THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 04:50:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Bend Peregrine Cam Indiana  (Read 63498 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20-May-11, 09:15:11 AM »

Saw Zephyr come in with prey,(notice is foot is missing), then he left with prey, plucking it on nest but never brought it back for G to feed. Hmmm

I believe 2 have hatched.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20-May-11, 03:31:46 PM »

SOUTH BEND -- Two peregrine falcon eggs hatched this week atop County-City Building, and a third could be on its way.

The adult pair of falcons that live downtown had four eggs this year in their nesting box on the 14-story building.

Carol Riewe, a local naturalist and raptor rehabilitator who follows the birds, said one chick hatched Thursday morning and another hatched this morning.

A third egg was damaged, she said, and they're still waiting to see what happens with the fourth egg.

Zephyr, the adult male falcon, lost his right foot earlier this spring in an apparent trap injury. Riewe is concerned about whether he will be able to catch enough food to support Guinevere, the adult female, and two or three chicks.

"I'd be just as comfortable if a third chick doesn't hatch," Riewe said, "because it'd be one less mouth to feed under the circumstances."

She said raptors typically cache extra food in their nests for times when prey aren't available, but Zephyr and Guinevere don't appear to have any leftovers in their nesting box.

"Obviously," Riewe said, "things have been a little tough."

Watch live images of Zephyr, Guinevere and their chicks inside the nesting box at www.southbendin.gov/falcam.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28-May-11, 07:51:05 AM »

South Bend lost their little one. I knew last week when he wasn't getting any food and was just lying on his back when the others were fed. He was laying with his mouth open. Hard to watch.  heart

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30-May-11, 11:23:44 AM »

Zephyr looks over his chicks. He's doing well with 1 foot. Kids are hiding in the corner.
« Last Edit: 30-May-11, 11:29:18 AM by Donna » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30-May-11, 12:57:35 PM »

Good to hear Zephyr is able to provide for his family but how awful about the little one.  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13-Jun-11, 07:15:22 AM »

These 2 are getting big!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13-Jun-11, 08:56:24 PM »

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=14898806 video...another aggressive mom...you can hear her hit the hard hat.

The city of South Bend had to deal with a couple of big babies on Monday.  The Department of Natural Resources banded two peregrine falcon chicks.

The two female chicks live on top of the County-City building with their parents named Zephyr and Guinevere.

It was a challenge to just get the chicks out of the nest.  Guinevere will attack to protect her young."I'm used to it," said John Castrale with the DNR.  "It was at another building once [that] I was hit 40 times before I quit counting.  She only hit me about a half-dozen times today."

Castrale says the chicks should be out flying in about two weeks and leave the nest for good in six weeks to a month.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21-Jun-11, 07:47:50 AM »

This cam has been down for a while. Bandwidth overload! It's up and running again and they sure got big.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09-Jul-11, 08:50:25 PM »

SOUTH BEND -- One of the two peregrine falcon chicks that hatched this spring on the County-City Building is missing, according to a volunteer who tracks the birds.

The two chicks, both of which are females, left their nesting box atop the 14-story building about 10 days ago.

Volunteers have seen one of the chicks on the roofs of smaller downtown buildings. They have been unable to locate the other chick since it was seen Thursday morning on a ledge of American Trust Place at Michigan and Washington streets, said Carol Riewe, a local naturalist and raptor rehabilitator.

Riewe said the chicks, born in mid-May, still are dependent on their mother for food. Therefore, the missing chick is at risk of dehydration and starvation as long as it's separated.  Sad

Anyone who spots the bird should call South Bend Animal Care and Control at 574-235-9303, city police at 574-235-9636 or Riewe at 574-339-7913.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09-Jul-11, 08:57:33 PM »

SOUTH BEND -- One of the two peregrine falcon chicks that hatched this spring on the County-City Building is missing, according to a volunteer who tracks the birds.

The two chicks, both of which are females, left their nesting box atop the 14-story building about 10 days ago.

Volunteers have seen one of the chicks on the roofs of smaller downtown buildings. They have been unable to locate the other chick since it was seen Thursday morning on a ledge of American Trust Place at Michigan and Washington streets, said Carol Riewe, a local naturalist and raptor rehabilitator.

Riewe said the chicks, born in mid-May, still are dependent on their mother for food. Therefore, the missing
chick is at risk of dehydration and starvation as long as it's separated.    Sad

Anyone who spots the bird should call South Bend Animal Care and Control at 574-235-9303, city police at 574-235-9636 or Riewe at 574-339-7913.

Darn, it doesn't sound good for the young one.  Sad

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:19:12 PM »

The missing chick has been found. There was an article in the South Bend Tribune, which I can't access (apparently due to "inappropriate content" (?). I can only access this:

13 Jul 2011 – SOUTH BEND -- The peregrine falcon chick that went missing last week downtown ... said the chick was found Monday morning next to the AT&T ...

I'm glad the missing juvie has been found, and was returned to the nest box.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22-Jul-11, 09:42:14 PM »

The missing chick has been found. There was an article in the South Bend Tribune, which I can't access (apparently due to "inappropriate content" (?). I can only access this:

13 Jul 2011 – SOUTH BEND -- The peregrine falcon chick that went missing last week downtown ... said the chick was found Monday morning next to the AT&T ...

I'm glad the missing juvie has been found, and was returned to the nest box.

Me too Alison, I was worried about her. Not much news since.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22-Jul-11, 11:26:43 PM »

yes good news phew

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09-Aug-11, 02:42:27 PM »

Peregrine chick in S.B. needs rehab
     9:00 a.m. EDT, July 30, 2011
SOUTH BEND -- One of the two peregrine falcon chicks that hatched this spring on top of County-City Building is heading to Monroe, Mich., for rehabilitation.
Carol Riewe, a local naturalist and raptor rehabilitator, said the young falcon is unable to fly, but it has no signs of broken bones, dislocations or other injuries.

A master falconer in Monroe is volunteering to do the rehabilitation, Riewe said. The bird will be released if it's flight worthy, or placed with an educational group if it's not.

"Not only does she have to fly, she has to fly well enough to hunt," Riewe said. "Otherwise, there's no point in putting her out, because she'll starve."

The other chick that hatched in May is doing well and has been seen flying around downtown, Riewe said.

Copyright © 2011, South Bend Tribune

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09-Aug-11, 02:46:46 PM »

Oh, I was following them too. Thought all was well since I didn't hear in a while. Bummer for that baby! Thanks Kris.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: