THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 01:04:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose Peregrines  (Read 83400 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 20-Feb-15, 04:34:20 PM »

A sweet sight!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 20-Feb-15, 05:26:00 PM »

8 days earlier then last year!!  thumbsup

Falconatic1
Eyas

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 21-Feb-15, 10:24:54 AM »

Yep, Donna! Could be due to the continuing warm temps and lack of a real "winter" - I think the northeast got hit with it all!

We are now on "egg watch." #2 should come along sometime tomorrow morning (Feb. 22).

happy

Debbie
Falconatic1
Eyas

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 22-Feb-15, 11:02:23 AM »

Clara laid egg # 2 at 7:13 am Pacific time this morning! She and Fernando just did some e-chupping over the eggs in the nestbo. Then Clara left and Fernando is settling in on the eggs. He is a terrific Dad!

2thumbsup

Debbie
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 22-Feb-15, 11:41:46 AM »

star star

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 22-Feb-15, 12:44:07 PM »

The two eggs:

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 22-Feb-15, 04:55:50 PM »

Clara laid egg # 2 at 7:13 am Pacific time this morning! She and Fernando just did some e-chupping over the eggs in the nestbo. Then Clara left and Fernando is settling in on the eggs. He is a terrific Dad!

2thumbsup

Debbie

Is her former mate still around?

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 22-Feb-15, 05:04:22 PM »

Lovely eggs!!!  clap

Falconatic1
Eyas

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 22-Feb-15, 10:56:06 PM »

Kris, Clara's former mate, E.C. (Esteban Colbert) was seen several times last year hanging around the opposite side of the campus of San Jose State University, which is next to City Hall where the nest box is. However it is early in this season, and we don't hear from too many watchers yet. E.C. is a wild unbanded peregrine, as is Clara. Since he was displaced by Fernando as Clara's mate a couple of years ago, he sure could take off and find a new mate in a new territory. We are very fond of E.C., and will be interested to hear if he remains nearby. I will post here if anyone reports seeing him.

As a point of interest, Fernando is Clara's fourth mate in nine years. The first was Jose, who migrated away after the fledglings all dispersed the first season, and did not return. The second was Carlos, who also migrated and did not return following the second season.

Then E.C. showed up, and was with Clara for several seasons, and never left San Jose after nesting season. He fathered broods in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. After his and Clara's eggs were laid in 2012, Fernando arrived and battled it out with E.C. and chased him away. So that year Fernando was helping to incubate, feed and fledge E.C.'s babies! Fernando has also remained in the city of San Jose year round instead of migrating.

Our biologist expert reminds us that Clara is ten years old now. Wild peregrines generally are fertile and reproduce until they are about 16, so we have years to go!

Debbie
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 22-Feb-15, 11:39:51 PM »

Kris, Clara's former mate, E.C. (Esteban Colbert) was seen several times last year hanging around the opposite side of the campus of San Jose State University, which is next to City Hall where the nest box is. However it is early in this season, and we don't hear from too many watchers yet. E.C. is a wild unbanded peregrine, as is Clara. Since he was displaced by Fernando as Clara's mate a couple of years ago, he sure could take off and find a new mate in a new territory. We are very fond of E.C., and will be interested to hear if he remains nearby. I will post here if anyone reports seeing him.

As a point of interest, Fernando is Clara's fourth mate in nine years. The first was Jose, who migrated away after the fledglings all dispersed the first season, and did not return. The second was Carlos, who also migrated and did not return following the second season.

Then E.C. showed up, and was with Clara for several seasons, and never left San Jose after nesting season. He fathered broods in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. After his and Clara's eggs were laid in 2012, Fernando arrived and battled it out with E.C. and chased him away. So that year Fernando was helping to incubate, feed and fledge E.C.'s babies! Fernando has also remained in the city of San Jose year round instead of migrating.

Our biologist expert reminds us that Clara is ten years old now. Wild peregrines generally are fertile and reproduce until they are about 16, so we have years to go!

Debbie

Yes, EC is the one I remember.  It was sad that year when EC lost to Fernando and he had to watch him raise his babies.  Fernando is a good mate for Clara and yay for the first eggs of the season!

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: 26-Feb-15, 02:57:49 PM »

There is some strong evidence, e.g. pictures from Eric, that E.C. may be taking up with the female who frequents the Campbell water tower.  When visiting San Jose, I always check out the tower which is close to where I stay.  I have photographed the Campbell peregrine for a couple of years.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 31-Mar-15, 10:55:18 AM »

At least one hatch this morning:

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 31-Mar-15, 11:31:03 AM »

Wow, San Jose is always way ahead of the rest!  Congrats to them!!!   clap

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: 31-Mar-15, 11:34:00 AM »

Three fluff balls.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 31-Mar-15, 12:02:39 PM »

Wow, San Jose is always way ahead of the rest!  Congrats to them!!!   clap

They have much nicer weather so they should be ahead of us Northerners!!  yes

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: