THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 09:25:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Peregrine cam in Australia  (Read 293828 times)
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: 14-Sep-14, 11:05:02 AM »

Well it wasn't Beau's fault this time-guess she must have noticed something wrong with the egg...blessings to the remaining eggs  pray

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: 14-Sep-14, 02:19:09 PM »

Posted update:

http://falconcamproject.org/

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 14-Sep-14, 06:12:13 PM »

Fingers crossed for the 2 remaining eggs!!

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 17-Sep-14, 08:32:04 PM »

Seems like things are settling in with Swift & Beau, taking turns with the 2 eggs.  Hopefully this means that all is well with both! sunshine

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 19-Sep-14, 09:51:05 AM »

Postings on webcam blog:

broken egg retrieved
Published 19 September, 2014 | By Cilla Kinross
I went up to collect the broken egg today and caused some disturbance, so the remaining eggs were uncovered for about 25 minutes. Will get back to you with results on egg thickness as soon as possible.

egg shell thickness
I took 20 measurements of the egg using calipers on the broken edges to try and avoid the curve and the average was 0.31 mm (standard deviation of 0.02).

According to USGS Biological and Ecotoxicological Characteristics of Terrestrial Vertebrate Species Residing in Estuaries ‘Peregrine Falcon’ pre DDT shell thickness is generally around 0. 35-36 and post DDT it dropped by 10-22 % to 0.27-0.29.

So our Swift’s eggs would seem to be quite thin.  This may reflect the high percentage of starlings and pigeons in their diet as contaminants tend to accumulate particularly strongly in these species.

I’ll see what it costs to have the eggshell (which is now in pieces) tested for contaminants.

Comments are welcome.

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: 19-Sep-14, 10:18:40 AM »

Postings on webcam blog:

broken egg retrieved
I went up to collect the broken egg today and caused some disturbance, so the remaining eggs were uncovered for about 25 minutes. Will get back to you with results on egg thickness as soon as possible.

egg shell thickness
I took 20 measurements of the egg using calipers on the broken edges to try and avoid the curve and the average was 0.31 mm (standard deviation of 0.02).

According to USGS Biological and Ecotoxicological Characteristics of Terrestrial Vertebrate Species Residing in Estuaries ‘Peregrine Falcon’ pre DDT shell thickness is generally around 0. 35-36 and post DDT it dropped by 10-22 % to 0.27-0.29.

So our Swift’s eggs would seem to be quite thin.  This may reflect the high percentage of starlings and pigeons in their diet as contaminants tend to accumulate particularly strongly in these species.

I’ll see what it costs to have the eggshell (which is now in pieces) tested for contaminants.

Comments are welcome.

Seems strange they did fine with their eggs previous to last year, could they be using DDT again in this part of Australia?  Or is it just the age of Swift?  Hope it's not too expensive to test for contaminants, because this would definitely answer the question!  Praying the remaining 2 eggs have a bit thicker shell!

~~Edwin Markham
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 19-Sep-14, 10:23:59 AM »

Also praying that having other two eggs be uncovered for 25 minutes didn't cause any harm. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 19-Sep-14, 11:12:40 AM »

First of all, why would they even go up to retrieve the egg during nesting?? They wonder why Swift was off the eggs for 25 minutes!! Don't they understand, it's not a good idea to go up there at all???  stupid

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 19-Sep-14, 11:16:13 AM »

Postings on webcam blog:

broken egg retrieved

egg shell thickness

Comments are welcome.

Seems strange they did fine with their eggs previous to last year, could they be using DDT again in this part of Australia?  Or is it just the age of Swift?  Hope it's not too expensive to test for contaminants, because this would definitely answer the question!  Praying the remaining 2 eggs have a bit thicker shell!

Interesting read on DDT:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2007/10/09/2054547.htm

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 19-Sep-14, 11:20:22 AM »

My thoughts exactly, Donna.  And thanks for the article, Kris.  I didn't realize that DDT wasn't banned in Australia until 1987, several years after it was banned here in the US. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 19-Sep-14, 11:58:53 AM »

First of all, why would they even go up to retrieve the egg during nesting?? They wonder why Swift was off the eggs for 25 minutes!! Don't they understand, it's not a good idea to go up there at all???  stupid

The eggs are probably ok uncovered for 25 minutes depending on the air temperature at the nest sight. People just don't think sometimes!  Roll Eyes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 19-Sep-14, 12:16:18 PM »

My thoughts exactly, Donna.  And thanks for the article, Kris.  I didn't realize that DDT wasn't banned in Australia until 1987, several years after it was banned here in the US. 

I didn't realize they banned it that many years after we did either plus the half-life of DDT was quite surprising!

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: 19-Sep-14, 05:21:56 PM »

Interesting article, Kris, thanks for sharing!  I didn't think they would go up after the shell either, but they must really want to know, to disturb Swift like that. That Cilla must be a very brave person-not sure I would want to upset a nesting pefa!  Shocked

~~Edwin Markham
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 19-Sep-14, 06:10:45 PM »

I didn't realize they banned it that many years after we did either plus the half-life of DDT was quite surprising!

I seem to recall a discussion of this last year. And I wonder if there has been any research into whether DDT could be stored in the polar ice that's melting...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 19-Sep-14, 07:00:18 PM »

I seem to recall a discussion of this last year. And I wonder if there has been any research into whether DDT could be stored in the polar ice that's melting...

http://www.geotimes.org/aug08/article.html?id=nn_glaciers.html

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: