THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 09:36:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Bend Peregrine Cam Indiana  (Read 63489 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09-Aug-11, 04:01:39 PM »

Oh, I was following them too. Thought all was well since I didn't hear in a while. Bummer for that baby! Thanks Kris.

I saw this last nite on the BCAW site.  Was sad to read it-hope it's OK to be released.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09-Aug-11, 04:36:36 PM »

She's in good, caring hands.  Heal little one and be free.   heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21-Nov-11, 07:17:48 PM »

Earlier this month, I found a note in the database about the juvie who was in rehab:

in rehab on 7/20/11; not releasable due to eye problem

Now an update has been posted on the Indy blog: since this little juvie is not releasable, I am glad that she seems to have found a good, safe home.

Long Live the Queen!

Every so often, I get to report on Indiana birds and I am always heartened when the story has a good outcome.  This is one such report.

This year, I know many of you followed the remarkable story of the South Bend falcons, Zephyr and Guinevere.  I’ll refresh your memory if you’ve forgotten (and totally empathize with on the forgetting part) what is so remarkable about this nest.  Zephyr, the resident male for several years at this box, has only one foot.  Yes, a bird that relies on its speed, eyesight and killer talons to survive, seemingly was at a distinct disadvantage in terms of his ability to survive.  And for goodness sakes, how in the world was he going to procreate (a delicate balancing act) and if successful, provide for his family?

Well, happily we know the middle of this story via the world wide web and cameras.  He and his mate ended up with two chicks who went on to fledge.

But is that the end?  Not in the falcon world!   Much as our own lives have ups and downs, so do our feathered friends.  And thanks to the banding of these young peregrines, we sometimes know their stories.   Here’s one I can share with you thanks to the Utopia Wildlife Rehabilitators  (and also courtesy of them, this wonderful picture – be sure to check out their website or like them on Facebook!):

â€ťMeet Queen Wilhelmina, our new education peregrine falcon. She’ll be joining Princess Arabella in our programs, so we have some real royalty here! She hails from South Bend, and was one of two babies fledged from the nest box downtown there. Unfortunately, right after fledging, the volunteer spotters watching the nestbox noticed that she kept getting in trouble when she flew. When she was checked out, it soon became apparent that she has severely limited vision. She knows her enclosure, but she would never survive on her own. We make a point of assuring that she is handed her food so she can find it at feeding time. She eats great, has a sweet personality, and will be great for programs.”  Kathy also notes “… she and Princess Arabella, our other peregrine, have made the “bird barn”, where they are housed separately, a much noisier place. They are both really vocal at feeding time!”

As we all can probably agree, the best thing would be for her to be free and fulfilling her destiny as a wild creature.  But for me this is the second best outcome.  It makes me so proud that volunteers cared enough to monitor the young fledglings and get QW (Queen Wilhelmina) the help she needed and for her to find such an excellent home.  Thank you Kathy and Carol and everyone who was involved in making this happen for her and for us who care so much about these birds.

I had the privilege of seeing Princess Arabella a couple of weeks ago at the Raptor Rendezvous and she is such a beauty and a show-off too!  I can’t wait to see the two of them together.   Never been around so much royalty in my life!   Dang, I’ll have to practice my curtsy!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

And another article:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utopia-Wildlife-Rehabilitators/120837934653133
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21-Nov-11, 07:40:11 PM »

Thanks so much Alison for the info on the juvie. Was wondering about the little one. She has a good home and is well cared for. I just loved watching them this season. Zephyr is awesome.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21-Nov-11, 07:51:55 PM »

Thanks so much Alison for the info on the juvie. Was wondering about the little one. She has a good home and is well cared for. I just loved watching them this season. Zephyr is awesome.

Zephyr certainly is awesome! He is the first tiercel I know of who has been able to raise chicks after having lost a foot (although Dundas from Hamilton came very close to doing so). He is absolutely the Father of the Year! I hope this courageous little tiercel is continuing to do well.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21-Nov-11, 10:03:25 PM »

clap What a tiercel Zephyr is and the queen and princess are gorgeous! Thank you Alison!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29-May-12, 07:23:28 PM »

Update on Zephyr and Guinevere:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/sbt-the-peregrines-banding-a-story-of-growth-and-loss-20120529,0,4248872.story

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29-May-12, 07:31:57 PM »

Too bad about the young male.  Sad

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29-May-12, 07:37:33 PM »

Too bad about the young male.  Sad

They lost another one that died not too long after hatching.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29-May-12, 07:48:40 PM »

I knew when I was watching last night, I only saw 1 out on the ledge. Not sure where the other female was but she wasn't in the cams view. So so sad for that little one that fell. They are too young to be out on that ledge, just little fluff balls.  Sad

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29-May-12, 09:28:43 PM »

Sad Sad Sad crying
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30-May-12, 07:56:51 AM »

Zephyr, the 1 taloned Tiercel, attacking the banders.

From BCAW Excellent pics posted by Kittenface.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30-May-12, 05:42:07 PM »

Zephyr, the 1 taloned Tiercel, attacking the banders.

From BCAW Excellent pics posted by Kittenface.

Zephyr is an exceptional tiercel!  star

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13-Jun-12, 05:01:34 PM »

Tragedy at South Bend, home of Zephyr, the one footed falcon. Sad

Fledging – it can be a liberating and joyful time for birds and humans who watch them but it can also be sobering and sad. And so it is in South Bend. I am sorry to report that two chicks have died – high winds in South Bend apparently responsible for blowing them off the roof. This is the home of the incredible one-footed Zephyr and his mate Guinevere. It takes a lot of time and energy for falcon parents to raise their young to the fledging stage, much less if one of them has a distinct disadvantage. It seems so unfair to me that this happened but then that is my human way of expressing anger and sadness at the situation. I know rationally that Mother Nature is at work there but I also know the connection I feel to the falcon world. I can’t put that connection into words but it is deep and it is personal – wish I could spit them out but I guess it is beyond words. We hope for the best for the remaining juvenile to fledge successfully and carry on the genes of two wonderful falcon parents.

I think they need a new nest box set up but wind is wind and it happens. So sad for them again this year.

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13-Jun-12, 09:30:06 PM »

crying The pictures of Zephyr have been astounding, so this is truly sad.  Poor babies.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: