THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:57:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Montreal Falcons  (Read 51850 times)
Nic1Pic
Juvie

Like Count: 43

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22-Apr-11, 07:53:18 PM »

Two babies in Netherland '' Beleef de Lente ''
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-Apr-11, 07:54:15 PM »

Not yet and no mention of eggs but she has just found them so I'm sure we'll get more information now that she knows where Polly and Algo are!!  This is so exciting, I was so worried about her when she vanished like that, honestly I figured they chased her off but was afraid they may have hurt her inadvertently especially after she took the baby.  I'm so glad she has not only survived but is thriving - obviously she's able to hunt well since she's made it this far!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-Apr-11, 07:56:42 PM »

Not yet and no mention of eggs but she has just found them so I'm sure we'll get more information now that she knows where Polly and Algo are!!  This is so exciting, I was so worried about her when she vanished like that, honestly I figured they chased her off but was afraid they may have hurt her inadvertently especially after she took the baby.  I'm so glad she has not only survived but is thriving - obviously she's able to hunt well since she's made it this far!

Oh thanks carly, good to hear about Polly "Pockets" as I called her. I hope she succeeds.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-Apr-11, 08:09:01 PM »

I can't find the thread but didn't Annette (?) Post about babies hatching in Brussels? Is this the same nest site?

No-they posted a video of the Brussels nest on the Montreal blog-sort of what we have to look forward to in a couple of weeks...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-Apr-11, 08:18:48 PM »

would partenering w/ your brother be a disaster, genetically speaking?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-Apr-11, 08:29:09 PM »

When this question came up when Archer was with Mariah, the majority opinion was the worst case would be infertile eggs and any fertile eggs laid would very likely be fine.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22-Apr-11, 08:30:57 PM »

In Winnepeg, the female Princess is now partnered with her son - Ivy, last year they raised 4 chicks successfully. Going back in that gene pool, there has been several instances of cross breeding and they must have good, strong genes as the line has not only continued but thrived.

I know I've read of one case where brother and sister nested and had no successful hatches however in other cases like dearly departed James in Virginia - he and his sister were partnered for years and produced alot of offspring.  
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 23-Apr-11, 12:12:03 AM »

The incest taboo is primarily cultural, at least on the scale of a generation or two, as far as I know. Inbred dogs that end up with weak hips and the like have been inbred a LOT. Of course if there is some very dominant weakness, it may be magnified by inbreeding, but in many very successful human cultures (that have no observed high rate of birth defects, etc), what we would call "first cousins" are the preferred choices of mate.
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23-Apr-11, 01:01:02 AM »

I can't find the thread but didn't Annette (?) Post about babies hatching in Brussels? Is this the same nest site?
Do you mean this thread?
http://www.peregrinefalcons.be/nieuws_detail.jsp?lang=en&news_id=72

Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23-Apr-11, 09:16:05 AM »

The incest taboo is primarily cultural, at least on the scale of a generation or two, as far as I know. Inbred dogs that end up with weak hips and the like have been inbred a LOT. Of course if there is some very dominant weakness, it may be magnified by inbreeding, but in many very successful human cultures (that have no observed high rate of birth defects, etc), what we would call "first cousins" are the preferred choices of mate.

Inbreeding of course doesn't *create* problems in itself.  Recessive genes are everywhere, and all it takes it two copies of one to show the trait.  Dominant ones are easier to track, but recessives are forever, and the trait can show up many generations down, when two unsuspecting carriers chance to match up.  In a species near the top of the food chain, individuals getting two bad copies get weeded out pretty quickly.
Carol
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23-Feb-12, 06:09:58 PM »

Algo et Polly, les rejetons de Spirit et Rogers, nés en 2009, ont maintenant un tout nouveau nichoir à l'échangeur Turcot. C'est la compagnie Services Environnementaux Faucons (SEF), en collaboration avec le Ministère des Ressources Naturelles et de la Faune et Transports Québec (MTQ) qui a procédé à la construction et à l'installation du nichoir. Ce dernier est sur la pile J-4, soit une pile au "nord" de la pile où leur premier nid était situé l'an passé. Après une tentative de nidification ratée en 2011, on espère que 2012 leur apportera des fauconneaux en santé. Merci à Marilou G. Skelling (SEF) pour la photo du nichoir.

Algo and Polly, the offspring of Spirit and Rogers, born in 2009, now have a brand new box at the Turcot interchange. This is the company Falcon Environmental Services (FES) in collaboration with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Wildlife and Transportation (MTQ) who carried out the construction and installation of the box. The latter is on the stack J-4, a battery "north" of the pile where their first nest was located last year. After a failed nesting attempt in 2011, it is hoped that 2012 will bring them healthy falcons. Thank you to Marilou G. Skellig (SEF) for the photo of the box.

Way to go Polly!! What a nice nest too! Shouldn't there be a guard in front?  Shocked

Posted by Eve Bélisle at 5:40 p.m.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23-Feb-12, 06:23:09 PM »

scared blue Wow is that just a drop off from the nest box? If so I pray the babies stay back!!!  gum

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23-Feb-12, 06:28:26 PM »

scared blue Wow is that just a drop off from the nest box? If so I pray the babies stay back!!!  gum

Amazing how we worry huh?

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23-Feb-12, 06:35:02 PM »

Not really- we're human, we have emotions and it's hard to stifle them!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23-Feb-12, 06:40:04 PM »

Not really- we're human, we have emotions and it's hard to stifle them!  heart

Yep!  What she said!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: