THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 01:17:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffalo Falcon News 2011  (Read 73273 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22-Feb-11, 09:55:27 AM »

I started a Buffalo Falcon News 2011 Topic, 2010 was locked.

Well, since this is all about the Buffalo Falcons, this seemed the appropriate spot for it.

Kathy O, Lisa McK and I decided to visit Buffalo, NY today and we're really glad we did.  At the end of the day, we saw 7 different Peregrine Falcons.  Check out my pics and report here.  No sign on needed.

Enjoy!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=8920589820105%3A1355393123&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee

Carol P.

clap Good for you guys-7 falcons-that's G R E A T!  foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-Feb-11, 11:19:40 AM »

With so many nest sites in Buffalo, they are going to need a lot of help on their Watches.  If you live in or near Buffalo, please consider helping out.  You can leave a message here or contact Sage.  Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.  Those young fledglings can get into so much trouble on those first flights!
Carol, maybe you and Joyce and Kathy should take  your wonderful pictures and slide shows to the media in Buffalo.  Put the pictures in the Buffalo News, on their website, on the news programs.  Maybe it just needs to be publicized a bit more in Buffalo.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-Feb-11, 06:01:34 PM »

Any U can positively ID from photos?

Hey Big Frank.  Sorry to say we were too far away in each case to get any kind of ID.  It was bitter cold, so we did most of our watching from inside a warm car.  Hopefully, when the weather gets a little warmer, we'll attempt to get ID's. 

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-Feb-11, 06:03:57 PM »

With so many nest sites in Buffalo, they are going to need a lot of help on their Watches.  If you live in or near Buffalo, please consider helping out.  You can leave a message here or contact Sage.  Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.  Those young fledglings can get into so much trouble on those first flights!
Carol, maybe you and Joyce and Kathy should take  your wonderful pictures and slide shows to the media in Buffalo.  Put the pictures in the Buffalo News, on their website, on the news programs.  Maybe it just needs to be publicized a bit more in Buffalo.

That's a great idea Margaret!

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-Feb-11, 06:26:33 PM »

I agree, word must get out. Some of the Rochester people need to know too, especially City Hall guards!  harhar

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-Feb-11, 10:24:00 PM »

I agree, word must get out. Some of the Rochester people need to know too, especially City Hall guards!  harhar
I agree with Donna.  Rochester needs more publicity too.  Who has a PR  background?   Who can taol to Marcotte at D and C?    The words needs to be spread, not only in Buffalo, but in our own city too. 
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-Feb-11, 07:18:00 AM »

What a fun report!  Since I've visted all those spots, it was like almost being there. I am so glad you finally spotted a pefa at the grain elevators.  Yes - that is the side I saw both on last year, except they were a little farther back on building.

The only ID I can confirm is BB, the female at UB.  I saw her purple USFW band last week.

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 26-Feb-11, 02:48:19 PM »

wave  Wow!  I am thrilled to see such fantastic pefa-watchers spending some time helping keep track of the Buffalo birds!  Especially given the cold temp, snow and wind!   
Rock on, Rochester!   bguitar

Until we return in early April, we'll be tracking eagles and ospreys in southwest florida.  Smiley

CT and UB are fairly easy, well, very easy!  Statler takes more effort having to work around those buildings.  Grand Island bridges and Niagara Gorge much more difficult, but luckily, there will be an intern for those three sites this year!   2thumbsup  And when you go to the grain elevators, if the two aren't right there, look on down the road on the cement elevators, just past the little harbor.  They are seen in both areas and flying over to Tifft as well.

And next time you visit Buffalo, there are two pefas along Delaware Ave between Gates Circle and North St, which desperately need spotting.  With all the trees and relatively narrow street, it's not easy to find them once the trees leaf out.  First photos of them this year get the prize!   Suggestions for where to place a nestbox will also be appreciated!  I'm thinking Millard~

Had fun all morning watching an Anhinga swimming around the lake outside our lanai, going underwater for quite a ways, surfacing, repeating.  A couple days ago I counted 18 Anhingas paddling around, going under, going the length of the lake, then they flew off.  Today also egrets and big turtles.   

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07-Mar-11, 07:27:22 PM »

Sage has a new Picasa Web Album Pefas 2011 UB.  Attached is a picture of the female BB at the MacKay Tower.

You can check here to see the album:  https://picasaweb.google.com/Sage836/Pefas2011UB

Joyce

« Last Edit: 07-Mar-11, 09:46:36 PM by Joyce » Logged
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18-Mar-11, 03:14:57 AM »

On Wednesday 3/16, I was in meetings from 9 to 5 (literally), followed by a company dinner.  With little time to spare, I took a detour to see the UB falcons.  For me, there is no better way to wind down, than to get a falcon fix. It made the dinner all that more pleasurable.

"BB" was on a NE ledge of the Mackay Tower - sitting and preening.  As I was getting ready to leave, I saw the tiercel on the corner of Clark Hall, which is the closest building to the Mackay Tower.  I took a few pictures, and then headed to my car.  As I approached the road, he took off, and I went back to see if he was on the tower.  He did a couple aerial displays for BB, then landed on top of the tower.  It was difficult to see him with the smoke coming from the tower.  BB moved to the nestbox perch.  In the below photo you can make out her ID -N/58.  

In one photo of the male, it looks like an all black band, but it is not absolutely clear. This would be consistent with "Yankee" from the Canadian falls side.  I suspect it is the same pair as last year.  

Here is the link to my slideshow. To view individual photos, click X at bottom of the slideshow to return to the album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/wnyfalconwatcher/WED31611UBPefas#slideshow/5585278246731237426

Enjoy!
Joyce
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18-Mar-11, 06:51:02 AM »

Good job Joyce, you have some really nice shots of the Falcons. Thanks!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18-Mar-11, 12:02:07 PM »

coolphotos flash thanx

-John Burroughs
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 27-Mar-11, 08:27:33 PM »

Thanks, Joyce!  A beautiful album!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29-Mar-11, 07:32:39 PM »

Buffalo has 1st egg!!!   clap

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29-Mar-11, 08:02:34 PM »

dance1

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: