THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 03:20:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbus Falcons  (Read 48382 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 24-Mar-11, 10:17:08 PM »

No eggs yet but.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgu7qrSvlVA# SOON!!!

http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/falcons/live_ledge_video.aspx  Web cam

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24-Mar-11, 11:12:50 PM »

Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03-Apr-11, 10:02:56 AM »

The falcons in Columbus have their first egg!

« Last Edit: 11-Apr-11, 07:56:29 AM by Annette » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-Apr-11, 10:04:57 AM »

OH YAY, was just checking yesterday and they weren't sure when or if it would happen. Thanks

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-Apr-11, 07:34:57 AM »

Durant and her egg.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-Apr-11, 07:47:08 AM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-Apr-11, 06:15:18 PM »

Wednesday, April 06, 2011
More on Egg #2 Including Video Links
Here is a YouTube video of Durand laying the 2nd egg yesterday. Fast forward to 2:40 for what appears to be the actual moment. And, here is another version of the event saved by Pascal watching from The Netherlands.

Thanks to all of the fans out there watching and capturing these moments and sharing so everyone can review if they were not able to catch it live.
OK, so some may be wondering why did she lay the second egg in a different location? Actually, she did not lay #2 in a different spot. Both eggs were laid in the same scrape, on the right side of the box as we see it via the camera but the first egg has been moved to the left since it was first laid on Sunday. It is likely before the clutch is complete that she will gather the eggs together into the scrape of choice in which she will incubate. This is a first time nesting attempt for Durand thus she has no actual experience going through this process. However, instinct is very strong and dictates what they do. More times than not things work out the way they should.

I think it will be interesting to see in which part of the nestbox she decides to incubate. Right now she seems to favor that back right corner. If I recall correctly, each year since the late 1990s when we 1st had the camera showing the nestbox no peregrines have ever used that back corner of the box to incubate. One reason may be that in previous years when there has been more than one scrape, prior to the nesting season (usually in late February) I have smoothed out the gravel and made one prominent scrape in the best viewing spot in front of the camera. In the past the nesting falcons have always taken to the scrape I made. This year I did not smooth the gravel as I described. Is this the explanation of why the falcons are using a different spot in the nestbox? Who knows! Regardless it is something interesting to ponder while we wait.

Posted by Donna on the Columbus blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Jbf3y3lrQ#

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08-Apr-11, 11:51:48 AM »

Durant laid her third egg.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08-Apr-11, 12:20:30 PM »

Yay thanks!

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-Apr-11, 07:39:23 AM »

Durant laid her fourth egg.

Fourth egg
The 4th egg was laid approximately 6:50 p.m. Sunday, April 10th.
This egg was laid near egg #1 towards the left side of the box (as we are looking at the box). So now there are 2 eggs in each of 2 scrapes! As I write this at about 7:30 Sunday evening, it does not appear that Durand has started incubating yet - hopefully by morning she will gather all the eggs together and begin incubation. Or, we could be in for more waiting and wondering. Also, even though 4 eggs is the average clutch it is entirely possible that she could produce another egg! Anything could happen with this nest this year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVIp-_06II#
« Last Edit: 11-Apr-11, 07:57:31 AM by Annette » Logged

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-Apr-11, 09:43:03 AM »

Today Durant laid her fifth egg.

5 Eggs!

A 5th egg was laid this morning, April 13, just before 8 a.m. It was laid on the left side of the box, in the scrape that she seems to be most interested in incubating. Four eggs is the average clutch but more can be laid (obviously!) especially when we are dealing with a first time nesting situation. More proof that Durand's hormones are fluctuating! Let's just hope that some of the 3 eggs in that scrape are fertile and that she concentrates only on those eggs from here on out and is not distracted by the others.

The primary job of the male during the incubation phase is to provide food for Durand. He should also take over incubation duty when she leaves the nest to eat. Keep in mind this is likely his first time nesting as well, so it may take some time for him to realize what he is supposed to be doing. He has been in the nestbox with the eggs, but as far as I know he has not attempted any incubation duty yet.

« Last Edit: 13-Apr-11, 10:33:49 AM by Annette » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-Apr-11, 09:48:34 AM »

No incubating means more coming!? How they going to get those eggs all together?  surprise

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13-Apr-11, 09:56:10 AM »

Wow 5 and maybe a 6th! Oh help her!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14-Apr-11, 12:40:10 PM »

Durand finally rolled all the eggs together though her incubation is still spotty.

(can't open Donna Daniels' blog here at work for the whole story)

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14-Apr-11, 01:11:00 PM »

Well...Surprise!!! By last night Durand had managed to gather all of the eggs together herself! Here is a photo of the last egg a little closer to the main scrape last evening:

From what I have seen so far today she seems to be a little more focused on incubating! But 5 eggs would be a challenge for even an experienced female. Unfortunately, her technique is still lacking. She is not staying down tight on the eggs and when she is setting often one or more eggs is not covered. As I write this at about 11:20 she is in more of a brooding posture:
This intermittent incubation likely will not be enough for the eggs to develop--if they are even fertile to begin with. Because of her young age and the presumed young age of the male, it is possible that the eggs are infertile. I know I am sounding like a broken record here, but it will come down to watching and waiting to see how this situation develops! We should all be prepared for anything!
If it weren't enough dealing with eggs in different scrapes and irregular incubation techniques, yesterday there was another situation to deal with: A juvenile falcon was in the area and at least twice landed on the nest ledge only to be run off by Durand! These birds certainly don't "need" another distraction, but again-this is "real life" for a peregrine falcon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp64sWBxlpU#  video of intruder, a juvie.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: