THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 02:29:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Peregrine cam in Australia  (Read 291286 times)
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: 19-Nov-15, 08:15:19 AM »

Cilla Kinross says:
19 November, 2015 at 6:29 pm
I found what I assumed to be Walga a bit disoriented near the back door to a building this morning and placed her back right in one of the roost trees, using a ladder to get her up. I have good photo, but my card reader is at home. This is the tree right at the centre of the copse of trees.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: 19-Nov-15, 08:29:31 AM »

Good luck lil ones!! I want to hear about all 3!!  wub2

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: 19-Nov-15, 08:45:01 AM »

Me too!   heart heart heart

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: 19-Nov-15, 12:06:54 PM »

Me three!  heart heart heart

There is not even a passing mention of Tardy on the site. No indication that they might, or will, search for the little guy.

Reminds me too much of last year.  Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: 19-Nov-15, 02:28:09 PM »

Me three!  heart heart heart

There is not even a passing mention of Tardy on the site. No indication that they might, or will, search for the little guy.

Reminds me too much of last year.  Sad

They need watchers!!! Especially here, too many disappear!! Heartbreaking!!  Sad  We need some traveling watchers!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: 19-Nov-15, 04:11:18 PM »

I am more confident about Tardy than I was about Aspro.  Aspro was blown out of the nest when he wasn't ready. Tardy fledged intentionally and his takeoff was strong.

Remember that this nestbox is part of a research study and those who run it are scientists.  They strike me as being a bit more detached than we are. They also seem to be much more interested in the development of the eyasses than they are in the development of the fledglings.   Perhaps that is the focus of the study.  

Another thing I have found interesting is that if a fledgling is okay but in an area that they feel is not safe, they don't hesitate to move it themselves.  They're much more willing to initiate physical contact with the birds.  I'm guessing that's because they don't have enough watchers and the people they do have don't have enough time to devote to watching for hours on end.  

Finally, the area they are searching, although it's on a college campus, looks like it's not an urban setting and has a lot more trees than we have here.  Maybe there are more places for fledglings to hide there.    

I have a feeling that Diamond and Bula know where Tardy is and that he is fine, but just the same, I'd like confirmation.  
« Last Edit: 19-Nov-15, 04:22:32 PM by patsy6 » Logged

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: 20-Nov-15, 12:28:52 AM »

Cilla found Walga and Tumbler perched in the same tree. They are such beautiful fledglings,

Still no sign of Tardy.  Sad

I hope you are right about him, Patsy.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: 20-Nov-15, 12:31:40 AM »

One of the parents spent time at the nest a little while ago, perhaps looking for some shade.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: 20-Nov-15, 08:56:29 AM »

Thanks Alison.  Those are gorgeous pictures! 

As for Tardy, Cilla says:

No sign of little Tardy yet, but I haven’t given up hope.  Just fledged juveniles have often disappeared for five days or more before finding their way back to the roost.

Apart from Aspro, who fell out of the nest in a storm last year and was never found, and one who hurt her leg during hunting-training, we have always had success with our fledglings finding their way in the world, so let’s keep hoping and looking.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: 20-Nov-15, 09:10:48 AM »

Awww..I hope Tardy is OK and they see him soon.  He had a good first flight, from what was seen on the video.  They are beautiful!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: 25-Nov-15, 11:43:41 AM »

AWESOME NEWS:::::

A late afternoon stroll in the park today revealed no less than five peregrines within easy reach of each other.  The photos are not much chop, but I’m pretty sure Tardy is the one in the tree fork bottom left.   One sister is centre top and the other is bottom right, partly hidden.

I also took one a bit closer of Tardy and one of the sisters, which shows off the size difference a bit better.

Tardy

And the parents were not far away, keeping a watchful eye (and noisy scold).  All three youngsters took to the wing for brief flights when I was photographing them, but they (the parents) didn’t budge.

I spent today going through the tapes since the last fledge and both parents have been visiting the box regularly, cleaning up some of the debris (Diamond took the galah head…) with Diamond over-nighting most nights.  She even brought in some prey recently (pigeon), which seems a bit odd, but perhaps they will visit the box again fairly soon.   Previous fledgelings have used the box once they start hunting.

So I guess we are all feeling a lot better now!    clap thumbsup 2thumbsup bow heart

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: 25-Nov-15, 11:52:25 AM »

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!  Thanks for posting, Donna.  For once my confidence was correctly placed.  And I love the photo of all three in the tree.   2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: 25-Nov-15, 12:19:03 PM »

W O O H O O

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: 06-Dec-15, 03:55:19 PM »

Moving around  2thumbsup

After some frustrating days of not being able to locate our youngsters, some friends and I finally found them in a dead tree several hundred metres from the nest.   This is probably due to the fact that this tree is the only large dead tree without other trees too close, so ideal for ‘flight training’.   We did have two dead pine trees close to the nest, but these were felled for safety reasons.

http://falconcamproject.org/

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: 27-Aug-16, 06:41:26 PM »

2016 egg #1 for Diamond and Bula! https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-23YU18YsO0

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: