THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 08:01:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose Peregrines  (Read 83397 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 28-Feb-16, 03:46:56 PM »

This morning:

Three beautiful eggs!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 28-Feb-16, 06:05:36 PM »

heart Oh, I love when they feed their mates  heart

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 03-Apr-16, 01:27:33 PM »

Hatching is under way at San Jose!

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 03-Apr-16, 03:47:52 PM »

First glimpse of the chick, just to the right of the egg:

The first North American chick of the year:

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 04-Apr-16, 05:40:09 PM »

Two little fluffballs now!

Then Mom was back in a flurry of feet and feathers to cover the chicks again.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 04-Apr-16, 06:50:22 PM »

Hi Alison! Just wanted to say thank you for all the updates you do! I, for one, appreciate it very much!  clap wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 04-Apr-16, 07:03:37 PM »

Hi Alison! Just wanted to say thank you for all the updates you do! I, for one, appreciate it very much!  clap wave

I agree  thumbsup
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 07-Apr-16, 10:31:39 AM »

Thank you so much, MAK!
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 07-Apr-16, 10:32:16 AM »

I agree  thumbsup

Thanks, Carly!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 28-Apr-16, 04:50:16 PM »

Banding Day 2016 (Video posted on BCAW)

https://vimeo.com/164517133

Falconatic1
Eyas

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 28-May-16, 10:12:20 AM »

Hi everyone. I bring an update on the San Jose peregrine family. This was our tenth year with our original falcon matriarch Clara, and her fifth with her mate Fernando El Cohete (Fernando The Rocket) on the San Jose City Hall building. We completed our longest fledge watch yet on May 22.

On May 11 our intrepid leaders Jody, John and Alicia set up a canopy on the open 7th floor top of the parking garage on an adjacent street with a view upward to the ledge containing the nest box. They were there at 6 am every morning for 11-1/2 days to equip the watchers with walkie talkies and send them to their observation posts around the City Hall bulding. We have several dedicated volunteer fledge watchers who spent their entire days there.

The juvenile tiercel, Zephyr, fledged on May 13. He spent the night on top of the rotunda in the City Hall plaza, not the most falcon-friendly place. It is made of glass, with lots of connecting wires and pipe-like structures. That night a school prom was held in the rotunda with Zephyr looking on.

The next morning Zephyr made a couple of short flights, one into a tree where he was harassed by some crows, and on another short flight he bumped a window and went to ground. The watchers had seen all this, and John came to his rescue. Glenn Stewart, our biologist of the U.C. Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group, was called and drove to San Jose. He examined Zephyr, who had a bump on his head and decided he would take him back to Santa Cruz for a little rehab. Zephyr had the bump iced down, was fed quail, and kept quiet for a couple of days and then was returned to the roof of City Hall in fine fettle.

In the meantime on the 14th while all this was happening I drove from my home in Reno to pick up my sister Jerrie in Antioch, then south to San Jose on the 15th where we checked in to stay in a private home through Air BnB. This is about 250 miles Reno to San Jose. The morning of the 16th we reported for fledge watch duty, and were able to see Zephyr pop back up on the edge of the City Hall roof that morning when Glenn released him. He had no further mishaps with his flights, thank goodness!

The falcon female fledgling Haley fledged on the 17th. Over the next few days she seemed to make a short flight, then sit for many hours in one place before taking her next one. Every morning on arrival the watchers had to relocate the fledglings in their new spots. Clara and Fernando were always close by, usually zooming in to fly near their chick when one would take flight. They also continued to bring them prey wherever they were, sometimes still doing the bite-by-bite feeding, sometimes dropping the prey and skedaddling out of there!

On the 19th Jerrie and I had to check out and return to our homes, but with light hearts, as we knew the fledglings were successful.

Fledge watch officially ended on the 22nd when the watchers declared both fledglings were flying well enough, able to gain altitude, and stick their landings.

These falcons have their own Facebook page where you can follow the action day by day, and see lots of photos of all the areas mentioned, and the falcons too, of course.

https://www.facebook.com/SanJoseCityHallFalcons

The local falcon fans there continue to report what they are witnessing as the fledglings take their flights and learn from their parents how to be adult birds.

I'm hoping you all experience the same successes as you prepare for your fledge watch in Rochester and will be closely following all of the action on the forum!

Debbie Z
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 28-May-16, 01:33:12 PM »

Great job on the fledge watch!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 28-May-16, 02:09:04 PM »

clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 28-May-16, 02:13:52 PM »

Good news from a falcon friend on the ground - Craig just called Jody from downtown. He just witnessed a mid-air food transfer from Clara to Haley !!
Haley took her prey to the MLK Library, Zephyr following her - Clara is perched on the front corner, standing by. Haley eating her prey, Zephyr attempting to get close for a bite. Fernando came to land on the metal overhang on the next highest point on the building, he has a full crop. Flew & Craig said maybe to get another prey portion for Zephyr.

From FB

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 28-May-16, 05:20:55 PM »

Good news from a falcon friend on the ground - Craig just called Jody from downtown. He just witnessed a mid-air food transfer from Clara to Haley !!
Haley took her prey to the MLK Library, Zephyr following her - Clara is perched on the front corner, standing by. Haley eating her prey, Zephyr attempting to get close for a bite. Fernando came to land on the metal overhang on the next highest point on the building, he has a full crop. Flew & Craig said maybe to get another prey portion for Zephyr.

From FB

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: