THE FORUM

18-Mar-24, 11:33:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: San Jose Peregrines  (Read 82454 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 02-Apr-17, 12:50:08 PM »

Wow, we are way behind on this site! 1st egg hatched today!!

http://youtu.be/qMtYwzWJV-s Video of the first eyas and Fernando with refused duck, OH MY another Duck Falcon!!!  scared blue surprise Shocked

Well they were called duck hawks way back. San Jose is always ahead of us since it's way warmer there.  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 02-Apr-17, 01:20:36 PM »

Wow, we are way behind on this site! 1st egg hatched today!!

http://youtu.be/qMtYwzWJV-s Video of the first eyas and Fernando with refused duck, OH MY another Duck Falcon!!!  scared blue surprise Shocked

Well they were called duck hawks way back. San Jose is always ahead of us since it's way warmer there.  wave

No, I don't mean behind in hatching, I meant in info!  They should be called "Pigeon" Hawks, rarely see them with a duck!!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 02-Apr-17, 02:30:25 PM »

I have been checking in on this site daily, and several times a day over the last few days, but not much was happening until this morning.

A little after 7 a.m., there was eggshell, but no view of a chick.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 02-Apr-17, 02:37:52 PM »

Thank you for the video, Donna. It would not play for me, but I will try again later.

Fernando sunbathing, Clara on the nest:

One precious little chick:

There is a pip visible in a second egg:

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 27-Apr-17, 09:51:02 AM »

No video but here is the sequence of events that the camop chose to share from the chick event yesterday: 12:38pm Clara had more prey, larger this time, appeared to be a pigeon, then 6 minutes into the feeding things got a bit serious & scary. 1 Chick began acting a bit odd. Stopped eating & began to wander aimlessly through the nest box, stumbling, then maneuvering on it's belly, kicking with feet & balancing on wings. At 12:52pm the Chick tumbled out of the box on accident, made it's way back in to the nest box at 12:53, went to the other side of the nest box, kicking the way across on belly. Clara having completed feeding the other 2 became more aware something was awry when the Chick in the corner began to have what appeared to be a seizure. Clara clearly concerned went to the Chick & stood by. The Chick turned & made it's way again, to the edge of the nest box, lost it's balance & tumbled out once again at 1pm.
Concerned & not understanding if the Chick was injured or sick. I called Glenn, together we watched events with the Chick unfold, while on the cellphones & watching the cam. Glenn said, while he is not a Vet, it appeared that this was possibly a toxin, causing some neurological issue. Possibly something the Chick ate. My question was, why aren't the other Chicks acting the same way ? Who knows, maybe this one got the brunt of what could have been... All we could do is watch & hope for the best.
Clara & Fernando close by the Chick through the ordeal, never fail to amaze me at what outstanding Falcon parents they are.
After 4 hours of sleeping on the runway just in front of the left side of the next box, at brief periods having stood, preened & pooped twice Wink The Chick was able to re-enter the nest box when Fernando delivered prey
5:08pm - a morsel, but this Chick had a few bites, appeared to be stable & on the mend. Wandering the nest box, flapping (with proper balance) & showing interest in prey remains (bones Wink I breathed a big sigh of relief
6:46pm Fernando delivered dinner, appeared to be a dove. Clara prepped, took to feed the Chicks & guess who was beak at the ready, getting their share & Clara paid extra special attention to ensure that Chick ate very well Smiley
All was well at bedtime !! Whatever happened appears to be over. Rest assured we will keep close eyes on that Chick & I personally can't wait until Friday morning !!! Then we will know who is what & who is who Smiley

From fb

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 27-Apr-17, 10:28:16 AM »

Poor little one and poor parents!  I'm glad all appears to be well again. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 27-Apr-17, 10:30:01 AM »

Pretty scary stuff!  Shocked

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 27-Apr-17, 03:37:41 PM »

Shocked  Glad it seems OK now but scary to watch while something odd is going on!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 29-Apr-17, 08:16:57 AM »

It’s two girls and a boy for San Jose City Hall’s resident peregrine falcons, Clara and Fernando El Cohete. But biologist Glenn Stewart warns this may be the last year people can watch the birds’ behavior online unless the aging webcam gets some serious help.

*This cam is big news, can't they fund raise??

“One of the females looks like it has some neurological issue,” Stewart said. “It’s having trouble staying upright. It’s a wait-and-see thing. Not every egg hatches, not every baby survives. That’s part of the deal.”

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/28/san-jose-city-hall-falcon-chicks-gender-revealed/full story

P.S. Unfortunately, there isn’t money in the budgets of UC-Santa Cruz or the city to upgrade the camera, which could cost about $25,000 for a full upgrade Really?????

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: 29-Apr-17, 08:28:55 AM »

P.S. Unfortunately, there isn’t money in the budgets of UC-Santa Cruz or the city to upgrade the camera, which could cost about $25,000 for a full upgrade Really?????

Oh, didn't I tell you that it will cost $25,000 to fix Main Camera?  

I prefer cash.

In unmarked bills.

No cops.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 29-Apr-17, 02:20:38 PM »

Oh, didn't I tell you that it will cost $25,000 to fix Main Camera?  

I prefer cash.

In unmarked bills.

No cops.

You got it!    Shhhhh!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 08-May-17, 04:48:41 PM »

Our chicks have names!!!
60/P shall be called Finn - "Hero" or "Warrior"

04/Z shall be called Nova - An astronomical event that causes the sudden appearance of a bright “new” star, that slowly fades from view over several weeks or many months. Our babies are our bright new stars & they slowly fade from view to find their own territories.

44/R shall be remembered as Faith

(Faith is the one from last week who was wobbling, she didn't make it) Fly Free Faith  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 08-May-17, 05:21:58 PM »

Great names!  clap

-John Burroughs
Falconatic1
Eyas

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 19-May-17, 10:03:35 AM »

Good morning everyone. I'm happy to report that the two San Jose juveniles have safely fledged!

The male, Finn, fledged Monday morning May 15, followed by his sister, Nova, the next morning. Boots on the ground report they are both flying well, with few mishaps. Their parents, Clara and Fernando, are sticking close by and providing their feedings. Once in a while one will return to the nestbox ledge, so they can be spotted on the webcam.

May all fledglings be as successful!

Debbie Z
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 19-May-17, 01:56:06 PM »

Good morning everyone. I'm happy to report that the two San Jose juveniles have safely fledged!

The male, Finn, fledged Monday morning May 15, followed by his sister, Nova, the next morning. Boots on the ground report they are both flying well, with few mishaps. Their parents, Clara and Fernando, are sticking close by and providing their feedings. Once in a while one will return to the nestbox ledge, so they can be spotted on the webcam.

May all fledglings be as successful!

Debbie Z

2thumbsup

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: