THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:31:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great River Energy Falcon cam  (Read 16946 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 27-May-11, 06:26:11 AM »

http://www.greatriverenergy.com/aboutus/environmental/birdcam.html

Update:

Our new female falcon laid four eggs the week of May 11. This new batch of eggs is expected hatch around June 18 and the eyasses may be banded the week of July 4.
May 2011

Great River Energy’s Elk River Energy Recovery Station peregrine falcons experienced a sad and unfortunate beginning to the 2011 nesting season. The male and female falcons that have been with us for the past few years returned to the nesting box in early March. The pair successfully produced four eggs in mid-April.

On April 22 the female falcon disappeared from the nesting box. The male falcon attempted to incubate the eggs in the female’s absence but he too eventually left the box.

We are now happy to report that the same male falcon has returned to the nesting box and is courting another female falcon. Great River Energy staff have determined that this is a banded falcon named Dot. She hatched and was banded in June 2007 at Xcel Energy’s Blackdog Power Plant located in Burnsville, Minn.

Mary Ann M.
Small Clutch

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19-Jun-11, 08:36:40 AM »

New Falcon mother, Dot, has had her first hatch overnight, and more are on the way. She laid 4 eggs this spring.  Now I have babies to watch. 

And you can too!

Mary Ann
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-Jun-11, 08:38:51 AM »

Thanks Mary Ann!  And congratulations on your first post! clap

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-Jun-11, 08:48:48 AM »

How nice, some late bloomers!! Congrats Mary Ann.  clap Yes, keep posting!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 19-Jun-11, 09:21:21 AM »

Congrats, Mary Ann. And congrats to Great River after a rocky start.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Jun-11, 12:00:39 PM »

2 hatches!! Oh what nice view of them too!!

About the Birdcam

Great River Energy's Elk River Energy Recovery Station is a perfect site for a nesting box because it is located in a peregrine falcon migratory flyway. The site, beside the Mississippi River, is also a draw because the birds prefer to nest in high locations near water. In recent history, power plants have had the best peregrine production rates in the Midwest.

Birdcam news
Update:  Oh this is a new female! No wonder!

Our new female falcon laid four eggs the week of May 11. This new batch of eggs is expected hatch around June 18 and the eyasses may be banded the week of July 4.
May 2011

Great River Energy’s Elk River Energy Recovery Station peregrine falcons experienced a sad and unfortunate beginning to the 2011 nesting season. The male and female falcons that have been with us for the past few years returned to the nesting box in early March. The pair successfully produced four eggs in mid-April.

On April 22 the female falcon disappeared from the nesting box. The male falcon attempted to incubate the eggs in the female’s absence but he too eventually left the box. (Oh I don't like when this happens)

Mary Ann M.
Small Clutch

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-Jun-11, 12:10:38 PM »

All four babies have hatched and Mom is feeding them. They look wonderful. Does anyone know if there are any falcon watchers in Elk River?

Mary Ann thumbsup
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21-Jun-11, 12:46:48 PM »

All four babies have hatched and Mom is feeding them. They look wonderful. Does anyone know if there are any falcon watchers in Elk River?

Mary Ann thumbsup

Good news!  clap

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-Jun-12, 06:21:18 PM »

These guys got a late start this year as they are a brand new pair.  The female Dot from last year is fine though, she's been discovered nesting elsewhere this year so whew and not sure on the male as he was unbanded so he may or may not be with Dot.

One egg, possibly two pipped this morning so hatching expected any time now.  From the site:

A little about the adult falcons:

This is a new pair to our nesting box. The male falcon’s name is Sawatzke. He was banded at the Monticello Nuclear Generating Plant near Monticello, Minn. in 2009. The female falcon is unbanded

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-Jun-12, 06:25:03 PM »

These guys got a late start this year as they are a brand new pair.  The female Dot from last year is fine though, she's been discovered nesting elsewhere this year so whew and not sure on the male as he was unbanded so he may or may not be with Dot.

One egg, possibly two pipped this morning so hatching expected any time now.  From the site:

A little about the adult falcons:

This is a new pair to our nesting box. The male falcon’s name is Sawatzke. He was banded at the Monticello Nuclear Generating Plant near Monticello, Minn. in 2009. The female falcon is unbanded

SAY-WHATZ-KE is his name?? Saw-watz-ke!!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-Jun-12, 08:07:21 PM »

Mom is helping baby out of the egg!!!  wub2  She laid back down but I saw half a baby...oh she's up again..there it is..still half in shell.  wub2
« Last Edit: 03-Jun-12, 08:13:08 PM by carly » Logged
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-Jun-12, 08:25:35 PM »

One is out for sure!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-Jun-12, 08:28:36 PM »

I hear it and mom was eating something out of the shell!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-Jun-12, 08:32:09 PM »

I hear it and mom was eating something out of the shell!

I saw that too-I think she was nipping away the edge of the shell

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03-Jun-12, 08:36:36 PM »

It doesn't matter how many times I see eggs hatching, I always get excited  wub2
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: