THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 01:01:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three more Peregrine Falcons born on Mid-Hudson Bridge  (Read 4744 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 22-May-11, 07:36:43 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHzz14JPSrA#

HIGHLAND – The staff of the New York State Bridge Authority is now the proud family of three Peregrine Falcon chicks.

These are the 39th, 40th and 41st Peregrine Falcons fledged from the nesting box in the past 15 years at the Mid-Hudson Bridge. “We are fortunate that our facilities have been so successful in helping re-establish such a beautiful and important species,” said Bridge Authority Executive Director Joseph Ruggiero. Peregrine Falcons are listed as an endangered species.

The Bridge Authority hosts nesting boxes on all of its five Hudson River bridges. The boxes were installed in the late 1980s as part of an effort to re-establish the Peregrine in the Hudson Valley.

A webcam, that is refreshed every 10 minutes can give you a bird’s eye view of the Peregrines at http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/53052.html .

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24-May-11, 04:21:42 PM »

Record Newswatch May 24, 2011

From my local paper-the peregrines start at 4:02.  These guys are right in my backyard...I am determined to see them this year.  Just have to figure out where on the bridge the nest box is.  Might have better luck following a parent in with a meal...gonna try to get there this weekend.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-May-11, 07:36:24 PM »

An article today in the local paper, the Times Herald Record (hopefully you'll be able to read it without trouble-they've started charging for online access)

And a photo gallery of the banding.

The article says there are now 3 natural nests on the Shawangunk ridge.  I can see the ridge from my house, but the cliffs are on the other side.  I'll have to find a spot to just sit and watch.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-May-12, 02:44:51 PM »

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2012/May/11/Peregrines-11May12.htm

3 again this year.

HIGHLAND – For the 16th year in a row, the Mid-Hudson Bridge between Poughkeepsie and Highland is home to newly hatched Peregrine Falcons.

“It’s an annual tradition,” New York State Bridge Authority Executive Director Joseph Ruggiero said Friday.

These are the 42nd, 43rd and 44th Peregrine Falcons fledged from the nesting box on the bridge. There are nesting boxes on all five of the Authority’s Hudson River vehicle crossings, installed in the late 1980s as part of the effort to re-establish the Peregrine in the Hudson Valley. Those birds are listed as an endangered species.

The Authority partners with the state Department of Environmental Conservation to provide the public with live snapshots of the Peregrine nest. The webcam is at http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/53052.html. The live-shot is updated every 10 minutes.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-May-12, 02:56:01 PM »

http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/2012/May/11/Peregrines-11May12.htm

3 again this year.

HIGHLAND – For the 16th year in a row, the Mid-Hudson Bridge between Poughkeepsie and Highland is home to newly hatched Peregrine Falcons.

“It’s an annual tradition,” New York State Bridge Authority Executive Director Joseph Ruggiero said Friday.

These are the 42nd, 43rd and 44th Peregrine Falcons fledged from the nesting box on the bridge. There are nesting boxes on all five of the Authority’s Hudson River vehicle crossings, installed in the late 1980s as part of the effort to re-establish the Peregrine in the Hudson Valley. Those birds are listed as an endangered species.

The Authority partners with the state Department of Environmental Conservation to provide the public with live snapshots of the Peregrine nest. The webcam is at http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/53052.html. The live-shot is updated every 10 minutes.

One of the frustrations of my existence.  I live 30 minutes from this bridge. The only people who know where on the bridge this nest box is located are the DEC & the NYS Bridge Authority-and they're not talking. I just want to know which side of the river to look from.  I've looked from the walkway bridge that's parallel to the Mid Hudson-nothing.  There's a plaque that says they nest on the Mid Hudson-but no clue where.  I even had a friend with a boat look when they were under the bridge last summer.  Not a hint. No Audubon society around here either.

And the webcam is stuck. Again.

This is why I love Rochester.

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 12-May-12, 07:59:00 PM »

I think it is on the west side of the bridge.  I found out a few years ago, but forgot. I have been under that bridge several times on the Half Moon Ship Replica and I have pictures somewhere. I'm usually cooking in the galley when we go under. I'll check, though.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-May-12, 08:05:18 PM »

I think it is on the west side of the bridge.  I found out a few years ago, but forgot. I have been under that bridge several times on the Half Moon Ship Replica and I have pictures somewhere. I'm usually cooking in the galley when we go under. I'll check, though.
Thanks for checking. I asked the walkway help people and they looked at me like I had 10 heads.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: