THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:17:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Peregrine cam in Australia  (Read 291240 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: 03-Oct-17, 12:51:41 PM »

This was the next feeding. Once again,  Xavier delivered food to Diamond. Until the chicks began to hatch, I had not seen him bring food for some time, although he has been very willing to incubate.

The first chick had another good feed, and the new chick had a little bit of food.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: 04-Oct-17, 09:16:49 AM »

Such cute little fuzzballs!  Thanks, Alison.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 04-Oct-17, 09:28:50 AM »

Hoping for the best with these guys!! No lost fledglings!!  heart

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: 04-Oct-17, 03:47:52 PM »

Hoping for the best with these guys!! No lost fledglings!!  heart

Me too, Donna! No more Aspro situations, I hope.
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: 04-Oct-17, 03:58:26 PM »

Xavier is a first time dad. As you may recall, he was the somewhat non-interested step-dad in last year's drama.  Diamond was awesome, raising three healthy fledglings after losing their dad, Bula, just before hatching. So far this year Xavier's done very well, both with incubating and now bringing food for the babies. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: 04-Oct-17, 04:09:00 PM »

Xavier is a first time dad. As you may recall, he was the somewhat non-interested step-dad in last year's drama.  Diamond was awesome, raising three healthy fledglings after losing their dad, Bula, just before hatching. So far this year Xavier's done very well, both with incubating and now bringing food for the babies. 

You're right, Patsy, Xavier is doing much better this year. It's good to see him bringing in food for his chicks. Last year, the chicks were not his, and he did not want to participate in raising them. Diamond is a great Mom; she is very gentle and patient with the chicks, especially during feedings.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: 04-Oct-17, 04:12:50 PM »

The last glimpse I had shows that there is still one unhatched egg. However, the Internet went down here for several hours, and then the Orange site was taken down for maintenance, so that could have changed.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: 04-Oct-17, 05:02:09 PM »

From  a few minutes ago:

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: 04-Oct-17, 05:59:31 PM »

Apparently that last one is stuck.  Now Diamond is blocking our view of the chicks and seems to be just shading them, perhaps trying to give the littlest one some space to break free.  I do hope he/she makes it! Both Diamond and Xavier took turns trying to break the shell, to no avail.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: 04-Oct-17, 08:23:25 PM »

Apparently that last one is stuck.  Now Diamond is blocking our view of the chicks and seems to be just shading them, perhaps trying to give the littlest one some space to break free.  I do hope he/she makes it! Both Diamond and Xavier took turns trying to break the shell, to no avail.

I thought that might well be the case. In that situation, an assisted hatch would probably be the only way to free the little one. I don't know if there is anyone there who could do this, or who would even consider doing it. It is not really difficult, but timing is crucial.
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: 05-Oct-17, 03:11:21 PM »

Diamond is still incubating the two chicks who have hatched and the one still partially in the egg. It is probably dead.  She's got her wing over it. Fortunately I think it's warm enough there that the other two chicks will probably be all right if they're not totally tucked in.  She was panting yesterday, as if it was hot. At least I hope so.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: 09-Oct-17, 10:12:44 AM »

Apparently Diamond has done her sad duty.

Vale egg # 3
Published 9 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross
I’m just back from Sydney and will take several days to catch up, but I can confirm that on 8th October at 0739 h,  Diamond picked up egg, took it the ledge, possibly opened the shell a bit more, then took it as if to feed to the chicks; thought better of it (and the chicks did not show much interest), spent a bit of time at the ledge (perhaps eating, but her back was turned), then took off with it.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: 09-Oct-17, 03:39:18 PM »

Apparently Diamond has done her sad duty.

Vale egg # 3
Published 9 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross
I’m just back from Sydney and will take several days to catch up, but I can confirm that on 8th October at 0739 h,  Diamond picked up egg, took it the ledge, possibly opened the shell a bit more, then took it as if to feed to the chicks; thought better of it (and the chicks did not show much interest), spent a bit of time at the ledge (perhaps eating, but her back was turned), then took off with it.

Thank you for the update, Patsy. It is very sad that the third chick was not able to hatch. I think Diamond and Xavier did what they could to help, but it was not enough.  Sad

From where I am, the cams are not working at all now. The information page is also down.

Last night one of the cams worked for a few seconds. Diamond was feeding the two remaining chicks.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: 26-Oct-17, 09:47:33 AM »

The two surviving chicks are doing well, and Xavier is proving to be a good daddy.  They have been named Bali and Marragaay.  You can catch up on what's happening at http://falconcamproject.org/.  Scroll down and you'll see some great photos of the whole family, with Xavier bringing in prey.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: 26-Oct-17, 11:50:14 AM »

The two surviving chicks are doing well, and Xavier is proving to be a good daddy.  They have been named Bali and Marragaay.  You can catch up on what's happening at http://falconcamproject.org/.  Scroll down and you'll see some great photos of the whole family, with Xavier bringing in prey.

I peek in once in a while..glad things are going well, so far!

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: