THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 01:23:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Peregrine cam in Australia  (Read 293794 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: 01-Nov-14, 09:51:49 AM »

http://youtu.be/kC14pjqGRbE

A tender moment by Skygirlblue

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: 01-Nov-14, 10:52:05 AM »

Very sweet-thanks for sharing!  wub2

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: 01-Nov-14, 09:07:19 PM »

Awww...I just love these two! heart

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: 03-Nov-14, 08:33:42 PM »

Yay!  The streams work on Chrome again! Finally!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: 12-Nov-14, 07:49:41 PM »

Aspro is getting so big!

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: 15-Nov-14, 06:46:01 AM »

http://youtu.be/2298elKxbUE

Cute!

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 15-Nov-14, 09:02:21 AM »

Awww...helping his Momma clean her wing Wink

~~Edwin Markham
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: 15-Nov-14, 11:52:28 AM »

That was cute!  wub2

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 15-Nov-14, 09:14:40 PM »

Aspro has fledged!  Accidental?  Really windy there with many concerned..hope he's OK!   Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 15-Nov-14, 10:45:36 PM »

Aspro has fledged!  Accidental?  Really windy there with many concerned..hope he's OK!   Sad

It's too soon isn't it!?  Shocked

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 15-Nov-14, 11:09:26 PM »

It's too soon isn't it!?  Shocked

I think I read Aspro's 38 days old.  Some watcher on BCAW says she was watching him/her kind of balancing on the nest ledge..it was very windy..she went to check something in her house, came back and Aspro was gone!  Nothing reported from people there since so who knows how he is.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: 16-Nov-14, 06:21:04 AM »

Aspro has surprised everyone and caught us on the hop by fledging early, although it appears it wasn’t entirely intended, nor was Aspro psyched and ready. Saturday 15th November 2014,  5.05pm local time Aspro left the eyrie during very strong winds and has now excperienced a night of rain and more strong wind – entirely out of character around Orange for many weeks now (high fire danger and total fire bans just the day before). At just 37 days old Aspro took flight from the Concrete Hilton, which is 2 or 3 days earlier than expected but still within the average.

Indeed Aspro has been showing increasing agitation over the past few days and for a full 2 hours before skipping off was madly flapping, jumping around and getting very close to the ledge – too close it seems this time as initial pics show Aspro desperately trying to get back up without luck, before disappearing east around the tower.

Two hours was spent this afternoon walking campus, down around the vineyards (located just east of the tower), through the tree and shrub thickets and around campus (as has been the need for previous fledgings), but to no avail. The good sign is that there hasn’t been any pile of peregrine feathers anywhere and a few seasons ago Solo disappeared before proudly returning 5 days later in cries of excitement. A worrying sign is that Swift sat on the ledge the whole time and never raised a cry while I was walking through the trees – a sign that she doesn’t know where Aspro is either, as normally she’d be making herself heard.

An email will go around the whole of campus to keep an eye out for a lost peregrine fledgling this week and once found we’ll identify but leave alone.

We can but hope Aspro survived the rainy night and has found shelter off the ground….. always sad to see the eyrie empty again, but after a positive sighting we’ll be overjoyed at having observed yet another new peregrine falcon obtain its wings.

Nov 16
It seems from watching the footage that Aspro fell asleep on the ledge and simply fell out.   She then appeared to try and scrabble back in, but lost her footage.   It’s Sunday afternoon here, and this happened as Scott pointed out just after 5pm yesterday before a night of rain.    I will go and have another look around and get back to you asap but I have off-campus work commitments Monday and Tuesday, so be patient.

http://youtu.be/yElP5AEZ7lA
  Poor little guy, hope he's OK  Sad

She sleeps then looks around.

« Last Edit: 16-Nov-14, 06:30:45 AM by Donna » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 16-Nov-14, 10:33:37 AM »

Be safe Aspro!  star

-John Burroughs
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 16-Nov-14, 11:34:43 PM »

Poor Aspro...hope all is ok  Sad

~~Edwin Markham
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 17-Nov-14, 07:01:24 AM »

Hard to believe she has not been seen or heard!! Swift just hangs in the nest and seems not so interested. Maybe dad is with Aspro. Not many volunteers either!! I'd be out there all day looking! This is so strange.

I came in late this afternoon to the university and had a look around, but again no luck.  Mind you,  it’s a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack because of all the long grass and bushes around the area.  Some of the university grounds are landscaped, but there is a large patch of ‘bush’ just below the nest-box.   Swift was in the box and took no notice of me, which is admittedly odd.

Thank you for all the comments and queries.  I’ll try and take these on board.  It is unfortunately a very busy time of year for me, so cannot do updates continuously throughout the day.   I understand why some of you are upset, and I realise that you are all anxiously waiting for news, so I am trying my best.  I haven’t had a day off since September.    In fact,  I’m considering turning down a (semi-paid) board position for next year because of the time needed, not to mention the bad timing.  Last year the work came over Christmas/New so that made it easy.  It requires assessment of 200 applications for grants for the Environmental Trust (A$4 million) and is due next week…. I also have many other commitments for work and community organisations.

Assigning someone else to do the  (peregrine) work is not easy.   There is no funding available for this (and nor for Scott and myself, I should add).  I am an Adjunct Lecturer in  Environmental Management at the university (ie unpaid) and Scott is starting up a new IT business and is no longer on campus (although has access, thank goodness).  We are in a rural area, so do not have a large pool of volunteers.     I did have some voluntary help while I was in Finland during our winter, but the work is more complicated at this time of year and it needs to be someone completely trustworthy as they would be using my computer.   But thank you for this suggestion and I will see if I can find someone suitable.

I was hoping to get an Honours student, but just one nest-box is unlikely to produce enough suitable data, so I would have to think carefully about an appropriate project.    I tried to get permission initially for banding (= ringing) the chicks, but this was knocked back by our animal ethics’ committee.  However, I could try again next year as I’ve kept up my banding licence and the composition of the committee has since changed.

Anyway I very much appreciate your comments.   The university community has been alerted to the Aspro problem and Scott and I have both sent around instructions to staff as to what to do if they find her (most of the students have gone on holiday).   I’ll be in tomorrow afternoon to have another search and provide an update tomorrow or Wednesday.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: