] the most famous Bald Eagle in the U.S/world/universe. From the time he was an egg in his nest at the Norfolk Botanical Garden – back in 2008    2thumbsup

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: